the weight of the soul

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2012, 05:20 AM
the weight of the soul
while on one of my breaks at work, someone was telling me about an experiment done to weigh the soul. i remained skeptical, saying there are many factors to take into account. he went on to say it had be done multiple times and came up with the same answer "the soul weighs 1gram." i thanked him for telling me about it, i do enjoy when people give me new things to research in my free time. so i went and found this article: weight of the soul

this article suggests that it was only done twice, once with humans and once with dogs. but from what my colleague was telling me it was replicated in russia and at harvard. i was curious if anyone else has done extensive research into this and could direct me to some resources i might be able to study or follow-up experiments that were done. from the above article it seems that the test was flawed and inconclusive.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2012, 07:42 AM
RE: the weight of the soul
(27-08-2012 05:20 AM)Kevin Wrote:  while on one of my breaks at work, someone was telling me about an experiment done to weigh the soul. i remained skeptical, saying there are many factors to take into account. he went on to say it had be done multiple times and came up with the same answer "the soul weighs 1gram." i thanked him for telling me about it, i do enjoy when people give me new things to research in my free time. so i went and found this article: weight of the soul

this article suggests that it was only done twice, once with humans and once with dogs. but from what my colleague was telling me it was replicated in russia and at harvard. i was curious if anyone else has done extensive research into this and could direct me to some resources i might be able to study or follow-up experiments that were done. from the above article it seems that the test was flawed and inconclusive.

There's no such thing as a soul. Simple answer. Y'welcome. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post
27-08-2012, 08:02 AM
I do know of one good physics joke that talks about the soul.

Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or Endothermic (absorbs heat)?

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
27-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Actually when I dug into this further I remember reading that the tests were very inconsistent (first time I read it I was interested but later found it to be "not solid"). Sometimes the weight not being the same. Sometimes regaining the weight. Sometimes losing more. Everything from the gasses in the intestinal system to people losing water or mass when they die. There was never any solid conclusive evidence of what was lost or why it differed.

With inconclusive results, and varying results, I don't think it would be conclusive to say it would be a soul. After all.. what is a soul?
27-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Even if that measurement was accurate, which it isn't, how does that prove a supernatural post-mortem identity?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
27-08-2012, 09:09 AM
(27-08-2012 09:02 AM)Logisch Wrote:  After all.. what is a soul?

An explanation of the life-source, as envisaged by non neuro-biologists. This is 2012, people... enough of this nonsense. Move along, now <claps hands> no gods, no souls...

...dualists still can't explain how a ghost could drive a car.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-08-2012, 09:09 AM
This is bunk (obviously, but I'll proceed). Everytime it was tested, weights were different and the believing doctor averaged the weights to be the weight of the soul. The scientific answer was that different moistures after death had evaporated.

I think snopes has a write up and a few different links about it.
27-08-2012, 09:13 AM
Welcome to TTA, Kevin,

Subject matter aside, the description of the study that you've provided was for a meaningless experiment done in 1907. If something like that was valid, it would have been peer-reviewed and replicated many, many times in the past 105 years. This is simply anecdotal evidence at best, and pretty flawed at that. You're co-worker is going to have to provide more proof if they're going to convince anyone. But otherwise, I like your response: thank them. Now hopefully you won't have to talk to them about it again!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
27-08-2012, 03:23 PM
thank you, i was hoping to come back at him with information from multiple sources, not just 1. and possibly a study that calculated what actually happened in those bodies upon death. i like to be thorough, as to not leave room for doubt. but i guess the study was too unpredictable to figure out what caused the bodies to lose different amounts of weight presicely.
27-08-2012, 03:26 PM
When I searched Bing just now, every link on the first page was to something referencing the 1901 Macdougal study which is completely unreliable as a scientific study. If this co-worker of yours wants to provide more evidence, the burden is on him as there is no reason to believe what he has to say otherwise.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel