the worlds truest evil

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2014, 07:10 AM
RE: the worlds truest evil
(04-10-2014 06:30 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 06:27 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Says you, I FUCKING LOVE VEGETABLES!

I dunno the wheelchair is very hard to eat.

Not if you have snake jaws.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2014, 07:11 AM
(03-10-2014 07:29 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  This is the coolest video ...thanks for sharing it. I'm curious though as to why the two google searches between his friends, on the exact same term, turned up different results? Unsure I just need some clarity on that part.

Google uses your past search history and which items you clicked on to prioritize what it offers during your next search. It is not returning an unbiased list of results.

The more you use it the more you will see the types of things you are used to seeing. In some ways it is good when the effect is "learning" to interpret your search requests to offer what you are most likely interested in finding. On the other hand it means that it is easy to end up in the same kind of bubble that religious communities create -- you get constant reinforcement of what you already believe.

The least appealing aspect is that Google is able to create a profile of you that is valuable to advertisers wanting to target people and even to governments wanting to profile people.

I don't see it as any sort of conspiracy so much as a consequence or people getting carried away with asking "can we" and not asking "should we". What I'd like to see is an option to tell google to treat any given search request as if it was your first use so that you get the least biased result. As it is now I have to try to vary search terms and search down later results pages to try to ensure I'm not just confirming preconceptions.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
04-10-2014, 12:14 PM
(04-10-2014 07:11 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(03-10-2014 07:29 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  This is the coolest video ...thanks for sharing it. I'm curious though as to why the two google searches between his friends, on the exact same term, turned up different results? Unsure I just need some clarity on that part.

Google uses your past search history and which items you clicked on to prioritize what it offers during your next search. It is not returning an unbiased list of results.

The more you use it the more you will see the types of things you are used to seeing. In some ways it is good when the effect is "learning" to interpret your search requests to offer what you are most likely interested in finding. On the other hand it means that it is easy to end up in the same kind of bubble that religious communities create -- you get constant reinforcement of what you already believe.

The least appealing aspect is that Google is able to create a profile of you that is valuable to advertisers wanting to target people and even to governments wanting to profile people.

I don't see it as any sort of conspiracy so much as a consequence or people getting carried away with asking "can we" and not asking "should we". What I'd like to see is an option to tell google to treat any given search request as if it was your first use so that you get the least biased result. As it is now I have to try to vary search terms and search down later results pages to try to ensure I'm not just confirming preconceptions.

I honestly had no idea. This is fascinating, to me. Thanks for explaining. Cool

Be true to yourself. Heart