theist to agnostic to atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2014, 07:18 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2014 07:22 PM by sporehux.)
theist to agnostic to atheist
Theists to agnostic is a given, but why (those that have) did you move from an Agnostic to an Atheist position.

Personally I felt dishonest claiming agnosticism when evidence for man made deitys is overwhelming.
Even then I claimed agnosticism for years to avoid conflict with friends and family.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2014, 07:26 PM
RE: theist to agnostic to atheist
Well, as I've already explained on Brownshirt's topic, I haven't stopped being an agnostic from an epistemological position. But I never really was an agnostic from a logical perspective. That one went from not having any conception of what a god was, knowing what it was but holding no interest on the subject and therefore no opinions, to just atheist.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
08-01-2014, 07:37 PM
Every person on the planet is agnostic, because no one could ever know for sure. So the question should be, why theist or atheist, and the interpretation of evidence is the answer. Rational interpretation leads to atheism, irrational leads to theism.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like WillHopp's post
08-01-2014, 07:38 PM
Its rare to find Atheists that were not first indoctrinated Theists, to me they are "none's" unmolested..

Atheists are none's recovering from mental abuse.
Hence the compulsion to help others escape.
Agnosticism was my stockholm phase.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
08-01-2014, 08:56 PM
(08-01-2014 07:38 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Its rare to find Atheists that were not first indoctrinated Theists, to me they are "none's" unmolested..

*slowly raises paw*

[+] 3 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
08-01-2014, 09:00 PM
(08-01-2014 07:37 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Every person on the planet is agnostic, because no one could ever know for sure. So the question should be, why theist or atheist, and the interpretation of evidence is the answer. Rational interpretation leads to atheism, irrational leads to theism.

That depends on the theist; some had their interpretation forced onto them.

[+] 3 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
08-01-2014, 09:05 PM
(08-01-2014 09:00 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 07:37 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Every person on the planet is agnostic, because no one could ever know for sure. So the question should be, why theist or atheist, and the interpretation of evidence is the answer. Rational interpretation leads to atheism, irrational leads to theism.

That depends on the theist; some had their interpretation forced onto them.

True dat.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2014, 06:28 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2014 06:39 AM by anonymous66.)
I did call myself an agnostic for several months, before identifying as an atheist. To me, an agnostic is just someone who says we can't know for sure about some God's existence.... and my reasoning went something like this. All religions are man-made, but perhaps there is some unknowable God that was a prime-mover, we can't know for sure. But, the only reason we think this deistic God may exist in the first place is because we humans have a propensity to see agency in nature.

Even those that identify as agnostic must decide whether they are agnostic theists, or agnostic atheists, in my estimation.
[+] 1 user Likes anonymous66's post
09-01-2014, 07:55 AM
(08-01-2014 07:18 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Theists to agnostic is a given, but why (those that have) did you move from an Agnostic to an Atheist position.

You're using the terms incorrectly.

Theism is binary. You either believe in one or more gods, or you don't. If you don't, you're atheist. This is a stance of belief.

Gnosticism/agnosticism is a stance of knowledge. You either feel your beliefs are knowable/provable, or you don't.

So, if you don't believe in any gods, but you don't feel that you can be truly certain about your belief, you're an agnostic atheist. If you feel certain that there are no gods out there, you are a gnostic atheist. Technically, agnostic theism is possible (I would have considered myself one for the last year or so that I still believed in God), but when most people say "agnostic", they mean "agnostic atheist".

As for me, personally, I'd consider myself an agnostic atheist. That being said, I see no evidence for any gods, so I see no reason to take the possibility of them seriously. So, while I don't technically assert that there are no gods out there, functionally speaking, I live my life as though there are none.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
09-01-2014, 09:30 AM
(09-01-2014 07:55 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Theism is binary. You either believe in one or more gods, or you don't. If you don't, you're atheist. This is a stance of belief.
No, actually it isn't. You have three possibilities:

1. Theist (belief in the existence of gods)
2. Weak atheist (absence of belief and absence of disbelief, simply having no beliefs regarding the subject, neutral, undecided)
3. Strong atheist (absence of belief and presence of disbelief)