theist to agnostic to atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2014, 08:22 AM
RE: theist to agnostic to atheist
I don't think this is a problem about definitions. I think this is a problem about Maths.

I should know - I really don't like Math most days.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2014, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 13-01-2014 09:32 AM by Artie.)
(13-01-2014 07:23 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  It doesn't matter if there is a difference.
I presume that that statement means that you now understand the difference and stop equating the two.
Quote:They're all subsets of atheism.
The definition of an atheist is "any person who is not a theist. Sometimes this broader understanding is called "weak" or "implicit" atheism." http://atheism.about.com/od/aboutatheism...ism101.htm Now, how do you manage to call weak atheism a subset of atheism when "weak atheism" and "atheism" are just two names for the same thing? A strong atheist is also a person who is not a theist, but in addition to not being a theist he believes gods don't exist. Strong atheist is a subset of atheist/weak atheist.

You constantly keep claiming that theism is binary. That is of course impossible. You can't claim that theism can be split into theism/atheism simply because the definition of atheism is not theism. Why don't you claim that you can split a cheese into two pieces one of which is "not cheese"? Smile You can however claim that there are two kinds of theists by adding gnostic/agnostic. You can have a gnostic theist who claims to believe and know gods exist, and you can have an agnostic theist who believes gods exist but doesn't know for sure.
13-01-2014, 09:15 AM
(13-01-2014 08:56 AM)Artie Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 07:23 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  It doesn't matter if there is a difference.
I presume that that statement means that you now understand the difference and stop equating the two.
Quote:They're all subsets of atheism.
The definition of an atheist is "any person who is not a theist. Sometimes this broader understanding is called "weak" or "implicit" atheism." http://atheism.about.com/od/aboutatheism...ism101.htm Now, how do you manage to call weak atheism a subset of atheism when "weak atheism" and "atheism" are just two names for the same thing? A strong atheist is also a person who is not a theist, but in addition to not being a theist he believes gods don't exist. Strong atheist is a subset of atheist/weak atheist.

Yes and both of those group are Atheists. 2 question Belief and Knowledge both are binary. Do you actively believe in a god Y/N? Are you sure there is/isn't a god Y/N? If the answer to question 1 is N Atheist. Not that hard to figure out.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
13-01-2014, 09:47 AM
(13-01-2014 09:15 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Yes and both of those group are Atheists. 2 question Belief and Knowledge both are binary. Do you actively believe in a god Y/N? Are you sure there is/isn't a god Y/N? If the answer to question 1 is N Atheist. Not that hard to figure out.
Why don't you rewrite this post so it's possible to figure out what it's supposed to mean?
13-01-2014, 10:56 AM
To RobbyPants:

There is one easy way you can prove to us that "theism is binary". Simply take a group of one hundred theists and divide them into two groups: theists and atheists. If you can do that I will admit theism is binary. Smile
13-01-2014, 10:57 AM
(13-01-2014 10:56 AM)Artie Wrote:  To RobbyPants:

There is one easy way you can prove to us that "theism is binary". Simply take a group of one hundred theists and divide them into two groups: theists and atheists. If you can do that I will admit theism is binary. Smile

[Image: jiFfM.jpg]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
13-01-2014, 11:16 AM
(13-01-2014 08:56 AM)Artie Wrote:  

Yes, I understand that, but you're missing the context. The entire context of our disagreement is you saying that theism isn't binary.

(13-01-2014 08:56 AM)Artie Wrote:  You constantly keep claiming that theism is binary. That is of course impossible. You can't claim that theism can be split into theism/atheism simply because the definition of atheism is not theism.

No, it is quite possible. In fact, it's so possible that it is literally, tautologically true. The statement "atheism is the negation of theism" is a tautology, because that's what the definition of the word is. It's true by it's own definition, because, that's how the terms are defined!

Theism - believes in one or more gods.
Atheism - doesn't believe in one or more gods.

That's it! There's no overlap! There's no gap for a third group! Everything, I mean everything falls into one of those two sets. Never neither. Never both.

There is nothing wrong with splitting a group into two groups. We do it all the time. You're doing it with the subset of atheism.
13-01-2014, 12:05 PM
(13-01-2014 10:57 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 10:56 AM)Artie Wrote:  To RobbyPants:

[Image: jiFfM.jpg]
Yes that was my reaction too when he claimed that "theism is binary". Can you even believe that a person could claim that it is possible to split theism (belief in gods) into two parts where one part is "no belief in gods" when the very definition of theism is "belief in gods"?
13-01-2014, 12:13 PM
(13-01-2014 11:16 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Theism - believes in one or more gods.

That's it! There's no overlap! There's no gap for a third group! Everything, I mean everything falls into one of those two sets. Never neither. Never both.

There is nothing wrong with splitting a group into two groups. We do it all the time. You're doing it with the subset of atheism.
You say "theism is binary". Then split theism into two groups. Atheism is not one group of theism.
13-01-2014, 12:21 PM
(13-01-2014 12:13 PM)Artie Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 11:16 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Theism - believes in one or more gods.

You say "theism is binary". Then split theism into two groups. Atheism is not one group of theism.

So are you retarded or just illiterate?

[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post