theists' experiences

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2014, 10:33 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2014 10:37 PM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
theists' experiences
It seems every conversation hits a road block. Someone says "I've had religious experiences". How do you even deal with that? I believe they think they have but I don't think they actually have. Even deists say these things.

Anyone got any good videos? or any good input as to how you deal with this? I cannot get past looking at them like they should be in an insane asylum.

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2014, 10:40 PM
RE: theists' experiences
Ockham's Razor
[+] 1 user Likes Plan 9 from OS's post
06-11-2014, 10:49 PM
(06-11-2014 10:33 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  It seems every conversation hits a road block. Someone says "I've had religious experiences". How do you even deal with that? I believe they think they have but I don't think they actually have. Even deists say these things.

Anyone got any good videos? or any good input as to how you deal with this? I cannot get past looking at them like they should be in an insane asylum.

Sometimes it's a dream they say they had. Other times it's usually related to something they prayed for and got it. Of course, they always look past the times when they didn't get what they prayed for. It usually just ends up being a matter of counting the hits and ignoring the misses.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
06-11-2014, 10:51 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2014 10:58 PM by CleverUsername.)
Edit: Tried to post one of the Thinking Atheist videos and it doesn't seem to be working: The gist of it is, "Good for you. People have had experiences with other completely ludicrous things, too."

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
06-11-2014, 11:04 PM
(06-11-2014 10:33 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  It seems every conversation hits a road block. Someone says "I've had religious experiences". How do you even deal with that? I believe they think they have but I don't think they actually have. Even deists say these things.

"I've had Religious experiences."

"No you haven't; you've had is what you thought were religious experiences which were most likely brief moments of delusion coloured or even caused by religio-social pressures. Unless you would like to explain how you could have a religious experience about (X deity common to society) while people elsewhere report virtually the same 'experiences' with (any other deity common to example region)."

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
07-11-2014, 04:06 AM

Two words: Confirmation bias.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
07-11-2014, 06:08 AM
Sounds a lot like "I KNOW what I saw" from ufo and ghost sightings. Or [insert cryptid]

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
07-11-2014, 06:21 AM
You would have to ask them what "religious" means in this experience... if it's just unlikely or them picking up some image they never saw before, our brains are marvelous at fooling ourselves.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
07-11-2014, 06:26 AM
(06-11-2014 10:33 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  It seems every conversation hits a road block.

Your roadblock is my interstate... however if they don't wanna learn some theory of mind then argue consistency over time.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-11-2014, 06:29 AM
I think it would be a good time to bring up people that did really bad things because of religious experience and discuss why they are not like them. You might not get any where but if you can get them to start to question that would be good.