theists' experiences

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2014, 04:39 PM
RE: theists' experiences
(06-11-2014 10:33 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  It seems every conversation hits a road block. Someone says "I've had religious experiences". How do you even deal with that? I believe they think they have but I don't think they actually have. Even deists say these things.

Anyone got any good videos? or any good input as to how you deal with this? I cannot get past looking at them like they should be in an insane asylum.

Ugh. The religious experience.

When people dismiss all logic and will replace a sound logical explanation with a supernatural one.

Oh the toaster is broke. I refuse to believe the fuse has blown or there is an electrical fault.... It was GOD
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheStraightener's post
16-11-2014, 12:19 AM
I tend to be fairly skeptical about religious experiences. I just tend to put it down to coincidences. I always try and avoid calling anyone a liar unless they were a known liar. This is something I always try and do in debates. I will almost never call anyone a liar, I just believe that they are wrong but they firmly hold that belief. The same with personal anecdotes. I always prefer to presume that they are telling the truth as they perceived it.
A good example of this would be ghost stories. Although I disbelieve in ghosts, that being something I hold dogmatically, I don't doubt what they say, instead I doubt what they understand as the cause. I don't doubt that they saw a ghostly figure, I just believe they are wrong in thinking that it was a ghost when it was most likely a trick of the light.
I still believe in the possibility of the supernatural I just tend to see if it can be explained in a different way first.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
16-11-2014, 07:46 AM
My mom bases her entire Xtian experience on this, she gets goosebumps in church service. I understand, as an adult, why she dragged us into the Pentecostal religion, rolling on the floor, dancing through the aisles at church while banging a tambourine, etc. under the influence of the Holy Spirit can be an emotionally stirring spectacle.

Of course, standing in a meeting where the preacher tells you the end is here and it's time to drink poison Kool-aid is a stirring spectacle as well.

She's old and finds comfort in her childish delusion, I'll let her stew in it.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
16-11-2014, 02:21 PM
(06-11-2014 10:33 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  It seems every conversation hits a road block. Someone says "I've had religious experiences". How do you even deal with that? I believe they think they have but I don't think they actually have. Even deists say these things.

Anyone got any good videos? or any good input as to how you deal with this? I cannot get past looking at them like they should be in an insane asylum.

I just point out that all religions produce providence claims for their beliefs. Which then I go farther to point out that every extraordinary claim ever made has had people claiming the experience to be true, such as alien abductees to big foot advocates. If providence claims were took as evidence then all the extraordinary claims ever made would be validated by this.
[+] 1 user Likes StorMRising's post
18-11-2014, 11:55 PM
I had a vision of flying to a wizarding school in real life, therefore wizards must be real! (maybe Harry Potter as well)
19-11-2014, 07:03 AM
When you dig deep into these experiences, you find that people confuse improbability with impossibility most of the time. They credit the good to god, but don't credit the bad.

I've always tried to give credit to people when having a discussion no matter how crazy they sound so they don't just shut done. What I generally say is something like

"I realize you have had this experience, and there is something to be said about that. However, not having shared that experience, I can't relate to it just as you can't relate to my experiences."

They almost always understand that reasoning and don't get offended. After that, they have always listened to my presentation of facts.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
[+] 1 user Likes microterf's post