....then you might just be a troll

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2013, 02:36 PM
RE: ....then you might just be a troll
I don't think calling Jesus "Jebus" is trolling behavior (I agree it's a bit ridiculous so I don't do it, but this is an Atheist forum, so that's just something you can't be offended by--when in Rome, don't tell the Romans they can't say/do something because it offends you as an outsider; if I come to Oh Holy Lord In Heaven forum (made that up) and start saying "Jebus," then it's incredibly inflammatory, yes), but I agree we've been tossing the "troll" word around lately and it's not always necessary. On the other hand, freely registering an account on an Atheist forum to debate Atheists can come off an trolling behavior and, unfortunately, because of all of the actual trolling crap we put up with on social media, it's almost impossible to judge so for you it becomes guilty until proven innocent. It sucks, but it's the same way I'll be treated on a Christian forum. It's also why I don't go into the wild; predatory animals will maul or eat me, but I can't cry foul if they do.

Keep your rosaries out of my ovaries, and your theology out of my biology.
"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people." --Dr. House
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2013, 02:43 PM
See, Beard.

That's some good ol fashioned trolling. You had positively nothing to say. You even doubled down by making it an ad hom too. The Russian judge gives you a 9.7!
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
21-03-2013, 03:00 PM
If you have to start a thread about trolling just to point out your dislike for the word "Jeebus", with the primary intent of provoking a particular user into an emotional response, you just might be a troll.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
21-03-2013, 03:14 PM
Beardy's a pro troll. Makes these other trolls look weak by comparison. Sometimes people don't even realise they done got trolled.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-03-2013, 03:23 PM
(21-03-2013 03:00 PM)Impulse Wrote:  If you have to start a thread about trolling just to point out your dislike for the word "Jeebus", with the primary intent of provoking a particular user into an emotional response, you just might be a troll.

I neither like or dislike the word. I agree with darthbreezy that on an atheist forum you should expect people to ridicule Jesus from time to time. However it is often used here not ridicule a belief, but rather just to piss someone off. Calling PleaseJesus PleaseJeebus is a good example.

I got another one.

If you have to ridicule another forum members name.....well then you just might be a troll.
21-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Re: ....then you might just be a troll
Oh stop it you.
21-03-2013, 03:26 PM
(21-03-2013 03:23 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(21-03-2013 03:00 PM)Impulse Wrote:  If you have to start a thread about trolling just to point out your dislike for the word "Jeebus", with the primary intent of provoking a particular user into an emotional response, you just might be a troll.

I neither like or dislike the word. I agree with darthbreezy that on an atheist forum you should expect people to ridicule Jesus from time to time. However it is often used here not ridicule a belief, but rather just to piss someone off. Calling PleaseJesus PleaseJeebus is a good example.

I got another one.

If you have to ridicule another forum members name.....well then you just might be a troll.
Oh Jeebus Christ! Rolleyes

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
21-03-2013, 03:38 PM
(21-03-2013 03:26 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(21-03-2013 03:23 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I neither like or dislike the word. I agree with darthbreezy that on an atheist forum you should expect people to ridicule Jesus from time to time. However it is often used here not ridicule a belief, but rather just to piss someone off. Calling PleaseJesus PleaseJeebus is a good example.

I got another one.

Oh Jeebus Christ! Rolleyes

I laugh!
21-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Trollism can be subtle and get quite complex.
While no one expects the majority to agree much on anything I suppose trolling adds a bit of spice to those mish mashed potatoes. Undecided
21-03-2013, 04:17 PM
(21-03-2013 01:50 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  If you have to refer to Jesus Christ as Jeebus, then you might just be a troll.

I've never understood what is expected to be gained from this. Will a Christian, upon hearing Jesus' named misused, say to himself or herself, "Gee, I guess I was wrong about Jesus all along because he can be ridiculed." I go as far as capitalizing "Him" when referring to the Christian God so as to be as fair as possible towards those who I disagree with.

I do understand the purpose of this thread, though, and think it simply won't be as useful and you would hope. You have to realize that by insulting people who are insulting your deity, you're just giving them fodder for rationalizing and self-justifying it further. They'll say, "it's fair to do to him because he's doing it to me".

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user