this is what religion does?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2012, 05:14 AM
this is what religion does?
Just found this video about Westboro Baptist Church. I have heard of it before but as this video is short I watched it to the end...

Isn't this very sad? I am sorry that these kids are being brought up this way, and it is very sad what parents do, no regret...
Very sad... No

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2012, 05:24 AM
RE: this is what religion does?
How could you not have heard of it before with all the anti-WBC rants around? Too much LOL'n, prolly. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
22-07-2012, 05:29 AM
Yea, how could you NOT have herd of these vile pieces of shit?

You may remember them such protests as "we're gonna protest dead marines funerals because they were killed as punishment by god because the American government tolerates gays."

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
22-07-2012, 05:59 AM
I see this as different only by degree from kids being raised from infancy in a faith. A child has no choice but to go along with the religion imposed upon them by their parents in too many instances and really doesn't comprehend oftentimes what being religious signifies.

Going through confirmation in the Roman Catholic Church supposedly indicates that one has made a free, conscious choice to be a Catholic. Except, we were told that's what you did at the age I was confirmed. It never occurred to me to object, nor did I really understand what confirmation meant. It was just another rite of passage...jump through this hoop, too, get piece of meat.

It wasn't until decades later that I found out it's a meaningless ceremony. Once a person is baptized, you're counted as a member of the RCC for life. There is no resigning membership.

Less overt and blatantly hateful than the Westboro crew but just as insidious.
[+] 1 user Likes Her Dotness's post
22-07-2012, 06:22 AM
What is strange is how the father says he doesn't miss his daughter at all, he has lived with her for what - eighteen or more years.

For a normal human being, that is not possible. There is a physical impact, sort of a "weaning " process, when someone or even something that has been in a life for that long, disappears completely.

And he is already talking about his son being outcast, and how that won't bother him either. How can he possibly have love for that kid if he has already emotionally distanced himself?

Seriously sick.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
22-07-2012, 06:34 AM (This post was last modified: 22-07-2012 06:36 PM by palnai.)
some other things about them:
according to tv tropes and wikipedia before the church was started Fred Phelps [the head of the church] was for civil right and racial equality and is now is one of those hateful bigots
look up brick stone he has a few videos of where he mocks the church that are pretty funny
in another interview one of the parents said that if one of their children turned out to be gay then they would hope that they'd leave in the middle of the night and not come back
look up Jeremy Kyle's thing with westboro and you'll find a few videos where 3 people [1 adult and 2 teenagers] pretty much laugh at an old women who had to bury her son
and lastly look up thunderfoot's vid on them they tell them him to ask a question and in the same breath tell him to shut up

edit: after looking back at my post i realized two things : not to post right after waking up and that i never commented on the video that was posted.
that family is sick and sadly aren't in some nice padded room with a nice straight jacket for each of them as i cant understand how people dont think their mad for bring the children into it and teaching them things that the children are too young for [eg the signs and 'god hates gays' etc] though i would lock them up for the horrible song parodies alone
i do love the stories of them getting scared out of town though waving guns is going to far though cant blame the people for it
dont get me started on the laughing .. i get why religious people believe there is a hell cause then assholes like them would suffer

"Villain, i have done thy mother" - Aaron, Act IV, Scene II of Titus Andronicus
22-07-2012, 06:39 AM
answer to the first two answers by quoting myself:
Quote: I have heard of it before but
So, yes I heard of it before >> but I never cared to check it out before

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
22-07-2012, 06:40 AM
(22-07-2012 06:39 AM)Leela Wrote:  answer to the first two answers by quoting myself:
Quote: I have heard of it before but
So, yes I heard of it before >> but I never cared to check it out before

Sounds like you're in denial of the excess LOL'n. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]