those mythical decades we call the 70'-2012

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2012, 08:06 PM
RE: those mythical decades we call the 70'-2012
(11-11-2012 07:42 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(11-11-2012 07:38 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  are you saying I am trippy...... lol. no I just like to think about things a inquire there meaning. I am deep that way but if you inquiring that i do drugs then the answer is no.

In that case, it must be your keyboard that is tripping.

Hobo
maybe or maybe it's the fact that when i written this question I was typing in bed. never a good thing.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2012, 12:00 AM
(11-11-2012 04:25 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  
(11-11-2012 01:38 PM)Dom Wrote:  I think he is talking about old novels that depict the future - which is now. And how we are not where they used to think we would be, technologically etc.

And about how today's novels about the future will be looked upon by the generations of the future.

That's what I think the topic is.

that is the basic concept andf I would love to talk about that buttttt.... as the year progress the way we view the past changes. some how become more mythical in fiction. a good example would be any steam punk novel that treats steam power on par with nuclear. and yes now I am incorporated what you said because it's the same effect except back wards. people look at future decades and wonder what it's going to be. but with a little imagination the past is just as interesting. even with 20 20 hind site a lot of books seem to do what future generations of writers will do to us and that is.... make us a magical society that did not know science and used ancient forces to do our biding. that will be what they write about when they look back.

p.s. you think of the same effect I am but your thinking of it in reverse.

I don't think you are correct. We have technology now and unless we do something really stupid should always have technology. People of the future may have different technology perhaps even starships equipped with FTL engines of some sort. If so, they will definately know that we had it wrong and you can get above the speed of light or at least to it. The point is though, we have had technology for a few hundred years now. When I visit a museum and see out dated tech, I still know it is technology and not magic. The only way for people of the future to see us as having been magical is if we lose the ability to make technology. In the event of a plague or nuclear war that wipes out all the smart people that come up with the initial ideas, it would probably not be too long before our technology is just story and myth passed on by generation after generation.
12-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Okay, I think after the edit, I can understand your question. What you are asking is, "Will we be viewed as simplistic or primitive by the standards set in the future?" Yes, assuming mankind it still around we will be considered as somewhat simplistic. We will never be considered a Dark Age, the Dark Ages are so named because the people 'forgot' how to use the technology the had enjoyed before...architectural, farming technology, pluming...additionally they forgot the philosophy and math of classical antiquity, and were all but illiterate (save the church). Nothing even remotely like that has happened to us, and is unlikely to occur again anytime soon.

12-11-2012, 10:47 AM
(11-11-2012 08:06 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  
(11-11-2012 07:42 PM)DLJ Wrote:  In that case, it must be your keyboard that is tripping.

Hobo
maybe or maybe it's the fact that when i written this question I was typing in bed. never a good thing.

Shit! You got the right "it's"! I'm impressed.

12-11-2012, 04:38 PM
(12-11-2012 10:42 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Okay, I think after the edit, I can understand your question. What you are asking is, "Will we be viewed as simplistic or primitive by the standards set in the future?" Yes, assuming mankind it still around we will be considered as somewhat simplistic. We will never be considered a Dark Age, the Dark Ages are so named because the people 'forgot' how to use the technology the had enjoyed before...architectural, farming technology, pluming...additionally they forgot the philosophy and math of classical antiquity, and were all but illiterate (save the church). Nothing even remotely like that has happened to us, and is unlikely to occur again anytime soon.
except it has probably happened to an extent. let me give you an example. remember the day you used to remember phone numbers by heart.. you don't know because the ease of having them on your phone{sorry yes I am assuming.} but that ease of use. the problem with that is that people seem to be doing the ease of use thing a lit more. making them not only addicted to it but lazy. also the ease of access of information is making us dumber, {in my opinion.{ the fact is we in our history have not had so much access to info at yet know so little. though this will not lead to a dark age. more like a dumb age. dum dah duh. lol.

12-11-2012, 04:55 PM
(12-11-2012 04:38 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 10:42 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Okay, I think after the edit, I can understand your question. What you are asking is, "Will we be viewed as simplistic or primitive by the standards set in the future?" Yes, assuming mankind it still around we will be considered as somewhat simplistic. We will never be considered a Dark Age, the Dark Ages are so named because the people 'forgot' how to use the technology the had enjoyed before...architectural, farming technology, pluming...additionally they forgot the philosophy and math of classical antiquity, and were all but illiterate (save the church). Nothing even remotely like that has happened to us, and is unlikely to occur again anytime soon.
except it has probably happened to an extent. let me give you an example. remember the day you used to remember phone numbers by heart.. you don't know because the ease of having them on your phone{sorry yes I am assuming.} but that ease of use. the problem with that is that people seem to be doing the ease of use thing a lit more. making them not only addicted to it but lazy. also the ease of access of information is making us dumber, {in my opinion.{ the fact is we in our history have not had so much access to info at yet know so little. though this will not lead to a dark age. more like a dumb age. dum dah duh. lol.
I utterly disagree. We now remember passwords, user names - our own and others' - URLs, Apps, and so on.

The easy access to information allows us to think more deeply and more broadly about every subject. I can quickly find details or references without breaking stride and can formulate an argument or an idea that much more easily.

No, teh interwebz iz gud.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-11-2012, 05:03 PM
I thought these so-called "mythical decades" were going to be called The Age of Aquarius. Consider

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
12-11-2012, 05:08 PM
(12-11-2012 04:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 04:38 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  except it has probably happened to an extent. let me give you an example. remember the day you used to remember phone numbers by heart.. you don't know because the ease of having them on your phone{sorry yes I am assuming.} but that ease of use. the problem with that is that people seem to be doing the ease of use thing a lit more. making them not only addicted to it but lazy. also the ease of access of information is making us dumber, {in my opinion.{ the fact is we in our history have not had so much access to info at yet know so little. though this will not lead to a dark age. more like a dumb age. dum dah duh. lol.
I utterly disagree. We now remember passwords, user names - our own and others' - URLs, Apps, and so on.

The easy access to information allows us to think more deeply and more broadly about every subject. I can quickly find details or references without breaking stride and can formulate an argument or an idea that much more easily.

but we use the info so commonly/ it is reputition of use. that's why we remember passwords. herse is the other thing. the national iq has gone down and ys I know this is probably 50% no child left behind but from what last I remember we are just getting dumber.

sorry but I can't pull up the reports. they where a news story. also i can't spell reputition and spell check has failed me,

12-11-2012, 05:26 PM
(12-11-2012 05:08 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 04:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  I utterly disagree. We now remember passwords, user names - our own and others' - URLs, Apps, and so on.

but we use the info so commonly/ it is reputition of use. that's why we remember passwords. herse is the other thing. the national iq has gone down and ys I know this is probably 50% no child left behind but from what last I remember we are just getting dumber.

sorry but I can't pull up the reports. they where a news story. also i can't spell reputition and spell check has failed me,
Well, the national IQ can't go down. The average is 100, always, by definition. Look it up. On the internet.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-11-2012, 05:28 PM
sorry i just lacked the right turn but then again you just made my point.