thought to ponder

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2016, 06:57 PM
RE: thought to ponder
"Is the definition of a belief an individual opinion that everyone has the right to make for themselves?"

Belief has so many meanings that this kind of statement is not meaningful, so, no, this is not "the" definition of belief.

I agree that people have the right to form their own beliefs. I will never agree that any belief is exempt from being challenged or questioned. Doesn't mean you have to respond, or even listen, to the questions. The sincerity or emotional entanglement with the belief isn't pertinent. Unfortunately, intelligent, well-meaning, and/or kind people can cling very strongly to beliefs that are idiotic, harmful, and/or vile.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2016, 07:06 PM
definitely another annoying drive by.
22-12-2016, 07:48 PM
(22-12-2016 09:07 AM)jennylindstrom99@gmail.com Wrote:  Is the definition of a belief an individual opinion that everyone has the right to make for themselves?

Actually it isn't.
Belief, (according to St. Paul) is one of the "gifts" of the spirit.
"No one shall come to me UNLESS the Father draw him". ... Jesus

So according to Christians, a FEW are granted faith.
Unless you can take into account why the majority of every religion's followers are BORN into that religion, in their "opinion" forming, you're barking up the wrong tree.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
22-12-2016, 10:28 PM
(22-12-2016 09:07 AM)jennylindstrom99@gmail.com Wrote:  Then why are Christians ask to prove their choice? Shouldn't atheists be required the equal request to show evidence that proves God or any God does NOT exist? Or prove that there is no life after death?

The burden of proof by necessity falls on the party making a positive claim. It is vastly easier to prove that something does exist than to prove that it does not exist. The person making the claim that yes, a god exists need only produce suitable evidence for that god once. Hypothetically, someone claiming non-existence of a god could literally search the universe for eternity, find no evidence of a god, and still not be able to say with certainty that there was no god at all. It could, after all, be hiding somewhere so as not to be detected.

Accordingly, it's only reasonable for atheists to say "Prove it!" The believer's job is infinitely easier than that of the non-believer, yet in all of recorded history not one believer has been able to come up with the goods.

This is why I now just say "Nope, not convinced!" when someone makes a supernatural claim. It's a waste of time to debate the issue in any detail because there's no new information to assess.

Quote:Christianity is the only religion that claims moral truth.

It has done a very poor job of applying that supposed truth in the real world, and its worldview is cluttered up with some morally ghastly ideas like substitutionary atonement and original sin. Accordingly, the claim is of little or no value.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-12-2016, 03:21 AM
(22-12-2016 05:45 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Great points, unfigged Thumbsup

Laugh out load A new name is born.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
23-12-2016, 06:28 AM
(22-12-2016 09:07 AM)jennylindstrom99@gmail.com Wrote:  Where and why were these words created in every language understood as truth included in the foundation of all communication.

Uh oh, is this a reference to the Tower of Babble? This is one of those falsifiable stories in the bible.

The entire mythological framework of Genesis starts to unravel with this little fairy tale.

(22-12-2016 09:07 AM)jennylindstrom99@gmail.com Wrote:  Christianity is the only religion that claims moral truth.

That is simply not true, it's so untrue that I wonder if you are deliberately lying to see if you can get away with it. Drinking Beverage

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
23-12-2016, 06:49 AM
(22-12-2016 12:41 PM)Dom Wrote:  I really don't care who believes in what.

Enough said.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
23-12-2016, 07:07 AM
(23-12-2016 06:49 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(22-12-2016 12:41 PM)Dom Wrote:  I really don't care who believes in what.

Enough said.

I care as soon as people informed by that belief start telling me how to run my life.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
23-12-2016, 08:13 AM
(22-12-2016 02:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Just in case you're not another tiresome flyby we tend to get and actually care about discussion....

If I said I could cure a disease, wouidn't the first thing anyone would think of be "prove it?" Wouldn't you ask for some sort of evidence to support my assertion? What would your standard for evidence be?

What if I put up a website that had several testimonials that my method worked?

What if I included a "patent pending" blurb about that? Would you be more inclined to believe it then?

How about if I cleverly put up something claiming that a well known celebrity had used my method and claimed it to be true?

What sort of critical thought would you apply?

I am sold. Heal me, oh divine mom, please heal me!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
23-12-2016, 08:25 AM
New and improved!

Now with drive-by shitposting bots! Dodgy

(Fucking Ronco.)

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post