thought to ponder

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2016, 08:34 AM
RE: thought to ponder
Good grief, this reminds me of a lady I saw comment on an article on FB. She said:

"Think about it. If there was no GOD, there would be no atheists"

Circular reasoning makes me batty.

More accurate: If there were no gods, everyone would be atheist.

And why is the onus on atheists to PROVE something? We aren't the ones claiming something completely unproven and intangible is, in fact, real.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ShadowProject's post
23-12-2016, 09:12 AM
JennyL, darling, if you come back to the forum, maybe we can have an honest, sincere conversation about the subject of Jesus, your god, and Christianity. Then at least you'll understand what the Christians are really up against.
23-12-2016, 09:22 AM
(23-12-2016 03:21 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(22-12-2016 05:45 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Great points, unfigged Thumbsup

Laugh out load A new name is born.

Nah, unfigged's been unfigged for awhile. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
23-12-2016, 09:49 AM
G'day Jenny, and welcome. Smile

(22-12-2016 09:07 AM)jennylindstrom99@gmail.com Wrote:  I would like to present a question without representing any side.

Is the definition of a belief an individual opinion that everyone has the right to make for themselves?

Then why are Christians ask to prove their choice? Shouldn't atheists be required the equal request to show evidence that proves God or any God does NOT exist? Or prove that there is no life after death? [...]

Yes, individuals have every right to make and follow their belief, providing that belief doesn't contravene the so-called laws of the land and/or transcend the bounds of common decency as accepted by any reasonable member of a society.

Christians—and other religionists—are quite rightly asked to provide evidence for their beliefs in supernatural entities and paranormal phenomena simply because they're the party making a concrete claim that both exist in the real world.

If I tell you I believe I can fly, then I have to prove it to you by jumping off the roof—otherwise it can be discarded as nonsensical. Same with someone who believes in the existence of a god; they must prove its existence, otherwise I'm logically permitted to dismiss it as nonsense.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
23-12-2016, 09:51 AM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2016 09:55 AM by Mr. Boston.)
(22-12-2016 12:15 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Christians are not believing their thing and minding their own business. They're asking others to also believe what they believe. Often, I might add, they're aggressively asking others to believe it.

I'd say they're not even asking others to "believe" it, it's even worse than that. They're trying to coerce others to live by it, whether they believe it or not. You can go to Hell for all they care; you have to live by their rules anyway though.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
23-12-2016, 10:05 AM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2016 10:10 AM by Mr. Boston.)
I haven't read the whole thread, I assume others have already covered this even more effectively but: the CLAIM is that a god exists. It is the believer who is making the assertion and must prove it to be true. Atheists simply reject the claim's veracity for lack of any supporting evidence. Two quotes from men far more eloquent than I am sum up my thoughts on it quite well (both paraphrased and probably not 100% accurate):

"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"You're the one making the claim, you have to tell me why you believe it. I could go around saying 'prove I can't fly,' and you'd say, 'fuck you - prove you CAN.'" -Ricky Gervais

So, I can't say with 100% certainty that Ricky Gervais can't fly. But absent ANY evidence whatsoever to suggest he can I think it's more intellectually honest to take the position that he most likely can't. I can live with that minute iota of possibility that I'm wrong, and I can CERTAINLY live with ignoring any person who asserts what kinds of food I can eat, what kinds of sex I can have, how I should raise my kids, and what kinds of civil rights people should have based on THEIR sincerely-held belief that Mr. Gervais is in fact airborne.
23-12-2016, 10:07 AM
(23-12-2016 09:12 AM)Aliza Wrote:  JennyL, darling, if you come back to the forum, maybe we can have an honest, sincere conversation about the subject of Jesus, your god, and Christianity. Then at least you'll understand what the Christians are really up against.

Bots don't revisit territory they've already marked.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-12-2016, 10:27 AM
(23-12-2016 10:07 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-12-2016 09:12 AM)Aliza Wrote:  JennyL, darling, if you come back to the forum, maybe we can have an honest, sincere conversation about the subject of Jesus, your god, and Christianity. Then at least you'll understand what the Christians are really up against.

Bots don't revisit territory they've already marked.

What is the point of starting a thread in the first place?
23-12-2016, 10:19 PM
(23-12-2016 10:27 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(23-12-2016 10:07 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Bots don't revisit territory they've already marked.

What is the point of starting a thread in the first place?

In this case? Most likely to spread their e-mail adress far and wide. Assuming that actually is their e-mail adress and not a hacked account.

Jenny, assuming you aren't a bot you should talk to the Admins about changing your username. We get some very odd evangelicals in here from time to time and a few of them aren't right in the head. You really don't want to be cyber-stalked by some crazy like that.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
26-12-2016, 01:06 PM
jennylindstrom99 is obviously another drive-by Sigh...

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.