thoughts of no longer existing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2014, 06:34 PM
thoughts of no longer existing
Hi all. I used to have panic attacks that were brought on by thoughts of death and no longer existing. I suppose I managed to shut them out for a while but 2 months ago they started again.

I'm really not in a good way at the moment and actually think I'm suffering from some sort of depression.

I just wanted to know really if anyone else goes through the same and how they deal with it.

Hope this makes sense. It's late here and been having lots of trouble sleeping anyway.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2014, 06:36 PM
RE: thoughts of no longer existing
Welcome.

What's so scary about not existing? You didn't exist before you were born...

I hope you feel better soon!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-11-2014, 06:37 PM
Well, yeah, I think it kind of happens to me. I think that the best way to deal with it is to focus on your life and not your death. Don't ruin your life by thinking about that all the time. It's normal that our mind goes there, but focus on the nice things you have now.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
09-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Just tell yourself "there can't be nothing". Everything has a cause. The universe didn't accidentally create itself. It was put into motion by an intelligent designer. The laws of science didn't come into existence until after the big bang according to atheists. However that would make the big bang impossible. The laws of physics explain how a jet engine works but not how it was made or by whom. If you saw a jet engine would you assume all the parts were at one point next to each-other and built itself? The primordial fireball or the collection of every element in space that "resulted in the big bang" had every element needed to make a universe however there had to have been something that initiated the reaction. You don't have to believe in God, but know that there's an embodied mind outside of space and time that caused you to be here. There's no accidents when it comes to life. You're here, enjoy it, and love as many people as you can.
09-11-2014, 08:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 08:51 PM by pablo.)
Don't sweat the stuff you have no control over.
Might be a good idea to see a doctor about the depression though. That is something that you can do something about.
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
09-11-2014, 08:45 PM
(09-11-2014 06:34 PM)toastie Wrote:  Hi all. I used to have panic attacks that were brought on by thoughts of death and no longer existing. I suppose I managed to shut them out for a while but 2 months ago they started again.

I'm really not in a good way at the moment and actually think I'm suffering from some sort of depression.

I just wanted to know really if anyone else goes through the same and how they deal with it.

Hope this makes sense. It's late here and been having lots of trouble sleeping anyway.

I saw in your intro post that you wrote "Recently married with 1 child" have you spoken with your wife about this?

It may be time to see a professional, you have much to live for.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
09-11-2014, 08:50 PM
(09-11-2014 07:39 PM)FearKnowledge Wrote:  Just tell yourself "there can't be nothing". Everything has a cause. The universe didn't accidentally create itself. It was put into motion by an intelligent designer. The laws of science didn't come into existence until after the big bang according to atheists. However that would make the big bang impossible. The laws of physics explain how a jet engine works but not how it was made or by whom. If you saw a jet engine would you assume all the parts were at one point next to each-other and built itself? The primordial fireball or the collection of every element in space that "resulted in the big bang" had every element needed to make a universe however there had to have been something that initiated the reaction. You don't have to believe in God, but know that there's an embodied mind outside of space and time that caused you to be here. There's no accidents when it comes to life. You're here, enjoy it, and love as many people as you can.

I can only agree with the very last sentence.

No god, no prime mover, no intelligent designer are needed. All that is needed is to enjoy life, while it lasts.

I don't recall my "life" before I was born, because I wasn't alive. I see death as the same as it was before I was born.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 7 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-11-2014, 09:34 PM
(09-11-2014 07:39 PM)FearKnowledge Wrote:  Just tell yourself "there can't be nothing". Everything has a cause. The universe didn't accidentally create itself. It was put into motion by an intelligent designer. The laws of science didn't come into existence until after the big bang according to atheists. However that would make the big bang impossible. The laws of physics explain how a jet engine works but not how it was made or by whom. If you saw a jet engine would you assume all the parts were at one point next to each-other and built itself? The primordial fireball or the collection of every element in space that "resulted in the big bang" had every element needed to make a universe however there had to have been something that initiated the reaction. You don't have to believe in God, but know that there's an embodied mind outside of space and time that caused you to be here. There's no accidents when it comes to life. You're here, enjoy it, and love as many people as you can.

Fearknowledge, you should do just that; fear knowledge. I will teach it to you, but this isn't the thread for that. All of your nonsense you just spouted is unhelpful, and unwanted. The first cause is long debunked, the watchmaker argument is long debunked, perhaps you haven't been in the debating field long, but we are here to help you find your way. No fairy tales required.

Faith IS the delusion, belief without evidence. Faith is pretending to know things that you dont know. To say "I have faith in god" really means "I pretend to know things I don't know about god"....THINK about it, you dont know, you HOPE. Faith is an epistemology. It's a method and process people use to understand reality. Faith-based claims are knowledge claims. For example, "I have faith that jesus christ will heal my sickness because it says so in Luke" is a knowledge claim. The utterer of this statement is asserting jesus will heal her. Those who make faith claims are professing to know something about the external world. For example, when someone says "jesus walked on water" (matthew 14:22-33), that person is claiming TO KNOW there was an historical figure names jesus and that he, unaided by technology, literally walked across the surface of the water. This is a knowledge claim...an objective statement of fact.

Your religious beliefs typically depend on the community in which you were raised or lived. The spiritual experiences of people in ancient greece, medieval japan or 21st century saudia arabia do not lead to belief in christianity. It seems, therefore, that religious belief very likely tracks not truth but social conditioning.

Faith is a failed epistemology. Showing why faith fails has been done before and done well. (Bering 2011, Harris 2004, Loftus 2010, 2013, McCormick 2012, Schick & Vaughn 2008, Shermer 1997, 2011, Smith 1979, STenger & Barker 2012, Torres 2012, Wade 2009 etc)

If a belief is based on insufficient evidence, than any further conclusion drawn from the belief will at best be of questionable value. This can not point one to the path of truth. Here are five points believers/non believers should be able to agree upon.

1) There are different faith traditions.
2) Different faith traditions make different truth claims.
3) The truth claims of some faith traditions contradict the truth claims of other faith traditions. For example, Muslims believe muhammad (570-632) was the last prophet (Sura 33:40). Mormons believe Joseph Smith (1805-1844), who lived after muhammad was a prophet.
4) It cannot both be the case that muhammad was the last prophet, and someone who lived after him was also a prophet.
5) Therefore: At LEAST one of these claims must be false....perhaps both....

it is impossible to figure out which of these claims is incorrect if the tool one uses is faith. As a tool, as an epistemology, as a method of reasoning, as a process for knowing the world, faith cannot adjudicate between competing claims. The ONLY way to figure out which claims about the world are likely true, and which are likely false, is through reason and evidence. There is no other way.

Offering the original poster a fairy tale to cling to so he/she can deal with a personal crisis is not only disingenuous, but dishonest.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 4 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
09-11-2014, 09:37 PM
(09-11-2014 06:34 PM)toastie Wrote:  Hi all. I used to have panic attacks that were brought on by thoughts of death and no longer existing. I suppose I managed to shut them out for a while but 2 months ago they started again.

What you are feeling is natural, not knowing is cause for panic, but death is the exact same state you were in before you were born. Nothing to panic over, seek solace in the knowledge that life, while short, is precious, and we should make every day count. Life is too amazing to waste a single minute being depressed about things we have zero control over. Live your life, not go through the motions, but LIVE it. Smile

I hope you feel better and you are in my thoughts.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
10-11-2014, 08:48 AM
I agree with Pablo. Check in with your doctor about the depression. It just makes good sense.

FearKnowledge,

This section of the forum has specific guidelines. Read them before posting here again. This section is for support, not debate. Keep your woo in the appropriate place. I won't tell you twice.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 5 users Like Stark Raving's post