thoughts of no longer existing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2014, 09:12 AM
RE: thoughts of no longer existing
Learn to appreciate the present. That's how I got over my anxiety!

Just think of the probability out of the whole universe, all the events that have taken place and still take place, that you, a conscious being has been sprung into existence. You have the chance to appreciate the beauty and wonder of this marvelous world.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SunnyD1's post
10-11-2014, 09:29 AM
I do not fear death.
I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”
― Mark Twain

It's so amazingly fantastic that we are conscious of the universe at all, and our tiny part of it, even if only for five minutes. Embrace the present. Appreciate what you have. Let go of grasping for the impossible.

There's a Japanese proverb calligraphied and framed on my dad's office wall:
"If you try to grasp happiness, and go after it directly, it will fly away and evade your grasp. Rather go about doing what you know your work is, and it will come and sit quietly on your shoulder, when your not looking, and least expect it. Happiness is only possible by indirection." (or some such drivel). Blush

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
11-11-2014, 10:15 PM
I don't like the idea of not existing.
No one does.

That is the real scary thing about death. It is not that we are afraid of leaving the party. It is that we are afraid that the party is going to keep going on without us.

That is the part that we are afraid of. We want to stay at the party and keep having fun and seeing what else happens.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
11-11-2014, 10:24 PM
Find a task to focus on. Exercise. Get outdoors. Hit the range and shoot some things, it's therapeutic Tongue Whatever you do, don't stop and analyze long enough to think about how screwed up it all is. Build up your social life. Contrary to popular belief, humans are not defined by their individualism. We thrive on human contact and have a need to find similar people with whom to belong. We are pack animals.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
12-11-2014, 05:53 PM
(09-11-2014 06:34 PM)toastie Wrote:  I just wanted to know really if anyone else goes through the same and how they deal with it.

Drugs.....Hobo
No, really, I have suffered from anxiety, panic attacks, agoraphobia, and bi-polar disorder for most of my life. I have long term and short term memory loss. I have chronic insomnia. I have been like this since my 20s, some 50 years now.
And none of this has a thing to do with religion. I was abused as a child. However, I no longer think it was my fault...(I must have been a bad child)...and my drugs are reduced from 6-8 a day to 3 a day. I still can't sleep at night, and I am still agoraphobic. My anxiety has turned into OCD...lol...which I don't have a problem with. It makes my life interesting...lol
Your problems may never go away, but, you will have a totally different outlook about them and not feel so guilty. Thumbsup

Please remember the Native American Indians Heart
13-11-2014, 10:39 AM
Personally, I live for life. I love watching my children grow and being with my wife. It is the reason that I have to love, feel, and experience in this time that gives me comfort, and I endeavor to leave the world a little better than I found it. I found that worrying about death is like worrying about the big exam coming up in school, there is nothing to be done to prevent it so why worry? All you can do is try your hardest to make the time until it happens as productive as possible.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
13-11-2014, 11:13 AM
I agree that you need to check in with your doctor.

A quote from one of my very best friends who is also a psychiatrist. " better living thru chemicals".

If you need meds to give you a happy life, then take them. Go to your Doc and take care of you.

We only get one turn on this rock, make it a good one.

Being on meds doesnt make you weak, or crazy or anything else except hopefully happy and able to go thru life in a way that feels good.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
13-11-2014, 02:46 PM
That used to plague me. That and the idea that I exist at all. Haunting my thoughts.

Doesn't bugnme now though because there's no way to prove I exist or that I won't exist after I die. There's no way to do it. So why be bothered by something that cannot be proven?

If I could find out I would but no answer would ever be enough so fuck it. Live in your now. Be the now. Fuck not existence. Fuck existence. Fuck someone. Live.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-11-2014, 05:55 PM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2014 06:07 PM by GirlyMan.)
(09-11-2014 06:34 PM)toastie Wrote:  I just wanted to know really if anyone else goes through the same and how they deal with it.

I got over it by carefully considering the ramifications of the alternative. Eternal existence is what Hell is whether it's an eternity of ecstasy or an eternity of torment.

As far as depression and anxiety, like pablo and justauntbe and Girly say, pharmacology is your friend. My depression and anxiety have nothing to do with my metaphysics. They have everything to do with a neurochemical perturbance and imbalance. Neurotransmitters can be recalibrated and rebalanced and we have the means to do it. Ain't technology grand.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post