to appreciate things

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2012, 03:24 PM
to appreciate things
So as many know, three weeks ago we moved back to Romania.
As we have a house here, we knew in advance that we had to take care of certain things before winter comes.
Something hit us by surprise. We didn't know that the boiler had been turned off, after an inspection, while we were in Ireland. So we came back to find that there is no warm water in the house. Gas yes (can cook yay!) but not hot water.
First it was not the worst problem. Although I would rather have a warm shower than a fucking-cold one, it was really hot outside so it wasn't too bad to have a cold shower in the evening.
But after a week we started missing the warm water. Problem is, authorities move sloooowly, so it takes and takes and takes. We are with cold water since we arrived.

This is one of the moments (had many of those during the years) when I am being put back into reality and can appreciate something that normal nowadays, and not having it is unthinkable for some people.

Today I had a warm shower! I am an inventer so right now we have a warm shower once a week > 10-liter-water bottle. half filled with cold and half filled with boiled water (stove). one of us gets to shower, the other one holds the bottle and is the showerhead Big Grin

This gave me something to think. Because there are so many things we just don't appreciate because we just have it, always, since we were born, are used to stuff :
Drinking water out of the fosset, maintained streets, warm water, insulated houses, a car, Pizza Hut around the corner, supermarkets everywhere, and so on and so forth.

And then, some days, I see these spoiled brats that have no idea what they got! Not only kids, adults too. How annoying is that. Wasting ressources and money for nothing, treating your surroundings like it's not worth anything. It is disgusting, I hate how some - or many - people are. Ever taken a walk through the forrest and found KFC-boxes between the trees... Appreciate that there is a forest, that is not cut down yet, keep it clean. Throwing things on the floor everywhere, having water and lights on when it is not needed, heating during winter while the windows are open.... things like that...

What are your thoughts?

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
22-09-2012, 03:53 PM
RE: to appreciate things
I was gonna give you some tips, but seems you have it figured out. Yeah I really get bothered by a lot of the people who treat the world so badly. It's understandable for humans to act this way as whenever you gain any advantage you're prone to ignore the disadvantage that does not exist for you. Too many people who used to live without this or that treat it the same as the little kids who never did. This is just how humans are. We still have a long way to go in convincing people to think more critically and hopefully it will happen, though nowadays they are so blasted by information that they rarely take the time to think. I'm seeing recycling as a pretty well taken to plan so to a certain extent people are thinking more. There are also many wonderful things about the younger generation in understanding for things like the LGBT other religions and many other things. It's possible that we're getting to where people might think more but we still have a long way to go from a point in time where the statement ignorance is bliss was an actual goal.

Also you're misquoting Tim Minchin =p He didn't come up with that statement which is why the subtitle of the song is "Take My Wife"

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
22-09-2012, 04:09 PM
When I was in my early twenties, I lived in what had been my grandparents' farmhouse, where there was an actual cellar (not a basement) and a handy, dandy wringer washing machine with two rinse tubs. It was COLD down there in the winter (in Iowa) with your arms up to your elbows in water. Took a while to get learn how to not squish every snap and break every button. I SSSSOOOOO appreciate an automatic washing machine.

When it seems the pile of laundry will never end, I try to remember back to those days!

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
22-09-2012, 05:14 PM
When I used to meditate a lot appreciating things was a big part of it... being mindfull of the texture of fruit on my fingertips.... the shape of it.... the aroma.... the taste.

I should really start doing it again Consider

One of my pet hates is when I see rubbish in the countryside.... people look at me blankly when they see me picking it up and taking it home with me if I dont come across a bin.

In the film "The book of Eli" Denzil Washington sums it up pretty well for me when he is explaining how the world was before the apocalypse came.... he explains how people threw things away that people in that current age would kill each other for.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
25-09-2012, 01:20 AM
(22-09-2012 04:09 PM)Anjele Wrote:  When I was in my early twenties, I lived in what had been my grandparents' farmhouse, where there was an actual cellar (not a basement) and a handy, dandy wringer washing machine with two rinse tubs. It was COLD down there in the winter (in Iowa) with your arms up to your elbows in water. Took a while to get learn how to not squish every snap and break every button. I SSSSOOOOO appreciate an automatic washing machine.

When it seems the pile of laundry will never end, I try to remember back to those days!

Wow, I have only seen such washers at the state fair. I have never operated a washing machine that was not automated. Are you way older than I am, or were your grand parents too cheap to buy something new?
25-09-2012, 04:43 AM
I think I could do without all sorts of things, but the washing machines for cloth and dishes? Damn, now that's tough. I currently live without Internet, even without my main computer station, I only have my laptop (and a projector Tongue). I could live without that as well, I hate my mobile phone, don't watch TV, don't have a phone. I even have an old firewood cooker home, you know, the one that uses real wood and fire instead of gas or electricity. That is all great, but the washing machines? Damn, that is so fucking tough. OK, the dishes can be washed manually, but the cloths, that's just wrong.

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
25-09-2012, 06:38 AM
Man, I used to have a tub and a board, you fucking wimps. Big Grin

Yeah, I can go for that hot shower thingy, but I'm Mr. Low Matinance. Used to take sponge baths at Taco Bell. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
25-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Well the washing machine is not the problem. I had a time, when I had so totally no money that I went ahead and washed everything in the bathtub. Barefeet, cold water, and a lot of stomping Big Grin But yeah, I am very happy that I do have a washing machine now. Also I will be very happy once I get a dish washer... I hate doing the dishes so much!

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
25-09-2012, 02:56 PM
(25-09-2012 02:44 PM)Leela Wrote:  Well the washing machine is not the problem. I had a time, when I had so totally no money that I went ahead and washed everything in the bathtub. Barefeet, cold water, and a lot of stomping Big Grin But yeah, I am very happy that I do have a washing machine now. Also I will be very happy once I get a dish washer... I hate doing the dishes so much!

I wash up as I go along...even after Ive put my food on my plate I quickly scrub any remaining pots and pans before sitting down to eat... then when Ive finished eating I just rinse my plate and knife and fork.

Simples Tongue

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
25-09-2012, 04:05 PM
In my Hippie days I learned someting from people living in the greek contryside, where there was no running water at all and only the bakery had electricity...

They had a waterpump with a troth underneath in town. You put a layer of sand in the troth, then water. Then you put your clothes in and walked around on top of them (in the cold water, felt good in the heat there). The sand would get pressed through the material and take all the dirt with it. It worked great. No soap. Eventually you rinsed the clothes and - perfectly clean.

I've been rich and spoiled and poor and hungry as well, and it doesn't really make that much difference I say. No matter where you are on that money tree, there are things to appreciate and things that annoy. It's just the way people are made. They seem to need pleasure and displeasure equally. And no matter what situation you place them in, you still have the same thing.

The discrepancy between poor and rich comes when the rich have ways to avoid the things that annoy the poor. What the poor don't realize is that the rich have just as many annoying things going on, they are just different ones.

Being poor only becomes truly a big disadvantage when there is a lack of the things needed to survive - food, shelter and medicine. In developed countries this is mostly taken care of, so there isn't all that big a disadvantage to being poor. It's all in our heads.

There are always things to truly enjoy, and things that are just plain annoying.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man