toronto catholic district school board with $9M deficit

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2014, 01:06 PM
RE: toronto catholic district school board with $9M deficit
(14-11-2014 12:45 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Someday we'll stop public funding for those fuckers.
(yes, yes, it's opt-in, but fuck that anyway)

A man can dream.

establishment clause..... nuff said
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2014, 01:15 PM
(14-11-2014 01:06 PM)Ace Wrote:  
(14-11-2014 12:45 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Someday we'll stop public funding for those fuckers.
(yes, yes, it's opt-in, but fuck that anyway)

A man can dream.

establishment clause..... nuff said

Alas, the American establishment clause does not apply in Toronto, Canada.

It's a matter of amending the provincial constitution. Several other provinces have done so, but Ontario has as an almost dysfunctional mix of progressivism and conservatism at times.
(3rd jurisdiction on the planet to legalise same-sex marriage, but no politician will touch catholic school funding with a ten foot pole)

... this is my signature!
14-11-2014, 02:14 PM
(14-11-2014 01:15 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(14-11-2014 01:06 PM)Ace Wrote:  establishment clause..... nuff said

Alas, the American establishment clause does not apply in Toronto, Canada.

It's a matter of amending the provincial constitution. Several other provinces have done so, but Ontario has as an almost dysfunctional mix of progressivism and conservatism at times.
(3rd jurisdiction on the planet to legalise same-sex marriage, but no politician will touch catholic school funding with a ten foot pole)

I'm pretty sure that La Belle Province is at least a half century behind Ontariario.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-11-2014, 03:38 PM
(14-11-2014 02:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-11-2014 01:15 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Alas, the American establishment clause does not apply in Toronto, Canada.

I'm pretty sure that La Belle Province is at least a half century behind Ontariario.

Surprisingly, no. Although Article 93 of the Constitution Act, 1867 mandates continued support for provincial "Denominational Schools" Quebec got that waived in the nineties and since 2000 all publically funded education has been strictly secular.

Newfoundland and Labrador, and Manitoba, have also done so (they could do so provincially due to different agreements in joining Canada). BC, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and PEI never had separate schools - they were overwhelmingly Protestant when they joined Confederation and (like everywhere else) the single public school system was first de facto and later legally secularised (in Ontario this happened in the 1980s, for example). Although BC these days gives some funding to all religious schools that meet education standards. Which is idiotic, but at least it's equal-opportunity idiocy, unlike what we've got here. I don't know what the others do these days. Alberta and Saskatchewan have their own dumbfuck holdovers.

... this is my signature!
14-11-2014, 03:46 PM
(14-11-2014 03:38 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(14-11-2014 02:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  I'm pretty sure that La Belle Province is at least a half century behind Ontariario.

Surprisingly, no. Although Article 93 of the Constitution Act, 1867 mandates continued support for provincial "Denominational Schools" Quebec got that waived in the nineties and since 2000 all publically funded education has been strictly secular.

Newfoundland and Labrador, and Manitoba, have also done so (they could do so provincially due to different agreements in joining Canada). BC, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and PEI never had separate schools - they were overwhelmingly Protestant when they joined Confederation and (like everywhere else) the single public school system was first de facto and later legally secularised (in Ontario this happened in the 1980s, for example). Although BC these days gives some funding to all religious schools that meet education standards. Which is idiotic, but at least it's equal-opportunity idiocy, unlike what we've got here. I don't know what the others do these days. Alberta and Saskatchewan have their own dumbfuck holdovers.

Thanks - not having lived in Québec for many years, I missed that change. Facepalm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user