truth vs Truth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2014, 03:29 PM
truth vs Truth
I should maybe put this in the ranting section because it annoys me sooooo much but anyway....I'll take my chances in this section.

Why the hell do religious nuts feel the need to capitalize "Truth" and "Belief" and other words. I've seen the word "Life" capitalized by theists and "Nature" and "Wonder" and anything they want to connect with their god. When I see theists capitalize the first letter of a word, I immediately get pissed. Is anyone else super annoyed by this?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
01-11-2014, 03:46 PM
RE: truth vs Truth
It's particularly bad with German theists. They capitalise all the nouns!
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
01-11-2014, 03:58 PM
(01-11-2014 03:46 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  It's particularly bad with German theists. They capitalise all the nouns!

I'll warn you to never get into debates with historical Englishmen on this topic.. even up to the time of Milton in the 1600s it was common for all nouns (not just proper) to be capitalized.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
01-11-2014, 04:10 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2014 12:06 PM by Anjele.)
(01-11-2014 03:29 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I should maybe put this in the ranting section because it annoys me sooooo much but anyway....I'll take my chances in this section.

Why the hell do religious nuts feel the need to capitalize "Truth" and "Belief" and other words. I've seen the word "Life" capitalized by theists and "Nature" and "Wonder" and anything they want to connect with their god. When I see theists capitalize the first letter of a word, I immediately get pissed. Is anyone else super annoyed by this?

I suppose they think it shows emphasis and/or respect but don't seem to realize that overuse actually lessens the impact of what is being said. Like the people we have had here that like bold letters for everything or who type in all caps or the ones we have had that think large fonts in odd colors will change minds.

Like the boy who cried wolf it causes the opposite response from what was desired.

Or they could just be pompous asses. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
01-11-2014, 04:35 PM
(01-11-2014 03:58 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I'll warn you to never get into debates with historical Englishmen on this topic.. even up to the time of Milton in the 1600s it was common for all nouns (not just proper) to be capitalized.
I'm Not Impressed : Prior to the 1st century all letters were capitals.
01-11-2014, 04:37 PM
Oh speaking of prior to the 1st century... if you're looking for a legit answer. I'd say blame Plato as he's the reason why.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
01-11-2014, 04:43 PM
[Image: Declaration-of-Independence-broadside-17...ation2.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-11-2014, 04:44 PM
(01-11-2014 04:10 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I suppose they think it shows emphasis and/or respect but don't seem to realize that overuse actually lessons the impact of what is being said. Like the people we have had here that like bold letters for everything or who type in all caps or the ones we have had that think large fonts in odd colors will change minds.
It's the unfortunate attempt to put into writing the stress they put on the words when they pronounce them. Listen to them how they have to overplay it, in order to silence that little inner voice that tells them "this is BS".
Quote:Or they could just be pompous asses. Tongue
Who is pompous when he speaks the words of the lord?
01-11-2014, 04:47 PM
(01-11-2014 04:37 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Oh speaking of prior to the 1st century... if you're looking for a legit answer. I'd say blame Plato as he's the reason why.
You're sure of that? Do you have some links? I'd like to know more.
01-11-2014, 06:08 PM
(01-11-2014 03:58 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 03:46 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  It's particularly bad with German theists. They capitalise all the nouns!

I'll warn you to never get into debates with historical Englishmen on this topic.. even up to the time of Milton in the 1600s it was common for all nouns (not just proper) to be capitalized.

Yes, I realize that some words had the first letter capitalized in past centuries but it's very dated now. During online debates I noticed theists will capitalize the first letter of what they consider important words. They think it carries more weight and somehow is going to convert you over to their views. It doesn't do shit. Sometimes as the online conversation continues they capitalize more and more letters which I find obnoxious. Angry I donno, it's a real pet peeve of mine.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.