tv wars. am i wrong?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2015, 06:06 AM
RE: tv wars. am i wrong?
(17-10-2015 02:08 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(16-10-2015 12:48 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Sounds like you need a Harmony Remote and someone to set it up for you.

It's an automated "smart remote". I got my grandma one a while back and just labeled it "Play DVD" and it automatically turns on everything, switches to the correct input, and then plays the DVD.

Yep, one button for DVD, one button for TV, one button for Cable,
One remote to rule them all.

One remote to find them.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2015, 10:15 AM
(19-10-2015 02:31 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  
(17-10-2015 09:59 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  I know that "what input" was meant to be a silly question emphasizing frustration, but I'll answer it anyway.

TVs nowadays get signals (meaning, shows or other things they can display) coming into them from a lot of different directions. Odds are you've got a cable plugged into the back of your TV coming from, well, the cable company. You've also got a bunch of wires coming from the DVD player that also plug into the TV. Both of these are inputs.

Your TV needs to be told which of these inputs -- cable or DVD -- to show. Usually there's some sort of setting or menu you can bring up with the remote that lets you choose which input the TV shows. Depending on how the thing's wired up, it might be a single button on the remote. HOW to do this varies greatly depending on who made your TV and what wires are plugged into what parts of the TV. There's no standard method that works for all TVs.

When your boys watch DVDs, they switch the TV's input to the DVD player. The TV is now ignoring the signal from the cable, and displays whatever signal's coming from the DVD player. Then they finish watching and turn it off, while still leaving the input set to the DVD player.

You come home and turn on the TV and see nothing. That is because, while the TV is still getting the cable's input, it's been told to ignore it. It's doing exactly what it's been told and showing you what it's getting from the DVD player, which is... nothing. The TV needs to be told to ignore the DVD player and pay attention to the cable again.

You should not expect yourself to have a magical, ingrained knowledge of how to do this. Nor should you expect yourself to remember how to do it after seeing it ONE TIME... especially if the boy showing you just breezed through it and rattled off a bunch of words and named a bunch of buttons real quickly and showed you their fingers flying over the remote. THAT'S NOT HOW LEARNING WORKS. This doesn't make you electronics-stupid, like you were cursed by a fickle god at birth with an underdeveloped tech-lobe in your brain. It makes you a human being dealing with something unfamiliar. This stuff is learnable if you respect how human learning works. Do it twenty times yourself, spread out over at least five different days, and then you'll know how to do it. Have them walk you through the process -- SLOWLY -- and take notes on every button push and what the buttons are called, and then while they're still there go through the process yourself to make sure your notes are accurate. Then you can follow the notes in the future.

Now back to your original question: Is it unfair to expect or demand that they turn it back when they're done? Of course not. That's like insisting they put the seat down when they flush the toilet (the entire lid is better, more sanitary and less likely to drop something in by accident), or that they put dirty dishes in the washer or on the dish rack or wherever dirty dishes go rather than leaving them lying around the house. In short, that they clean up after themselves. On the other hand, it is UNREASONABLE to expect that they do this all the time because, as mentioned before, these are boys we're talking about. (Not men, boys. We've established this.) Unfair to expect it, no, but very at odds with reality. So, learn how to do it yourself when you need it done.
Id like to clearify that we are talking about one 16 who is hardly here and an 18 year old that now lives with us and my husband. So no they are not just boys! Old enough to have common courtesy. Its not that I want to be mean its just that I seriously can't figure it out.

Eta: I don't expect them to remember 100% of the time but if they do it every time they watch a movie IR play a game then yeah I think I have a right to say something.

If they were in their 30s and 60s, respectively, I would be calling them boys. Because immaturity.
19-10-2015, 05:08 PM
(19-10-2015 02:31 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  Id like to clearify that we are talking about one 16 who is hardly here and an 18 year old that now lives with us and my husband. So no they are not just boys! Old enough to have common courtesy. Its not that I want to be mean its just that I seriously can't figure it out.

Eta: I don't expect them to remember 100% of the time but if they do it every time they watch a movie IR play a game then yeah I think I have a right to say something.

When they fail to reset it ManlyGirl hides the remote from them and they are as clueless as Girly.

#sigh