un freaking believable

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2015, 07:39 AM
RE: un freaking believable
to answer a few questions mentioned above.

1. Yes we have separation of church and state, some places (like the one in the video) don't know what those words mean apparently.

2. The school board meetings usually follow some type format, for years and years it all started with a little prayer. Now many places are finally getting people to pushback to the mix of religion and state at meetings and are asking for the invocation to be replaced with a more inclusive moment of silence.

3. So when they know this request will be brought up, the loonies flip out, they basically try to drown out the person making the suggestion. The board should be calling some order to the meeting and having obnoxious people removed from the meeting, but since they agree, why bother.

4. Since seeing this, someone from my local atheist group posted about this same request for moment of silence in other places and getting the same response. Apparently it's a thing now to have someone request invocation to be changed to moment of silence and the room flipping out with loonies. Facepalm I will see if I can find the link.

EDIT: found it, these are counties in the area bordering Charlotte, NC. http://skepticalpoet.blogspot.com/2015/1...eting.html

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
15-10-2015, 07:48 AM
Thanks Bows. I think I saw someone in that video with a banner saying something about an invocation on it. Which confused me as well because I didn't know what it meant. I am not sure why they even have a moment's silence but I suppose if there is some historical precedence for having a time set aside for prayers then it's easier to have this than just get rid of it. But if it's causing this much problem why not just rid of prayers and a moment's silence and just say that you can do whatever you like at the end of the meeting and the rest of us are going home now that business has been dealt with?
15-10-2015, 07:50 AM
(15-10-2015 07:48 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Thanks Bows. I think I saw someone in that video with a banner saying something about an invocation on it. Which confused me as well because I didn't know what it meant. I am not sure why they even have a moment's silence but I suppose if there is some historical precedence for having a time set aside for prayers then it's easier to have this than just get rid of it. But if it's causing this much problem why not just rid of prayers and a moment's silence and just say that you can do whatever you like at the end of the meeting and the rest of us are going home now that business has been dealt with?

some places have tried that....it blows up the same way....you can't remove Jesus from meetings, or the government, and he is already banned from classrooms don't cha know! that's why we have all those school shootings, because Jesus isn't allowed in. Weeping

[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
15-10-2015, 07:51 AM
you get to a point where you just can't fix stupid.

[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
15-10-2015, 07:58 AM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2015 08:18 AM by Adrianime.)
argh for some reason the original video isn't working. ANybody else experiencing this?

Edit: closed my browser and a new instance could play it.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
15-10-2015, 08:48 AM
I showed the video to my gf and it pissed her off Big Grin (she started cussing out the Christians in the video haha). She isn't Christian or religious (she is pretty much agnostic deist), but was raised Christian and most family is Christian. She jumps to the "no true scotsman" fallacy and says, "they aren't very good Christians because good Christians accept others and don't judge." So I said, "well they might think the Christians you know aren't good Christians because they don't spread the word enough. No matter where you go, the Christians will be cherry picking. It's impossible to not cherry pick, because the bible is contradictory throughout." Then we had a fun discussion. It was a good morning Thumbsup

[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
15-10-2015, 08:58 AM
(15-10-2015 05:12 AM)Dom Wrote:  Anyone know what Mathews 6-5-6 is about?

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full."

"But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Octapulse's post
15-10-2015, 10:02 AM
(15-10-2015 08:58 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 05:12 AM)Dom Wrote:  Anyone know what Mathews 6-5-6 is about?

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full."

"But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

Thank you, that clarifies a lot. That is what the Krishna guy, and the guy and gal that came with him rode in on. I listened to it again and he is praying to every god under the sun, not just Krishna. He and the guy high five at some point, and winks pass between him and that woman. So those three set this up and are derailing the meeting on purpose. Because the result just underlines the Mathews quote. They kept holding it up and not a one Christian there knew what it was. I wish we could see how it all ended.

I knew it tickled my funnybone even though it was a sad picture of humanity. Only one guy in the meeting gets it - the one with the sign about the invocation.... The woman holds up the Mathews sign and he answers by holding up the invocation sign.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
15-10-2015, 10:26 AM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2015 10:30 AM by Adrianime.)
(15-10-2015 08:58 AM)Octapulse Wrote:   "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full."

(15-10-2015 10:02 AM)Dom Wrote:  Thank you, that clarifies a lot. That is what the Krishna guy, and the guy and gal that came with him rode in on. I listened to it again and he is praying to every god under the sun, not just Krishna. He and the guy high five at some point, and winks pass between him and that woman. So those three set this up and are derailing the meeting on purpose. Because the result just underlines the Mathews quote. They kept holding it up and not a one Christian there knew what it was. I wish we could see how it all ended.

I knew it tickled my funnybone even though it was a sad picture of humanity. Only one guy in the meeting gets it - the one with the sign about the invocation.... The woman holds up the Mathews sign and he answers by holding up the invocation sign.
My gf and I were actually discussing this bible verse this morning. I feel like *surprise* it can be pretty ambiguous. We might take it to mean "You should pray in your homes." A street prayer leader might take it to mean, "I already prayed in my home and received my reward, now that I have received my reward I can pray on the streets." I mean, the passage appears to condemn them, but the words, "they have received their reward" kind of confuses me. I don't know what metaphor is meant by this, so I look at it literally (like maybe they are hypocrites because they know the reward can only be received by home-prayer, but choose to pray in the streets anyways). I'm guessing it could be a mistranslation or something.

15-10-2015, 10:36 AM
(15-10-2015 10:26 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 08:58 AM)Octapulse Wrote:   "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full."

(15-10-2015 10:02 AM)Dom Wrote:  Thank you, that clarifies a lot. That is what the Krishna guy, and the guy and gal that came with him rode in on. I listened to it again and he is praying to every god under the sun, not just Krishna. He and the guy high five at some point, and winks pass between him and that woman. So those three set this up and are derailing the meeting on purpose. Because the result just underlines the Mathews quote. They kept holding it up and not a one Christian there knew what it was. I wish we could see how it all ended.

My gf and I were actually discussing this bible verse this morning. I feel like *surprise* it can be pretty ambiguous. We might take it to mean "You should pray in your homes." A street prayer leader might take it to mean, "I already prayed in my home and received my reward, now that I have received my reward I can pray on the streets." I mean, the passage appears to condemn them, but the words, "they have received their reward" kind of confuses me. I don't know what metaphor is meant by this, so I look at it literally (like maybe they are hypocrites because they know the reward can only be received by home-prayer, but choose to pray in the streets anyways). I'm guessing it could be a mistranslation or something.

I took it to mean that the public preachers already got their award - the attention, that's all they get. But if they pray at home the father will give them the reward (heaven).

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post