un freaking believable

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2015, 11:00 AM
RE: un freaking believable
(15-10-2015 10:36 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 10:26 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  My gf and I were actually discussing this bible verse this morning. I feel like *surprise* it can be pretty ambiguous. We might take it to mean "You should pray in your homes." A street prayer leader might take it to mean, "I already prayed in my home and received my reward, now that I have received my reward I can pray on the streets." I mean, the passage appears to condemn them, but the words, "they have received their reward" kind of confuses me. I don't know what metaphor is meant by this, so I look at it literally (like maybe they are hypocrites because they know the reward can only be received by home-prayer, but choose to pray in the streets anyways). I'm guessing it could be a mistranslation or something.

I took it to mean that the public preachers already got their award - the attention, that's all they get. But if they pray at home the father will give them the reward (heaven).
I see, I can see that as well. Very ambiguous indeed. It could be clear as crystal. "Do not be like the hypocrites who pray on the streets, for they only seek attention, and that is the only reward they will get. You who pray at home will receive the true reward..."

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
15-10-2015, 11:08 AM
Just watched the beginning again and the guy in the teal blue shirt interrupts the first pastor by praying to all the gods from 2:30 (Odin, Allah, Baal etc) and the others are shocked. But the moment they realise that he's not praying to the Christian god they all start trying to drown him out. I missed that the first time round. It makes a lot more sense now! You can see the guy's hands shaking just before he starts. He knows it's going to be chaos.
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post
15-10-2015, 11:11 AM
(15-10-2015 11:08 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Just watched the beginning again and the guy in the teal blue shirt interrupts the first pastor by praying to all the gods from 2:30 (Odin, Allah, Baal etc) and the others are shocked. But the moment they realise that he's not praying to the Christian god they all start trying to drown him out. I missed that the first time round. It makes a lot more sense now!
Yes, I thought him interrupting them was quite rude, but I get that he was making a point. Perhaps some others have tried to not be rude and have been shut down so he took it on himself to just "butt in". Their reaction (that you pointed out) is ridiculous and hilarious...and sad...and sickening...and almost anger invoking.

15-10-2015, 11:32 AM
I love him reciting the Lords prayer to the FSM at 5 minutes, and shouting Hail Satan and praying to Satan at 10 minutes.

And the news crew were there and I think some cops in the background so they knew that it was going to be chaos.

I think I have a new hero! I would love to have been there to join in.

Just one question for the guy ranting at the camera. Which cheese?
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
15-10-2015, 11:37 AM
(15-10-2015 11:32 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I love him reciting the Lords prayer to the FSM at 5 minutes, and shouting Hail Satan and praying to Satan at 10 minutes.

And the news crew were there and I think some cops in the background so they knew that it was going to be chaos.

I think I have a new hero! I would love to have been there to join in.

Just one question for the guy ranting at the camera. Which cheese?

Exactly. In the last parts you can see that they invited the press - there is a big camera and a reporter with a microphone. So it was all staged to show the mayhem publicly. You can also see a policeman in the crowd towards the end...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-10-2015, 11:49 AM
(15-10-2015 11:11 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 11:08 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Just watched the beginning again and the guy in the teal blue shirt interrupts the first pastor by praying to all the gods from 2:30 (Odin, Allah, Baal etc) and the others are shocked. But the moment they realise that he's not praying to the Christian god they all start trying to drown him out. I missed that the first time round. It makes a lot more sense now!
Yes, I thought him interrupting them was quite rude, but I get that he was making a point. Perhaps some others have tried to not be rude and have been shut down so he took it on himself to just "butt in". Their reaction (that you pointed out) is ridiculous and hilarious...and sad...and sickening...and almost anger invoking.

This is my main problem. The fact that he interupted put me against him. While I already have a bias against him being a Christian, which I acknowledge, I also don't care for the others, since they are probably protestant and I thought the prayers as being excessive. I still can't fault them for their reaction. While he was making a point, and Unfortunatly without context, I can't know if he tried logical means before hand, he did so in a very antagonizing way. If he decided to read a quote from a secular humanist okay, that would be fine and their reaction I believe would be over the top. But what he was doing was mocking them. He did not believe the things he was saying, he was just trying to be a Shit disturber. I have heard you praising similar actions. A forum post a while back talked about a bagpipes going up to a preacher condemning homosexuality and drowning him out. He was praised here for that. Similarily, while I was doing the pro life march in Ottawa, we had several bagpipes who drowned out the pro choicers on the sidelines. If what is occuring is not a reasoned discourse, what other method is there other than to drown him out. Then you must ask yourself, are you supporting him because of his methods, or is it because you have a bias against Christians. Are you being hippocrates.

I have to admit the cheesus guy was pretty weird.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
15-10-2015, 11:53 AM
Don't forget: THE BLOOD IS AGAINST YOU! Lecture_preist

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-10-2015, 12:29 PM
(15-10-2015 07:39 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  The school board meetings usually follow some type format, for years and years it all started with a little prayer. Now many places are finally getting people to pushback to the mix of religion and state at meetings and are asking for the invocation to be replaced with a more inclusive moment of silence.
Why even a moment of silence?

Why not just welcome everyone to the meeting, and then go over the agenda, discuss each item, and then do an Actions summary at the end.

You know, stay on topic.
If people must tell their god how great "He" is, can't they do that at home?
15-10-2015, 02:37 PM
(15-10-2015 11:49 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 11:11 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Yes, I thought him interrupting them was quite rude, but I get that he was making a point. Perhaps some others have tried to not be rude and have been shut down so he took it on himself to just "butt in". Their reaction (that you pointed out) is ridiculous and hilarious...and sad...and sickening...and almost anger invoking.

This is my main problem. The fact that he interupted put me against him. While I already have a bias against him being a Christian, which I acknowledge, I also don't care for the others, since they are probably protestant and I thought the prayers as being excessive. I still can't fault them for their reaction.
I can, not a single person tried to ask what he was doing or why. The mass reaction was "shut him up, scream, yell, do whatever it takes to make him stop talking."
Quote:While he was making a point, and Unfortunatly without context, I can't know if he tried logical means before hand, he did so in a very antagonizing way. If he decided to read a quote from a secular humanist okay, that would be fine and their reaction I believe would be over the top.
I agree that it was sort of antagonizing in that he knew it wouldn't be well received and he did interrupt their "ceremony". But I still don't think their reaction was warranted.
Quote:But what he was doing was mocking them. He did not believe the things he was saying, he was just trying to be a Shit disturber.
I don't think mocking is quite the right word. I don't think he was intending to be cruel or hurt feelings. He was openly demonstrating the diversity of faith by referencing dozens of different doctrines. And he has a strong reason to, as prayer does not belong in government meetings or processes...especially not the prayer of only one religion.
Quote:I have heard you praising similar actions.
Me? Or a general "you". You are going to have to fill me in with what I said.
Quote: A forum post a while back talked about a bagpipes going up to a preacher condemning homosexuality and drowning him out. He was praised here for that. Similarily, while I was doing the pro life march in Ottawa, we had several bagpipes who drowned out the pro choicers on the sidelines. If what is occuring is not a reasoned discourse, what other method is there other than to drown him out.
Well, I don't know if that's quite a fair comparison for two main reasons:
1. This guy wasn't drowning out the rest of the room. He was relatively even toned throughout his demonstration and he didn't resort to screaming, especially not directly at anybody.
2. Abortion and homosexuality arguments are often presented in a way that marginalizes women/gays. Most people around where I live would consider the extreme christian POV on those topics as "hate speak" or "discrimination". He isn't trying to discriminate. It's just the opposite. He is pointing out there is no reason that there should be a Christian privilege (which is really just implicit discrimination towards other faiths).
Quote: Then you must ask yourself, are you supporting him because of his methods, or is it because you have a bias against Christians. Are you being hippocrates.
Like I said, I don't necessarily agree with him interrupting, but I don't know what led to that moment. But I support him because I personally don't care if John or Jane are Christian. Believe what you want. Just respect the fact that 1. This is not a Christian nation, and Christianity shall receive no favor from the government. 2. Other faiths deserve just as much consideration and public time as Christianity. I support him because he is fighting for equal treatment in America. If Christians were not given the same rights as other religions, I would support somebody fighting for Christians to have those rights.

This isn't about how I feel about religion (which I hate). It's how I feel about a country that allows people of all religions/non-religions to coexist without marginalization, discrimination, or prejudice (which I love, or would love if it were true).

I would bet the entire chanting portion of that room would happily declare this a Christian nation, and go on to talk about how the founding fathers were all Christian. Dodgy

Quote:I have to admit the cheesus guy was pretty weird.
yup

[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
15-10-2015, 03:00 PM
(15-10-2015 12:29 PM)Stevil Wrote:  ...
Why even a moment of silence?

Why not just welcome everyone to the meeting, and then go over the agenda, discuss each item, and then do an Actions summary at the end.

You know, stay on topic.
If people must tell their god how great "He" is, can't they do that at home?

Cos ... Murika.

They're much more passionate about their cheeses than you Antipodeans.

Drinking Beverage