un freaking believable

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2015, 03:07 PM
RE: un freaking believable
I like the little kid at 16:25.

You can tell he knows all the adults around him are insane.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
15-10-2015, 03:15 PM
(15-10-2015 11:49 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  If what is occuring is not a reasoned discourse, what other method is there other than to drown him out. Then you must ask yourself, are you supporting him because of his methods, or is it because you have a bias against Christians. Are you being hippocrates.

His method was clear... they were planning to use their local majority to push (read: establish) one particular type of religion in a government proceeding.

He showed, quite handily, what the true feelings of the crowd are with regard to pluralism and tolerance for other faiths who might want to pray prayers in no way different from those of the Christers, except for the name to whom they were praying.

They didn't know he was interrupting at first, and had no problem with it until they started hearing other names coming from his invocation.

At that point, the magical counter-chants began, and the people started acting like they were demon-possessed, ironically in an attempt to counter their belief that he was demon-possessed.

What that "name of cheesus" guy was doing, literally, was trying to invoke the Power of the Name of Jesus (and the blood, which is MAGIC!) to cast a spell of Banishment against the demons he through were controlling the behavior of that Secular Humanist.

No clearer demonstration of the danger of allowing such people to control the favoritism shown by a supposedly-secular government for the traditions of the faithful could have been arranged, as far as I could tell.

So really, the objection of him "interrupting" is moot, no more than asserting that we should just sit silently by while those people turn our secular democracy into a theocratic state.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
15-10-2015, 04:55 PM
(15-10-2015 11:49 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 11:11 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Yes, I thought him interrupting them was quite rude, but I get that he was making a point. Perhaps some others have tried to not be rude and have been shut down so he took it on himself to just "butt in". Their reaction (that you pointed out) is ridiculous and hilarious...and sad...and sickening...and almost anger invoking.

This is my main problem. The fact that he interupted put me against him. While I already have a bias against him being a Christian, which I acknowledge, I also don't care for the others, since they are probably protestant and I thought the prayers as being excessive. I still can't fault them for their reaction. While he was making a point, and Unfortunatly without context, I can't know if he tried logical means before hand, he did so in a very antagonizing way. If he decided to read a quote from a secular humanist okay, that would be fine and their reaction I believe would be over the top. But what he was doing was mocking them. He did not believe the things he was saying, he was just trying to be a Shit disturber. I have heard you praising similar actions. A forum post a while back talked about a bagpipes going up to a preacher condemning homosexuality and drowning him out. He was praised here for that. Similarily, while I was doing the pro life march in Ottawa, we had several bagpipes who drowned out the pro choicers on the sidelines. If what is occuring is not a reasoned discourse, what other method is there other than to drown him out. Then you must ask yourself, are you supporting him because of his methods, or is it because you have a bias against Christians. Are you being hippocrates.

I have to admit the cheesus guy was pretty weird.

I have to believe logical means were tried beforehand and were rejected. That is, many public bodies like this school board, state legislatures, etc., say their prayers/invocations are open to any faith, but then don't allow that in practice. If a Wiccan wants to give the invocation, or a Humanist, they are denied permission or the majority of the group members leave the room. Because while they expect other people to listen to their prayers respectfully, they consider doing the same for other religions to risk their faith, somehow.

The beginning of the tape, before the praying part starts, was the reading of Bible verses basically saying Christians needed to be Christian above all else. Completely disrespectful to all others.
15-10-2015, 06:31 PM
My interpretation of the believers' behavior in this video: "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALA". Childish.

The fact that this is what they consider appropriate behavior at a school board meeting is inexcusable, a complete disservice to the students in this school. I don't fault this guy for trying, but he'll clearly never make any progress with these brain-dead sheeple. Ugh. I would pull my hair out from frustration if I lived down there, don't know how atheists handle it, in the closet indeed.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like MustangManda's post
15-10-2015, 06:32 PM
They could all just have walked out and made him look like a fool. But they chose to try to out scream him and chase off the demons, witches, warlocks and Beelzebub.

It's all their choices. And someone needs to expose the crazy or it will never get better.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
15-10-2015, 10:59 PM
(15-10-2015 03:07 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I like the little kid at 16:25.

That's the point at which I started crying.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
15-10-2015, 11:45 PM
(15-10-2015 10:59 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 03:07 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I like the little kid at 16:25.

That's the point at which I started crying.
Sadness or laughs?

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
15-10-2015, 11:55 PM
Nurse is a genuine sweetheart; I'm guessing she empathized with the kid in the midst of all that insanity and wept for his sake.

It's hard to laugh at people who live in the "Demon-Haunted World", as Sagan put it, when it comes to seeing a child go through it. Especially for those like Nurse and I who also went through it.

15-10-2015, 11:58 PM
(15-10-2015 11:45 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 10:59 PM)Nurse Wrote:  That's the point at which I started crying.
Sadness or laughs?

Sad.

The atheist that was protesting was clearly nervous. He did it anyway, for kids like the cutie in the video. Separation of church and state is worth fighting for. Unfortunately it seems the point went over their heads. I'm so fucking sick of Christian intolerance and it hiding under the guise of a religion of love. This is what I was exposed to as a child, and what my son is exposed to - it's maddening.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post
16-10-2015, 12:00 AM
(15-10-2015 11:55 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Nurse is a genuine sweetheart; I'm guessing she empathized with the kid in the midst of all that insanity and wept for his sake.

It's hard to laugh at people who live in the "Demon-Haunted World", as Sagan put it, when it comes to seeing a child go through it. Especially for those like Nurse and I who also went through it.

Beat me to it. Heart