unable to focus on fantasy genres

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2017, 10:04 AM
unable to focus on fantasy genres
I read the first Harry Potter book and couldn't follow the plot. I enjoyed the Hobbit but couldn't keep paying attention to The Lord of the Rings books. The movies bore me to tears. There's no way I can sit through a Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings movie. I only sort of like Game of Thrones for the sex and violence but I have no clue about the plot.

I love hard science fiction. I love all sorts of realism. Even like Faulkner and Don Delillo. Shit that's considered complex, I basically get it. Not saying I understand everything when I read Faulkner but it's not like Harry Potter where I absolutely cannot focus at all.

Is there a link between this and the way I've always thought religion was so stupid and hated it? I think it's not just the reality that it's obviously not true but a distaste for that sort of fantasy genre in general. Here's the story about Jesus the Magic Man.. change the fucking channel. I don't know. Just basic proclivities I guess. I'd like to think if it's good art I'd be drawn to it but I can only suspend disbelief so far. Even for fiction.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-06-2017, 10:17 AM
RE: unable to focus on fantasy genres
I'm not a huge fantasy buff myself, although I do like zombie movies and tv shows. I'm not sure if that qualifies as fantasy? More sci-fi probably. Maybe subconsciously it has to do with religion in my case-however, I didn't really like fantasy stuff as a Christian either-well, besides Jesus Wink
30-06-2017, 10:26 AM
I had a fantasy about you.
30-06-2017, 10:54 AM
(30-06-2017 10:04 AM)ImFred Wrote:  Is there a link between this and the way I've always thought religion was so stupid and hated it? I think it's not just the reality that it's obviously not true but a distaste for that sort of fantasy genre in general. Here's the story about Jesus the Magic Man.. change the fucking channel. I don't know. Just basic proclivities I guess. I'd like to think if it's good art I'd be drawn to it but I can only suspend disbelief so far. Even for fiction.

I don't think so. I held religion in contempt and laugh at stupidity and absurdity of it, but it does not stop me from enjoying fantasy books. I like when they're grounded in real world though.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
30-06-2017, 10:58 AM
I like magic realism like Salmon Rushdie's Midnight's Children.
30-06-2017, 12:45 PM
Hard scifi is usually my first choice in light fiction. There are a few areas of fantasy that managed to grab me over the years. Mervyn Peak's Gormenghast trilogy, which is pretty bizarre; Steven Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, mainly because the hero is such a dick. A few of Fritz Leiber's Swords & Sorcery stories are mildly entertaining for me, but mostly I like him for his scifi writing. That's pretty much it.

I've never been able to get through Lord of the Rings; started it a half dozen times, and then quickly lost interest.

I'm able to get into horror fantasy more easily; H.P Lovecraft; Poe; Steven King; etc., I don't know that these choices have anything much to do with my atheism or my rejection of religion. I just seem more drawn to aliens and creeping horrors from beyond time and space, than to fairies, hobbits, and magicians. Which I suppose says something about my evil psyche. Smile

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
30-06-2017, 01:00 PM
(30-06-2017 10:26 AM)ImFred Wrote:  I had a fantasy about you.

Blush Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
30-06-2017, 01:20 PM
HeartChase
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
30-06-2017, 03:09 PM
I think I may be getting an inkling of why you're unable to focus . . . Big Grin

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
30-06-2017, 05:23 PM
(30-06-2017 10:04 AM)ImFred Wrote:  I can only suspend disbelief so far. Even for fiction.

Like jesus said "I think you nailed it"

Big Grin

What's the difference between a cow and religion?

You can't milk a cow for 2000 years...
[+] 1 user Likes Gruntsky's post