undergroundp- what do you think of the new PM for Greece?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2015, 06:13 PM
undergroundp- what do you think of the new PM for Greece?
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressive...of-greece/

He is atheist, thats a bonus, cant wait for that to happen in the US.

but how do you ( and others reading this) think this will affect most people in Greece? I remember past posts about things being hard to find employment that can support yourself, etc.

just wondering hiw you think this new PM might change things? good or bad?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2015, 07:07 PM
RE: undergroundp- what do you think of the new PM for Greece?
The Greeks have already been fucked flat by the bankers. How much worse could he make it?

I didn't know he was an atheist. Good. He won't have to waste time praying to his invisible sky-daddy.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
26-01-2015, 08:30 PM
(26-01-2015 06:13 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  He is atheist, thats a bonus, cant wait for that to happen in the US.

I love you so I am going to be real with you, buy the time that happens everyone who ever signed up for this forum will be dead and even the youngest members will have 10x great grandchildren.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
26-01-2015, 08:46 PM
(26-01-2015 08:30 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(26-01-2015 06:13 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  He is atheist, thats a bonus, cant wait for that to happen in the US.

I love you so I am going to be real with you, buy the time that happens everyone who ever signed up for this forum will be dead and even the youngest members will have 10x great grandchildren.

Nah.
In the 1960's Madeline Murray O'Hare was seen as the devil incarnate. 50 years later Alicia Floreck (the Good Wife) announces her non-belief on national TV, and no one bats an eyelash. American culture is no driven by Hollywood. If it's ok with them, it will soon be ok with 'Muricans.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
26-01-2015, 08:53 PM
Desperate people putting too much faith into someone who can't possibly dig them out of the shit hole they've entrenched themselves into is never a good thing. He's going to do his best, and when he can't magically fix all their problems they're gonna blame him for it.

But to answer the question... He seems like a smart guy. I like the fact that his education is in something other than law. I'm not fond of his background with the Communist Party, but his specific area of expertise might be what the country needs in the short term if he has opposition for the purpose of checks and balances against anything stupid he might try to do. But again, he's got some big problems to take on.

'Murican Canadian
26-01-2015, 09:50 PM
(26-01-2015 08:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Nah.
In the 1960's Madeline Murray O'Hare was seen as the devil incarnate.

If I had a nickel for everybody that was devil incarnate, I could buy a car.

(26-01-2015 08:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  50 years later Alicia Floreck (the Good Wife) announces her non-belief on national TV, and no one bats an eyelash.

Keep in mind she is just an actor, the president has more of a look, and in a still religious country as the U.S states, an atheist president will only get away when he serves 2 terms than says he was an atheist the whole time

(26-01-2015 08:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  American culture is no driven by Hollywood. If it's ok with them, it will soon be ok with 'Muricans.

The bible belt is a thing. I will however stay opened minded and give the benefit of the doubt that it can happen earlier. America my be really fucking stupid, but at least it tries to be smart.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
27-01-2015, 01:43 AM
Finally the exchange rate is going the way I want it to. When I moved to Germany the pound dropped as I was having to move my money to Euros. Hopefully the Euro will now crash and it will be easier to pay bills in Germany now that I am back living in the UK. Bring on the grexit and / or ECB quantitative easing I say!

As for the Greeks though. Completely understandable as far as I'm concerned. The global financial system is fundamentally flawed and why should the Greek people suffer because of it?
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
27-01-2015, 02:21 AM
(26-01-2015 06:13 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressive...of-greece/

He is atheist, thats a bonus, cant wait for that to happen in the US.

but how do you ( and others reading this) think this will affect most people in Greece? I remember past posts about things being hard to find employment that can support yourself, etc.

just wondering hiw you think this new PM might change things? good or bad?

I've learned to be cautious of any new promises and new prospects in politics. You know, an "if it sounds too good to be true it probably isn't" kind of thinking.

In this case, however, we do have a different kind of person (different background, he hasn't even been married or baptised his kids because he's not religious and supports gay marriage) with completely new ideas who could be what this country needs. At least that's how most people now see him. "At least he's against austerity measures, we shall see", that's the general feeling of people here right now.

I personally think he's a bit too naive and too confident. I'm pretty sure he's not entirely capable of handling the situation right now, even though I do believe he genuinely cares and wants to change things. He seems to be the "good guy" in all this, but not quite the skilled politician.

Everyone's hopes are up for a huge change, we hear about re-negotiations and even a debt relief, and even a much higher minimum wage. I prefer to remain cautious as I said, even though I have to admit that there is a little voice in my head saying "this might be it", although "it" might also mean leaving the EU (which, for me, is not an entirely bad thing) and starting over.

I didn't vote for him, I actually didn't vote at all this time.

(26-01-2015 08:53 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Desperate people putting too much faith into someone who can't possibly dig them out of the shit hole they've entrenched themselves into is never a good thing. He's going to do his best, and when he can't magically fix all their problems they're gonna blame him for it.

But to answer the question... He seems like a smart guy. I like the fact that his education is in something other than law. I'm not fond of his background with the Communist Party, but his specific area of expertise might be what the country needs in the short term if he has opposition for the purpose of checks and balances against anything stupid he might try to do. But again, he's got some big problems to take on.

That's pretty much what I think too. He can't magically save the day.

As for his background with the Communist Party, don't worry, the Communist Party thinks he's despicable Rolleyes

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
27-01-2015, 04:01 AM
(26-01-2015 08:30 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  

Lol Zeke. Well, there have been atheist politicians before, many in Europe, in the US not as many (and maybe not as open when they were alive) but it doesn't seem to be that far in time, hopefully.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
27-01-2015, 08:25 AM
I hope syriza has capable people who will make a difference, because if they dont other countries will be able to say "we need austerity, see others have tried and failed so we will stick to our plan of eradicating the middle and lower classes in a slow burn of this failing economy, passing legislation that protects us the ruling elite and passes the buck onto you, the serfs, who took no part in this financial terrorism"

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post