urantia book?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2015, 11:39 AM
urantia book?
A friend gave me a lot if information on the urantia book. I have to say it sounds like bullshit.

Aliens channeled through a person? And it seem to be more based on 'faith' more then anything. Am I wrong?

Ive been reading about it most of the night but I'm having a hard time getting past the aliens part lol.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2015, 11:42 AM
RE: urantia book?
(12-10-2015 11:39 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  A friend gave me a lot if information on the urantia book.

Is urantia the plural of uranus?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
12-10-2015, 12:13 PM
(12-10-2015 11:39 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  A friend gave me a lot if information on the urantia book. I have to say it sounds like bullshit.

Aliens channeled through a person? And it seem to be more based on 'faith' more then anything. Am I wrong?

Ive been reading about it most of the night but I'm having a hard time getting past the aliens part lol.

Oh the Urantia book is a great read. Highly entertaining. Parts of it anyway. Most of it is highly repetitive. It's all completely made up of course but the part about other planets with people on them is highly interesting reading. There's a guy over on Christianforums.com who is a devotee of the Urantia book and he cuts and pastes huge sections of it all the time. His screen name is Colter and he has been studying it since he was a teen he says.

One of my Grandmother's boyfriends gave me a copy to read. He was really into it. I think it is available for free online. It was published in 1959 and purports to be a new revelation from the Christian God.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
12-10-2015, 12:14 PM
(12-10-2015 11:42 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-10-2015 11:39 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  A friend gave me a lot if information on the urantia book.

Is urantia the plural of uranus?

I think that would be Urani, Uranii? Urantia is supposed to be the name of our planet.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
12-10-2015, 12:43 PM
(12-10-2015 12:13 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(12-10-2015 11:39 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  A friend gave me a lot if information on the urantia book. I have to say it sounds like bullshit.

Oh the Urantia book is a great read. Highly entertaining. Parts of it anyway. Most of it is highly repetitive. It's all completely made up of course but the part about other planets with people on them is highly interesting reading. There's a guy over on Christianforums.com who is a devotee of the Urantia book and he cuts and pastes huge sections of it all the time. His screen name is Colter and he has been studying it since he was a teen he says.

One of my Grandmother's boyfriends gave me a copy to read. He was really into it. I think it is available for free online. It was published in 1959 and purports to be a new revelation from the Christian God.

Thank you very much. I figured it was a bunch of made up crap.
12-10-2015, 01:58 PM
Welcome to Scientology's second cousin.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
12-10-2015, 02:34 PM
I read some of the first part The Universal Father

I figured it would set forth a cosmological model or something to that effect that could easily be dismissed, I wasn't disappointed:

Quote:The existence of God is utterly beyond all possibility of demonstration except for the contact between the God-consciousness of the human mind and the God-presence of the Thought Adjuster that indwells the mortal intellect and is bestowed upon man as the free gift of the Universal Father.

So it's deepity after deepity after deepity with a total rejection of any evidence in the natural universe right out of the gate.

No thanks......

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition