vegan philosophy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2014, 03:44 AM
RE: vegan philosophy
The discussion between Revenant77x and Michael Tadlock was particularly interesting to me but the views of the rest of you filled out this thread well. Thank you all.

By the way, my wife and I are not vegans or vegetarians. I am a hunter and a fisherman and we eat meat almost daily. We cannot stand the taste of cage raised chicken, etc. and consequently, we only eat free range. We get our beef, lamb, etc. from a rancher who is adamant about not shooting up his critters with antibiotics or feeding them hormones. However, we prefer deer, elk, antelope, wild turkey, pheasant, quail, etc. that I kill myself or fish that I catch. But, I'm getting old and creaky and it's hard to carry an elk off a mountain anymore. Even my horse, who is only 7, gets surly about that.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Black Eagle's post
06-08-2014, 04:00 AM
(06-08-2014 03:44 AM)Black Eagle Wrote:  The discussion between Revenant77x and Michael Tadlock was particularly interesting to me but the views of the rest of you filled out this thread well. Thank you all.

By the way, my wife and I are not vegans or vegetarians. I am a hunter and a fisherman and we eat meat almost daily. We cannot stand the taste of cage raised chicken, etc. and consequently, we only eat free range. We get our beef, lamb, etc. from a rancher who is adamant about not shooting up his critters with antibiotics or feeding them hormones. However, we prefer deer, elk, antelope, wild turkey, pheasant, quail, etc. that I kill myself or fish that I catch. But, I'm getting old and creaky and it's hard to carry an elk off a mountain anymore. Even my horse, who is only 7, gets surly about that.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
06-08-2014, 04:59 AM
(04-08-2014 08:28 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(04-08-2014 08:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I mean, why should it be?

That is it, I vote that eating plants and animals is immoral, from now on we will eat fungi.

I will agree to this policy under the sole condition that you lead the way by consuming some freshly picked Amanita phalloides, Amanita bisporigera, Amanita ocreata and Amanita virosa.
Consumption does not need to be in that order, but the equivalent of a full platter of all species combined must be eaten by yourself.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
06-08-2014, 09:14 AM

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
07-08-2014, 08:18 AM
(03-08-2014 12:08 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(03-08-2014 11:40 AM)atheistsince1950 Wrote:  I know there are vegan atheists, but I also know many atheists who care little about any species other than their own.

I haven't searched all the thousands of posts here, and haven't noticed a search button...but I believe this is far too important a topic to not have its own thread.

How do you know this? I mean, since it isn't a fact or anything.
How do you know it's not a fact?
You'll notice what was said was that the person knows many atheists who only care about their own species.
It's not like it was claimed that most atheists only care about their own species.
Just sayin....
07-08-2014, 09:59 AM
(07-08-2014 08:18 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(03-08-2014 12:08 PM)Anjele Wrote:  How do you know this? I mean, since it isn't a fact or anything.
How do you know it's not a fact?
You'll notice what was said was that the person knows many atheists who only care about their own species.
It's not like it was claimed that most atheists only care about their own species.
Just sayin....

Methinks the guy was saying that *unless* you are vegan you're some kinda speciesist thug who wants to nom the sentient creatures of the world - hence Anjele's comment.

Of course, some of us *are* Evil_monster

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
07-08-2014, 11:02 AM
Vegan is a preference not a philosophy. You are not a doctor, or evolutionary biologist for that matter. Our species evolved to be omnivores and diets range from individual to individual, bad habits aside.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-08-2014, 11:39 AM
(07-08-2014 11:02 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Vegan is a preference not a philosophy.

Veganism is a philosophy. It is also a shorthand for a diet. I think that is where the confusion is. It is possible to eat like a vegan without being one.

Quote:You are not a doctor, or evolutionary biologist for that matter. Our species evolved to be omnivores and diets range from individual to individual, bad habits aside.

I don't understand. What are you implying?
07-08-2014, 11:58 AM
(07-08-2014 11:39 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(07-08-2014 11:02 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Vegan is a preference not a philosophy.

Veganism is a philosophy. It is also a shorthand for a diet. I think that is where the confusion is. It is possible to eat like a vegan without being one.

Quote:You are not a doctor, or evolutionary biologist for that matter. Our species evolved to be omnivores and diets range from individual to individual, bad habits aside.

I don't understand. What are you implying?
No it is not. You chose to eat non animal products. Other members of our species do not do that and we still managed to evolve.

Do not project your personal ideas on the rest of society. If you have something valid then the only way to confirm your data is to put it in a lab in a neutral setting and have it peer reviewed. No sane doctor I know is going to tell all of humanity they should not eat animal products ever.

If you like that diet the only thing it is is a personal thing. It is not a requirement for all of humanity to survive.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-08-2014, 12:09 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2014 12:15 PM by Michael_Tadlock.)
I have no idea what it is you are trying to say, only that you appear to be very indignant about it. If you can formulate that into a coherent point, other than "don't tell me what to do" or "I don't have to you can't make me" I can respond.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post