vegan philosophy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2014, 12:23 PM
RE: vegan philosophy
1. Only a doctor, if you chose to see one about your diet, is qualified to tell you what it needs to be.

2. Our species is diverse so you cannot apply a one size fits all to everyone.

3. Our species evolved to be omnivores which means we eat both animal and plants.

I don't know how I can dumb that down further for you.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2014, 12:33 PM
(07-08-2014 12:23 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  1. Only a doctor, if you chose to see one about your diet, is qualified to tell you what it needs to be.

3. Our species evolved to be omnivores which means we eat both animal and plants.

Its plenty dumb enough, now I get it.

1) I feel obligated to tell you that doctors in general know next to nothing about nutrition. Nutritionist know quite a bit, but I don't see your point. Who is telling whom what they should or should not eat?

2) Agreed. But that is quite a broad and inspecific statement.

3) True, but I don't know where you are going with this.

You might have missed it, and I might have been misunderstood at some point, but this thread is not about why you should be a vegan, nor do I have any intention of trying to convince you, or anyone else for that matter, anything. Eat a cheeseburger while you read this thread, I don't care.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
07-08-2014, 12:39 PM
(04-08-2014 07:06 AM)Rinpoche Wrote:  I am very vegan.

As opposed to sort-of?

We have a vegan in the house but she also eats eggs.

I kinda hate that vegans can't have cheese.
Wtf's with cheese?

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
07-08-2014, 12:41 PM
(07-08-2014 12:39 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(04-08-2014 07:06 AM)Rinpoche Wrote:  I am very vegan.

As opposed to sort-of?

We have a vegan in the house but she also eats eggs.

I kinda hate that vegans can't have cheese.
Wtf's with cheese?

You probably don't want to know. I don't want to be accused of preaching. If you send me a PM I can tell you why most vegans don't do dairy.
07-08-2014, 01:05 PM
(07-08-2014 12:33 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(07-08-2014 12:23 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  1. Only a doctor, if you chose to see one about your diet, is qualified to tell you what it needs to be.

Its plenty dumb enough, now I get it.

1) I feel obligated to tell you that doctors in general know next to nothing about nutrition. Nutritionist know quite a bit, but I don't see your point. Who is telling whom what they should or should not eat?

You might have missed it, and I might have been misunderstood at some point, but this thread is not about why you should be a vegan, nor do I have any intention of trying to convince you, or anyone else for that matter, anything. Eat a cheeseburger while you read this thread, I don't care.
The title of the thread is calling a personal like a philosophy.

When you go around selling it as if it is the greatest thing since sliced bread others might buy into it. Problem being for the list I mentioned is why you should simply stick to calling it a personal like.

If you want to talk about it, that person before they start any diet needs to consult a doctor and not simply by a diet from someone who is not a doctor.

It is a personal like, it is not a dietary necessity. If it were all 7 billion of us would have evolved to do that.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-08-2014, 01:07 PM
(03-08-2014 05:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-08-2014 04:45 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  What would we do with all these cows if we didn't eat them? Big Grin

Capture their methane output as a renewable energy source. I see thousands of acres of cows in stalls with funnels up their ass. Technically we'd be vegan as long as we didn't eat them. Drinking Beverage

Seems like a good idea Girly...
If I had a dog, I know he would be the one in my house eating meat - raw meat. Cow, pig, chicken, etc.,. we could keep raising them for dairy and the occasional, although very downsized human consumption but, the major slaughter count could be used for leather production, and dog food.

Ok, I'll read through the rest of the thread, now. After this many pages in half a day, I'm fairly certain there's a fight I haven't gotten to, yet. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
07-08-2014, 01:21 PM
The dividing line between "well-treated" and "not well-treated" is arbitrary. The dividing line between "species that deserves to be well-treated" and "species that does not deserve to be well treated" is arbitary. It is, to a great extent, feels-based. Which is fine so far as that goes, but it means there's no rational argument to be made. To be preachy and sanctimonious about said naturally varying opinions is rather less endearing.

... this is my signature!
07-08-2014, 01:26 PM
Re: RE: vegan philosophy
(07-08-2014 01:05 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(07-08-2014 12:33 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Its plenty dumb enough, now I get it.

When you go around selling it as if it is the greatest thing since sliced bread others might buy into it. Problem being for the list I mentioned is why you should simply stick to calling it a personal like.

If you want to talk about it, that person before they start any diet needs to consult a doctor and not simply by a diet from someone who is not a doctor.

It is a personal like, it is not a dietary necessity. If it were all 7 billion of us would have evolved to do that.

You are coming off like you have a issue with calling it a philosophy... That doesn't make much sense.

Calling it that doesn't make it anything more than a "personal like." A philosophy isn't a grand statement right for everyone connotations. And the thread title doesn't indicate it should be. It's just brining up the topic as a discussion.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
07-08-2014, 01:40 PM
(07-08-2014 01:05 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(07-08-2014 12:33 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Its plenty dumb enough, now I get it.

You keep saying that, as if by the sheer force of you asserting so it becomes true. I have not particular vested interested in protecting veganisms status as a philosophy. It is just the sheer ignorance of it that annoys me.

From our friend wikipedia:

Quote:Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language.[1][2] Philosophy is distinguished from other ways of addressing such problems by its critical, generally systematic approach and its reliance on rational argument.[3] In more casual speech, by extension, "philosophy" can refer to "the most basic beliefs, concepts, and attitudes of an individual or group".[4]

Quote:Veganism /ˈviːɡənɪzəm/ is the practice of abstaining from the use of animal products, particularly in diet, as well as following an associated philosophy that rejects the commodity status of sentient animals. A follower of veganism is known as a vegan.

Quote:When you go around selling it as if it is the greatest thing since sliced bread others might buy into it. Problem being for the list I mentioned is why you should simply stick to calling it a personal like.

I am not selling anything. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

You clicked on a thread titled "vegan philosophy" and then appear to be upset that a vegan is talking about... their philosophy. If you are offended by the mere existance of vegans you should probably not participate in this thread.

Quote:If you want to talk about it, that person before they start any diet needs to consult a doctor and not simply by a diet from someone who is not a doctor.

If you have a medical need it would certainly be prudent to do so, yes. Once again though, not a doctor a nutritionist. They aren't the same thing.

The implication though, is that everybody already does this. People eat what they feel like eating, or sometimes, if they have a philosophy regarding food, what they principally believe in eating. Your nutritionist would probably tell you to stay away from pizza and fast food, but fuck'em we are adults, and we make our own decisions.

You seem to be dancing around the implication that veganism is not healthy. Which, I would hope if you were going to make such a claim, you would back up with evidence.

Quote:It is a personal like, it is not a dietary necessity. If it were all 7 billion of us would have evolved to do that.

Evolution tends to maximize reproduction to the exclusion of all other things. If specific type of genetic cancer would have helped our ancestors squirt out, on average, one more baby before they died, even if it killed them off at twenty three, then we would have all evolved towards that specific kind of cancer.

Besides of which, most of us don't live in west africa anymore. Nearly all the plants and animals we evolved to eat we don't eat anymore. That doesn't mean you should stop eating corn, potatoes, wheat, pork and chicken. We didn't evolve to drive cars, take medicine when we are ill, or play rugby either. That doesn't mean they are bad. They doesn't mean we shouldn't do them.

I am going to say this one more time, so you really know it's true; nobody is trying to get you to do anything. Eat whatever you want. I don't care.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
07-08-2014, 02:28 PM
Uhm... Brian .... Michael T is not the author of this thread.... atheistsince1950 is the original poster.

Just an FYI. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post