very old dog

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2015, 12:15 PM
very old dog
So our Mocha has been given a short leash on life. She's a shepard mix and 15 with kidneys that are just kaput. Mocha is just done. But we didnt leave her at the Vet's or have her put down. She's just home with us & we're letting her pick her own time. She has no pain and she is drinking but she wont eat. Cannot face food.
The Vet gave us medicine but we can't hide pills in food cause she won't eat. So. we're kinda like whatever on the meds.
We're not sure what to do. The 'death watch' feels weird.

Have any of you been in this boat?

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2015, 12:40 PM
RE: very old dog
I've not been there (I had a cat die suddenly) but offer only my sympathy.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
18-01-2015, 12:42 PM
(18-01-2015 12:40 PM)gofish! Wrote:  I've not been there (I had a cat die suddenly) but offer only my sympathy.

thanks
Sad

18-01-2015, 12:44 PM
First I want to say I am sorry you are facing this. Losing our pets is hard.

It's a decision you have to make. I would not want things to progress to a point where the meds are needed and can't be administered, and that is the most likely outcome. My choice in this matter would be quite different from yours.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
18-01-2015, 12:57 PM
I'm sorry. Hug losing a pet isn't easy. Lots of emotions and trying to do right by them.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-01-2015, 01:02 PM
(18-01-2015 12:44 PM)Anjele Wrote:  First I want to say I am sorry you are facing this. Losing our pets is hard.

It's a decision you have to make. I would not want things to progress to a point where the meds are needed and can't be administered, and that is the most likely outcome. My choice in this matter would be quite different from yours.

The Vet sent us home with meds that just prolong the inevitable which is a week or so...maybe two. He said to hide them in food but she just cannot face food. So our thinking (as he also said) ...the meds cannot really help.
It's a really difficult spot. We forced them on day one but she gagged & threw them up. So we forced them again completely pissing her off. It seems inhumane to force them.....when they won't fix her.
I dunno.....
this is awful.

18-01-2015, 01:06 PM
(18-01-2015 01:02 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(18-01-2015 12:44 PM)Anjele Wrote:  First I want to say I am sorry you are facing this. Losing our pets is hard.

The Vet sent us home with meds that just prolong the inevitable which is a week or so...maybe two. He said to hide them in food but she just cannot face food. So our thinking (as he also said) ...the meds cannot really help.
It's a really difficult spot. We forced them on day one but she gagged & threw them up. So we forced them again completely pissing her off. It seems inhumane to force them.....when they won't fix her.
I dunno.....
this is awful.

I have faced this before. It sounds to me like it's time to let her go.

My vet came to my house and administered phenobarbitol while I cradled my dear golden retriever, Poppy, in my arms. She went quietly as we stared into each other's eyes.
And then the tears came.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 12 users Like Chas's post
18-01-2015, 01:07 PM
(18-01-2015 12:57 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm sorry. Hug losing a pet isn't easy. Lots of emotions and trying to do right by them.

we're offering everything she ever liked and foods she's been denied....yanno....for fun or stimulate interest in eating.
we got her a new cushy soft bed.... and cuddling her on the couch...a lot.

she needs to know her pack is ok when its her time.
that's our focus right now.

18-01-2015, 01:09 PM
(18-01-2015 01:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-01-2015 01:02 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  The Vet sent us home with meds that just prolong the inevitable which is a week or so...maybe two. He said to hide them in food but she just cannot face food. So our thinking (as he also said) ...the meds cannot really help.
I dunno.....
this is awful.

I have faced this before. It sounds to me like it's time to let her go.

My vet came to my house and administered phenobarbitol while I cradled my dear golden retriever, Poppy, in my arms. She went quietly as we stared into each other's eyes.
And then the tears came.

we talked about this but want her to pick her time.
damn!

this is much harder on us than her.....

18-01-2015, 01:20 PM
It's hard and I don't downplay that aspect at all. It's up to you as her humans to make the humane decision.

My father was a veterinarian so I grew up with a different perspective, I think.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF