very old dog

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2015, 01:25 PM
RE: very old dog
(18-01-2015 01:20 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It's hard and I don't downplay that aspect at all. It's up to you as her humans to make the humane decision.

My father was a veterinarian so I grew up with a different perspective, I think.

I'd probably force the pills, Anj, if she'd keep them down.
We put in a call to the Vet's office late Friday & he'll call us back tomorrow morning. The call is to ask about forcing her with the meds, vommiting etc.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2015, 01:27 PM
Also, I should add....she's calm & just kinda hanging out. No pain, no whimpering, no crying, mostly sleeping. Every once in awhile She seems like she can't settle...thats all.

18-01-2015, 01:30 PM
Unfortunately, she cannot pick her time. I don't think animals are any different from us, and she is just lying there trying to be as comfortable as she can muster in a failing body. I am sure she wishes it would end. She can't make it end.

I agree with not prolonging the process for her, you don't even know how much pain she has. We only guess. Dogs are made to hide it, they get thrown out of the pack when ill.

I recommend what Chas said - call a vet to come to your house and do it there. I usually do that, too.

It would be the biggest gift you ever gave her, your sacrifice.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 8 users Like Dom's post
18-01-2015, 02:02 PM
(18-01-2015 01:09 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(18-01-2015 01:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  I have faced this before. It sounds to me like it's time to let her go.

My vet came to my house and administered phenobarbitol while I cradled my dear golden retriever, Poppy, in my arms. She went quietly as we stared into each other's eyes.
And then the tears came.

we talked about this but want her to pick her time.
damn!

this is much harder on us than her.....

I don't know if it's harder on you than her. Dogs know when there is something wrong with them. It's got to be scary. They're hard wired not to show outright pain.

But in another post you did mention that she can't seem to settle -- that is a sign of discomfort -- and could be an indication of pain.

I know I'll be in your shoes one day (maybe sooner than I'd like my dog will be 13 this year). So I'm pretty emotional about this topic.

I don't want you to be upset or hurt or feel the need you have justify your decision. It's just not a view I share.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

18-01-2015, 02:34 PM
(18-01-2015 02:02 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(18-01-2015 01:09 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  we talked about this but want her to pick her time.
damn!

this is much harder on us than her.....

I don't know if it's harder on you than her. Dogs know when there is something wrong with them. It's got to be scary. They're hard wired not to show outright pain.

But in another post you did mention that she can't seem to settle -- that is a sign of discomfort -- and could be an indication of pain.

I know I'll be in your shoes one day (maybe sooner than I'd like my dog will be 13 this year). So I'm pretty emotional about this topic.

I don't want you to be upset or hurt or feel the need you have justify your decision. It's just not a view I share.

Thank you zo much. I'm pretty much hanging on your (&everyone's word here). The concern for her is so very touching and greatly appreciated. Don't know if our vet will drive here but can ask in tomorrow morning's call.
No...no argument or anything but gratitude from me.
I'm glad I can share with you guys.

[+] 3 users Like WitchSabrina's post
18-01-2015, 02:44 PM
When they refuse food they are telling you "it's time."

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 8 users Like Minimalist's post
18-01-2015, 02:50 PM
(18-01-2015 02:34 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(18-01-2015 02:02 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I don't know if it's harder on you than her. Dogs know when there is something wrong with them. It's got to be scary. They're hard wired not to show outright pain.

Thank you zo much. I'm pretty much hanging on your (&everyone's word here). The concern for her is so very touching and greatly appreciated. Don't know if our vet will drive here but can ask in tomorrow morning's call.
No...no argument or anything but gratitude from me.
I'm glad I can share with you guys.

Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

18-01-2015, 02:52 PM
I suppose I'm just echoing what others have said, but I agree that dogs cannot choose their time to die any more than we can. But on the other hand, putting down a family dog is about the hardest thing I've ever done.

Not an easy spot to be in. Wish I could give you a big hug right now.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
18-01-2015, 03:07 PM
right now we're elated....she just took some food!
Medications administered.

but her eyes still tell me "It's time, mamma."

Mocha just adopted me when I moved here last year without one moment's hesitation. we've been inseparable since. She's been so good to me.

I love this stinky old dog so....can't stop weeping over what's to come.

thanks guys

18-01-2015, 03:12 PM
(18-01-2015 03:07 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  right now we're elated....she just took some food!
Medications administered.

but her eyes still tell me "It's time, mamma."

Mocha just adopted me when I moved here last year without one moment's hesitation. we've been inseparable since. She's been so good to me.

I love this stinky old dog so....can't stop weeping over what's to come.

thanks guys

Those eyes don't lie. Hugs to you all for what's ahead.

Peace...

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post