very old dog

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2015, 04:23 PM
RE: very old dog
(18-01-2015 03:12 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(18-01-2015 03:07 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  right now we're elated....she just took some food!
Medications administered.

but her eyes still tell me "It's time, mamma."

Mocha just adopted me when I moved here last year without one moment's hesitation. we've been inseparable since. She's been so good to me.

I love this stinky old dog so....can't stop weeping over what's to come.

thanks guys

Those eyes don't lie. Hugs to you all for what's ahead.

Peace...

Thanks Anj.
<3

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2015, 05:04 PM
So sorry you are going through this. We had something similar with two of our cats a few years ago. they were brought up together and both died of old age at 18. The first went quite quickly of kidney failure but the other hung on for a couple of months. there was no sign of discomfort but she, like your dog, went off her food. Carol (the boss at home) spent hours getting her to eat something. We got some cat food that was a smooth paste and watered it down so it was fairly runny. She would then lick this off Carols fingers. She would drink cat milk nearly right up to the end but would put one of her front paws in the bowl. Then shake her paw dry, it took months to get all the milk splashes off the furniture.
We made a heated bed for her with an old electric blanket next to my lounge chair where she spent most of her time. She would only get up to drink and use her litter tray. She remained a clean cat right up to the end.
I used to sit with one hand resting on her, one evening she looked up at me, settled down again and died. Very quiet and peaceful.
The only thing that gave any comfort, and I hope the same will apply for you, is that it was expected so we had time to accept it before it happened. Certainly when we have lost cats suddenly it has been more upsetting.
We now have a cat that is nearly 21, still going strong but it can't be too long before we have to go through it all again.
Thinking of you and whatever you do don't blame yourself or question yourself with what if? You have done the best you can and I'm sure Mocha appreciated the love you gave over the last year.
Take care.
Steve
Hug Hug

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
[+] 1 user Likes stevec's post
18-01-2015, 05:21 PM
(18-01-2015 05:04 PM)stevec Wrote:  So sorry you are going through this. We had something similar with two of our cats a few years ago. they were brought up together and both died of old age at 18. The first went quite quickly of kidney failure but the other hung on for a couple of months. there was no sign of discomfort but she, like your dog, went off her food. Carol (the boss at home) spent hours getting her to eat something. We got some cat food that was a smooth paste and watered it down so it was fairly runny. She would then lick this off Carols fingers. She would drink cat milk nearly right up to the end but would put one of her front paws in the bowl. Then shake her paw dry, it took months to get all the milk splashes off the furniture.
We made a heated bed for her with an old electric blanket next to my lounge chair where she spent most of her time. She would only get up to drink and use her litter tray. She remained a clean cat right up to the end.
I used to sit with one hand resting on her, one evening she looked up at me, settled down again and died. Very quiet and peaceful.
The only thing that gave any comfort, and I hope the same will apply for you, is that it was expected so we had time to accept it before it happened. Certainly when we have lost cats suddenly it has been more upsetting.
We now have a cat that is nearly 21, still going strong but it can't be too long before we have to go through it all again.
Thinking of you and whatever you do don't blame yourself or question yourself with what if? You have done the best you can and I'm sure Mocha appreciated the love you gave over the last year.
Take care.
Steve
Hug Hug

Thank you. And for typing your story which so resembles our own.

thanks.....
so much thanks

<3

[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
18-01-2015, 05:53 PM
(18-01-2015 05:21 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Thank you. And for typing your story which so resembles our own.

thanks.....
so much thanks

<3

There are no thanks needed, but they are very much appreciated.
I can only hope my story helps you in some way. Please remember the last sentence and realise it's not your fault, you have done well for Mocha.

Thank you very much for the rep. probably not deserved but, like the thanks very much appreciated.

Best wishes to you and yours.

Steve

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
[+] 1 user Likes stevec's post
18-01-2015, 06:14 PM
Witchy, I'm so sorry Hug

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
18-01-2015, 06:25 PM
Witch, just found this thread. I'm really sorry about what you're going through. I dread the day my pet is going to go. Sad

And Chas' story only makes me hate that day even more. But we don't really have a choice, do we? Since we must face it, the least I can do is offer you my support, I wish you and your family the strength you need to get through it.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
18-01-2015, 06:31 PM
My avatar, Riggs, died in my arms when the vet administered the shot. He had stopped eating, he had osteosarcoma and was in great pain. He looked into my eyes and we both knew. Now I’m crying.

Be happy you love this deeply Witchy.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
18-01-2015, 08:20 PM
Few things in life more difficult than this. I'm facing the same within a few weeks. Mine is still eating. Animals seem to accept death with resignation and dignity. When it's over and you're hurting, try to remember it's only because the love was so beautiful, and always will be.
[+] 1 user Likes freetoreason's post
18-01-2015, 08:23 PM
(18-01-2015 06:31 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  My avatar, Riggs, died in my arms when the vet administered the shot. He had stopped eating, he had osteosarcoma and was in great pain. He looked into my eyes and we both knew. Now I’m crying.

Be happy you love this deeply Witchy.

Thank you, Full.
Today she really hasn't had much of anything and hours are passing by. So I'm thinking the call tomorrow, am with the vet will be a quick conversation.

thanks everyone....truly

[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
18-01-2015, 09:28 PM
A year ago, Dec 30, a vet came to our house for our final goodbyes to our yellow labrador, Nilla Woofer. We nursed him the two weeks before and during Christmas with two young girls. It ranked right up there with saying goodbye to my parents. He was my baby after two miscarriages and I felt like I would never have children, and he was wonderful to both of my girls when they finally came along. It was hard to say goodbye, but I think it was harder for him to try to stay.

sending love and hugs to you and your pup.

Heart

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post