very old dog

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2015, 10:18 AM
RE: very old dog
My wife works at an animal hospital and shares this wisdom for owners of healthy pets (though it's worth considering for all pet owners):

In order to lessen your own grief and the suffering of your pet, make a list of three things that the pet LOVES to do (usually some variation of eat, snuggle, and play). When the pet is no longer able to do two out of three, it is reasonable to assume that your little guy's quality of life has dramatically decreased.

When two out of three things are gone AND your pet is geriatric, the humane thing to do is to euthanize them.

"The truth must dazzle gradually / or every man be blind." Emily Dickinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2015, 12:31 PM
(04-02-2015 10:18 AM)Virgo Supercluster Wrote:  My wife works at an animal hospital and shares this wisdom for owners of healthy pets (though it's worth considering for all pet owners):

In order to lessen your own grief and the suffering of your pet, make a list of three things that the pet LOVES to do (usually some variation of eat, snuggle, and play). When the pet is no longer able to do two out of three, it is reasonable to assume that your little guy's quality of life has dramatically decreased.

When two out of three things are gone AND your pet is geriatric, the humane thing to do is to euthanize them.

Our Pawospice caregiver rated Mocha at a 38 this morning. 35 or more is considered continued quality of life. She's still content w no spasms or pain.
Our on-call vet remains on speed dial for in-home euthanasia. This morning she was playing with the kittens.
we're taking more than usual photos.

*puddle*

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
04-02-2015, 12:39 PM
Last animal I had to put down was my belgian bouvier... Some purebreds have tendencies to disease - and the bouviers frequently get cancer... She had it all through her, and went downhill very quickly. I'm a "do-it-yourself" kinda guy, so - yep -- did it myself. Gave her a chunk of meat to gnaw on to distract her, then a couple quick 22 rounds to the back of the head... Nary a twitch........

Lots of people find that harsh - but, she didn't like the vet -- so she got a quick checkout at home. Just another one of those things, when ya live in the boonies.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
04-02-2015, 01:35 PM
Just called the in-home euthanasia vet.
She'll be here in half an hour. Mocha is just in Tina's arms.

04-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Nothing good about it -- but - doing at home is SOOOO much better than the impersonal, clinical end at a vet's office.....

I know how ya feel.

Sad

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
04-02-2015, 02:01 PM
(04-02-2015 01:35 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Just called the in-home euthanasia vet.

Be strong and calm for Mocha - just hang in a little longer.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
04-02-2015, 02:42 PM
(04-02-2015 01:35 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Just called the in-home euthanasia vet.

From one dog lover to another a huge hug.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
04-02-2015, 02:56 PM
Mocha is gone.

Smelly old dog...she was no trouble.
Ever

..ccannot stop sobbing

[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
04-02-2015, 02:57 PM
thanks everyone

04-02-2015, 02:59 PM
(04-02-2015 02:56 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Mocha is gone.

Smelly old dog...she was no trouble.
Ever

..ccannot stop sobbing

Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post