voxxpopulisuxx from SD

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2014, 12:50 PM
RE: voxxpopulisuxx from SD
(01-01-2014 12:45 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote:  if you make no appeal to authority than all you assert is just a personal opinion

Who's authority should we appeal to? Wouldn't the opinion of the authority still just be someone's opinion? I prefer to do my own thinking, thank you very much. You can bow to whoever you want to but it doesn't make you or them right.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post
01-01-2014, 12:51 PM
(01-01-2014 12:39 PM)Foxen Wrote:  Morality in relation to good and evil is quite simple in its origins.

Anthropology has determined that primitive man realized it was more beneficial for the survival of the clan if their numbers were not decreased by something such as senseless murder.

No god required in a sound explanation of how morality arose in humanity.

Evil men simply have no conscience. No supernatural explanation required.
Religious people who claim they would not be good without god are mere sociopaths. No supernatural explanation required.
Good people are good for the sake of being good. No supernatural explanation required.
Conscience? please expand? why would it be evil not to have one...and further is it possible to prove who HAS one and who does not?
01-01-2014, 12:53 PM
(01-01-2014 12:49 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 12:39 PM)Jayne Wrote:  Isn't it bad enough that you convince all the atheists who come to SD that Catholics are stupid jerks? You have to come here and make a bad impression on even more. Go away.
Well well I was wondering how long this would take. I suppose you never heard of Ronald Reagans 11th commandment about republicans (you know and apply it to Catholics). It is you my dear who by cutting my throat publicly here embarrass SD...unless you are prepared to say openly that I am not in fact a faithful Catholic.

Oh, no no...you did a fine job all on your own of embarrassing yourself and SD. You seem quite capable without assistance from anyone.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
01-01-2014, 12:54 PM
(01-01-2014 12:50 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 12:45 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote:  if you make no appeal to authority than all you assert is just a personal opinion

Who's authority should we appeal to? Wouldn't the opinion of the authority still just be someone's opinion? I prefer to do my own thinking, thank you very much. You can bow to whoever you want to but it doesn't make you or them right.
I dont care who does your thinking....in fact no one CAN think for another....And your first two questions are FANTASTIQUE! exactly the crux of the problem of evil.
As I said it seems to be undefinable while at the same time clearly recognizable.
01-01-2014, 12:55 PM
(01-01-2014 12:51 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote:  why would it be evil not to have one...and further is it possible to prove who HAS one and who does not?

Those without a conscience do tend to be evil, as has been quite extensively studied and verified by psychology and psychiatry.
01-01-2014, 12:58 PM
(01-01-2014 12:51 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 12:39 PM)Foxen Wrote:  Morality in relation to good and evil is quite simple in its origins.

Anthropology has determined that primitive man realized it was more beneficial for the survival of the clan if their numbers were not decreased by something such as senseless murder.

No god required in a sound explanation of how morality arose in humanity.

Evil men simply have no conscience. No supernatural explanation required.
Religious people who claim they would not be good without god are mere sociopaths. No supernatural explanation required.
Good people are good for the sake of being good. No supernatural explanation required.
Conscience? please expand? why would it be evil not to have one...and further is it possible to prove who HAS one and who does not?

Conscience= empathy, sympathy, kindness, love, the want to do the right thing....... Yes ?
01-01-2014, 01:00 PM
(01-01-2014 12:39 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 12:31 PM)morondog Wrote:  By the way, there are replies to the original thread as well which still kinda pertain to this conversation - in particular I replied to you...
can you get it put here?

Will ask a merchant of death...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
01-01-2014, 01:04 PM
(01-01-2014 01:00 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 12:39 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote:  can you get it put here?

Will ask a merchant of death...

The deed is done.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
01-01-2014, 01:07 PM
(01-01-2014 12:58 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 12:51 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote:  Conscience? please expand? why would it be evil not to have one...and further is it possible to prove who HAS one and who does not?

Conscience= empathy, sympathy, kindness, love, the want to do the right thing....... Yes ?
I would think they are the fruits of a good conscience.
But the question stands is it possible to prove a lack of conscience? I agree we can prove the lack of empathy sympathy kindness love etc..
01-01-2014, 01:08 PM
(01-01-2014 12:55 PM)Foxen Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 12:51 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote:  why would it be evil not to have one...and further is it possible to prove who HAS one and who does not?

Those without a conscience do tend to be evil, as has been quite extensively studied and verified by psychology and psychiatry.
but how did they prove the existence or non existence of a conscience?