voxxpopulisuxx from SD

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2014, 01:13 PM
RE: voxxpopulisuxx from SD
(01-01-2014 01:08 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 12:55 PM)Foxen Wrote:  Those without a conscience do tend to be evil, as has been quite extensively studied and verified by psychology and psychiatry.
but how did they prove the existence or non existence of a conscience?

The existence of a conscience is irrelevant.

If persons lack empathy, they are sick, they have not been endowed with the equipment we have evolved to carry. They can be expected to do "evil" things unless we learn of a way to help them.

If our instincts of self preservation collide with the instinct of survival of the species, "evil" also results in the form of war and feuds and the like.

These are the causes of evil.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
01-01-2014, 01:15 PM
(01-01-2014 12:38 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 12:34 PM)morondog Wrote:  And your reason for rejecting it is... ?
because its circular.

Ha! Indeed it is. So perhaps to remove the circularity I'll just say that there is no particular reason, I just like it that way. I am *evolved* to like it that way and I was brought up in a society which likes it that way.

BTW the post which was moved is... here (link).

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
01-01-2014, 01:24 PM
(01-01-2014 01:07 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 12:58 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Conscience= empathy, sympathy, kindness, love, the want to do the right thing....... Yes ?
I would think they are the fruits of a good conscience.
But the question stands is it possible to prove a lack of conscience? I agree we can prove the lack of empathy sympathy kindness love etc..

Sure, the lack of said definition.

And if refering to conscience as in justifing a action of ill intent, that would become a sociatal issue to judge. This doesnt require a god or any religious doctrin.
01-01-2014, 01:40 PM
(01-01-2014 12:54 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 12:50 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Who's authority should we appeal to? Wouldn't the opinion of the authority still just be someone's opinion? I prefer to do my own thinking, thank you very much. You can bow to whoever you want to but it doesn't make you or them right.
I dont care who does your thinking....in fact no one CAN think for another....And your first two questions are FANTASTIQUE! exactly the crux of the problem of evil.
As I said it seems to be undefinable while at the same time clearly recognizable.

I think it is absolutely definable. However, the definition (as well as the recognition) of evil will vary with every person you ask. Where you see some tangible force out there that is causing people to do harm, I simply see the worst of our human nature.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
01-01-2014, 01:48 PM
Yes....KC, aka zzyzzx has a crazy worldview. Yours on the other hand is....

Well let's check.

Magic crackers and wine? Check.
Omnipotent, omniciencent creator of everything which is all good? Check.
The scientific community is out to trick you? Check.
Only way to avoid eternal damnation and burning alive forever is to believe and practice the contradictory views of a handful of of Jews and Christians a couple of thousand of years ago with no good evidence for their incessant and dumbfounded beliefs? Check.
Believes the Devil or Scientists are influencing facts that contradict your beliefs? Check.

Need I go on?

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
01-01-2014, 01:52 PM
(01-01-2014 01:48 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Yes....KC, aka zzyzzx has a crazy worldview. Yours on the other hand is....

Well let's check.

Magic crackers and wine? Check.
Omnipotent, omniciencent creator of everything which is all good? Check.
The scientific community is out to trick you? Check.
Only way to avoid eternal damnation and burning alive forever is to believe and practice the contradictory views of a handful of of Jews and Christians a couple of thousand of years ago with no good evidence for their incessant and dumbfounded beliefs? Check.
Believes the Devil or Scientists are influencing facts that contradict your beliefs? Check.

Need I go on?

Magic crackers that turn into yucky body parts no less... BTW dumbfounded does not in fact mean 'founded in dumb shit', but more like 'struck dumb / gobsmacked'... at least, that's how I use it...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
01-01-2014, 02:45 PM
Im rather underwhelmed at the intellectual effort thus far. All the usual ad hominums and attempts to insult me or my faith> Check
Only 2 folks so far have attempted a serious and intelligent debate with me..one whos argument boils down to...dunno thats just the way it is and we like it.....so how is this place better in that capacity than SD?

BTW to set the record straight I never said I was representing SD here...I am here on my own capacity as a practicing Catholic. KC said he wanted more catholics to discuss what they believe here....I dunno why?
01-01-2014, 02:51 PM
(01-01-2014 01:40 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 12:54 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote:  I dont care who does your thinking....in fact no one CAN think for another....And your first two questions are FANTASTIQUE! exactly the crux of the problem of evil.
As I said it seems to be undefinable while at the same time clearly recognizable.

I think it is absolutely definable. However, the definition (as well as the recognition) of evil will vary with every person you ask. Where you see some tangible force out there that is causing people to do harm, I simply see the worst of our human nature.
I fully believe people commit evil of their own volition with no need of an external Intellect behind it. So I never mentioned a tangible force. I would describe it more like a recognizable force. Much as the UN General did of his dealings during the Rwandan genocide. I also personally know folks who went thru the Ukrainian genocide perpetrated by darwinist atheists.

As far as varying degrees of evil....do you think there is a core "evil" action or thing you would expect all humans to recognise? regardless theist non theist?
01-01-2014, 02:54 PM
(01-01-2014 01:13 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 01:08 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote:  but how did they prove the existence or non existence of a conscience?

The existence of a conscience is irrelevant.

If persons lack empathy, they are sick, they have not been endowed with the equipment we have evolved to carry. They can be expected to do "evil" things unless we learn of a way to help them.

If our instincts of self preservation collide with the instinct of survival of the species, "evil" also results in the form of war and feuds and the like.

These are the causes of evil.

so you a assert a genetic cause of evil...or a genetic defect perhaps?
01-01-2014, 03:01 PM
(01-01-2014 12:49 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 12:39 PM)Jayne Wrote:  Isn't it bad enough that you convince all the atheists who come to SD that Catholics are stupid jerks? You have to come here and make a bad impression on even more. Go away.
Well well I was wondering how long this would take. I suppose you never heard of Ronald Reagans 11th commandment about republicans (you know and apply it to Catholics). It is you my dear who by cutting my throat publicly here embarrass SD...unless you are prepared to say openly that I am not in fact a faithful Catholic.

I am not an American and I know more about Ronald Reagan as an actor than as a president. (Did you know that he was not originally cast in Humphrey Bogart's role in Casa Blanca, as is commonly believed?) I have no clue what he said about Republicans.

I also have no clue whether you are a faithful Catholic. I can't read your mind. I do know that you cannot write coherently or grammatically and that you have no business trying to represent Catholicism to non-Catholics. I am not saying this to be mean or to hurt your feelings. You are not helping the Church and are probably harming her.