vs. intellect on Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2012, 05:46 PM
vs. intellect on Facebook
A friend of mine posted an image of a sticky note on Facebook. The note read as follows:

"sometimes the best thing you can do is not think, not wonder, not imagine, not obsess. just breathe, & have faith that everything will work out for the best. <3 <3 <3"

I made this response:

"Whoah. Not imagine? Not wonder?! Most of all not think? Sorry, can't oblige. I'll not obsess/worry best I can, but I have to make my life. That's the best thing I can do."

No one has come to lambaste me yet for speaking against faith, but I suspect they will. I also realise the poster probably meant this message in the vein of "don't obsess, etc. over bad things happening, just relax". But the wording was kind of a slap to me, and I responded to it. I'm starting (thanks in part to some of you folks here, especially whoever posted the YouTube vid of Lawrence Krauss from the 2009 AII wherein he talked about the beginning of the universe) to get back into maths and into physics for the first time and I'm loving it. Stuff is starting to click - stuff I never thought I'd be able to understand. So awesome. I love thinking. I'm a fiction writer, so I love wondering and imagining too. So to hear another writer who's also a serious Christian (last I heard anyhow) talking about not doing these things... it's not something I feel I can let go.

I hate the anti-intellectualism of the organised religions. Don't think, let god take care of it.

Incidentally, a sign for one of the twelve bazillion churches around here currently reads, "Connect the Bible to life". I want to steal their ''F"s and slip them under their door. "This is your grade! Two of them, even!"

Okay, rant thingy over now. Thanks for reading.

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
vs. intellect on Facebook - calmblueocean - 26-06-2012 05:46 PM
RE: vs. intellect on Facebook - Kinger - 26-06-2012, 07:19 PM
RE: vs. intellect on Facebook - Bucky Ball - 26-06-2012, 07:25 PM
RE: vs. intellect on Facebook - Logisch - 26-06-2012, 07:40 PM
RE: vs. intellect on Facebook - Thomas - 26-06-2012, 07:52 PM
RE: vs. intellect on Facebook - earmuffs - 26-06-2012, 10:05 PM
RE: vs. intellect on Facebook - Filox - 28-06-2012, 03:08 AM
RE: vs. intellect on Facebook - robotworld - 28-06-2012, 10:33 AM
RE: vs. intellect on Facebook - Rahn127 - 28-06-2012, 11:35 AM