vs. intellect on Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2012, 05:46 PM
vs. intellect on Facebook
A friend of mine posted an image of a sticky note on Facebook. The note read as follows:

"sometimes the best thing you can do is not think, not wonder, not imagine, not obsess. just breathe, & have faith that everything will work out for the best. <3 <3 <3"

I made this response:

"Whoah. Not imagine? Not wonder?! Most of all not think? Sorry, can't oblige. I'll not obsess/worry best I can, but I have to make my life. That's the best thing I can do."

No one has come to lambaste me yet for speaking against faith, but I suspect they will. I also realise the poster probably meant this message in the vein of "don't obsess, etc. over bad things happening, just relax". But the wording was kind of a slap to me, and I responded to it. I'm starting (thanks in part to some of you folks here, especially whoever posted the YouTube vid of Lawrence Krauss from the 2009 AII wherein he talked about the beginning of the universe) to get back into maths and into physics for the first time and I'm loving it. Stuff is starting to click - stuff I never thought I'd be able to understand. So awesome. I love thinking. I'm a fiction writer, so I love wondering and imagining too. So to hear another writer who's also a serious Christian (last I heard anyhow) talking about not doing these things... it's not something I feel I can let go.

I hate the anti-intellectualism of the organised religions. Don't think, let god take care of it.

Incidentally, a sign for one of the twelve bazillion churches around here currently reads, "Connect the Bible to life". I want to steal their ''F"s and slip them under their door. "This is your grade! Two of them, even!"

Okay, rant thingy over now. Thanks for reading.

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-06-2012, 07:19 PM
RE: vs. intellect on Facebook
I read this crap all the time on facebook. I posted something awhile back where someone said "you are gods project and god never fails." or something along those lines. I wanted to post a reply so bad, but did not because I didn't want to see all the religious ranting. If I would have replied I would have said something along these lines: "So if god never fails, does this mean when someone gets their limbs blown off, it's gods plan? When a child is born with deformities, it is gods plan? When a natural disaster destroys a town of innocent people, this is gods plan? When someone is diagnosed with an incurable disease, this is gods plan?". Name anything that is horrible and ask, how can this be part of a plan.

Justin
26-06-2012, 07:25 PM (This post was last modified: 26-06-2012 07:30 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(26-06-2012 07:19 PM)Kinger Wrote:  I read this crap all the time on facebook. I posted something awhile back where someone said "you are gods project and god never fails." or something along those lines. I wanted to post a reply so bad, but did not because I didn't want to see all the religious ranting. If I would have replied I would have said something along these lines: "So if god never fails, does this mean when someone gets their limbs blown off, it's gods plan? When a child is born with deformities, it is gods plan? When a natural disaster destroys a town of innocent people, this is gods plan? When someone is diagnosed with an incurable disease, this is gods plan?". Name anything that is horrible and ask, how can this be part of a plan.

I like posting : "God has a plan, quit screwing it up with your prayers".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
26-06-2012, 07:40 PM
I don't have too many overzealous fundies so I don't read this stuff usually. The most I've seen once in a while are "God is so neat!" type stuff, but nothing quite that nuts.
26-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Intellect and Facebook should never be used in the same sentence, except to point out its absence.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 4 users Like Thomas's post
26-06-2012, 10:05 PM
Can't say I get this religious shit (or I wouldn't have added them as a friend in the first place...), but instead I just get: "Just brought a duvet" (no lies, I just went to my FB and that was top) or my personal favorite "why is life so hard? Will it ever get better? I'm so depressed right now" to which I respond, "are you a starving child in Africa? no? didn't think so, stfu." to which *XXX has removed earmuffs as a friend*. Meh, one less fuckhead.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
28-06-2012, 03:08 AM
Every day I confirm myself that not having Facbook ever is one of the smartest things I have done.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 3 users Like Filox's post
28-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Facebook, a place where putrid people post platitudinous posts to obtain obnoxious opinions which supply superfluous sympathy. People squander seemingly substantial time over trite tidbits of the world wide web. It's mental masturbation masked as mutual ministration.

Remember the time where your wall isn't filled with vapid "meme" picture from content aggregating sites like 9gag or incessant requests from your "friends" to join a pointless group or to help them in some virtual game where 50% of the content is only obtainable by paying real cash? Me neither.

Although, once in a blue moon, something intelligent or genuinely interesting pops up.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 1 user Likes robotworld's post
28-06-2012, 10:51 AM
facebook is for Gwynnies. Heart

Well, everything is Gwynnies with this idiot. Blush

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
28-06-2012, 11:06 AM
I've contemplated leaving Facebook on many an occasion. I've removed most of the people who post utterly dumb/pointless stuff (or things like the above example, which when I respond to it I get pounced on). I only add people I actually know, and many of those are in the freethinker/atheist crowd. There are a few who post poignant, interesting things, though I think the majority of them are also on G+, which I prefer for not being full (yet) of stupid crap.

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss