vs. intellect on Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2012, 11:35 AM
RE: vs. intellect on Facebook
I have to stop myself most of the time from making comments on religious posts on fb because my family and close friends are there, so usually I just hide the posts and or change the settings on what I see from that person to "only important". It's good that fb includes the religious posts as unimportant, so that way I rarely ever have to see them. One of the most recent posts that a female friend of mine made was "Without god, I suck".

I wanted to comment "So it's going to take atheism before you'll go down on your boyfriend" ? - But I refrained and didn't post it.

It's sad to think that this girl feels that her life would suck without this mental delusion of a god that she has playing in her head.
She speaks 3-4 languages fluently. Age the 18 she got her high school diploma and her bachelors degree from the University of Florida all in the same week.
She's been accepted to Harvard and is one of the most intelligent women I know, but as a young girl, she had brain cancer and wasn't expected to live.
She became super religious and when she didn't die, it set those religious foundations in her mind like concrete.

So I give her a pass on the religious stuff and chalk it up to the cancer destroying the part of her brain that uses rational thought.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-06-2012, 12:09 PM
(28-06-2012 11:35 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I have to stop myself most of the time from making comments on religious posts on fb because my family and close friends are there, so usually I just hide the posts and or change the settings on what I see from that person to "only important". It's good that fb includes the religious posts as unimportant, so that way I rarely ever have to see them. One of the most recent posts that a female friend of mine made was "Without god, I suck".
When I posted my blog article, Colorado Burning , on my FB page I received several, less-than-positive responses from religious friends. I responded with the following:

"I'm not responding to every post in my news feed that is asking for prayers for the fires - people making these requests, while in my opinion are misguided, also have my respect for their opinions. That said, I cannot think... of a more useless activity in life than praying. That is my opinion - I'd love to get the same respect I give Smile. I understand that it's emotionally difficult to understand, but it's something I have to say as well...not trying to hurt anyone, or make anyone sad or anxious through expression of my beliefs, or lack thereof.

If you happen to post a request for prayers, I'd never dream of commenting with a "that's so incredibly stupid" or "what a waste of time" or "it makes me sad that you think a deity will send rain..." just throwing that out there for food for thought...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-06-2012, 12:54 PM
I like to say this to theists who pray. "If you believe that everything that happens in the world, happens according to god's will, then praying is asking god to change his plan, to change his will. What you are really praying for is an outcome that is different than god's plan, because you know that his plan sucks. His plan involves death, suffering, torture, torment, amputated limbs, wars, plagues, disease, famine, rape, murder, and everything else that horribly happens in this natural world. You pray for god to have some human morality. You pray for him to stop being evil. You pray for justice from a god who is unjust.

As Hitchens once said "What would there be to fear if there was a just god" ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Post Nye/Ham debate Facebook debate Colourcraze 14 413 08-02-2014 05:49 PM
Last Post: Colourcraze
  [FACEBOOK] Science and Religion Can Coexist? (LONG) KMFDM_Kid2000 7 531 28-12-2013 05:20 AM
Last Post: Chippy
  Facebook P.M.'s --> Theist With Daddy Issues Sticks Hand in Lion's Cage, Loses Arm KMFDM_Kid2000 6 634 13-07-2013 01:37 PM
Last Post: Dirtnapper324
  Facebook debate with close theist friend... Atheist_pilgrim 14 1,105 22-05-2013 08:25 PM
Last Post: PersephoneK
  Facebook: Bible=Jesus Hafnof 4 727 07-04-2013 02:56 AM
Last Post: DLJ
  Facebook with theists Red Celt 48 3,622 05-04-2013 11:50 AM
Last Post: Cardinal Smurf
  Gotta love those facebook comments Question 14 975 04-04-2013 12:40 PM
Last Post: CaffinatedPuppy