was this in the bible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2015, 11:23 AM
was this in the bible?
I was listening to a TTA podcast, the guest was the guy who ℅-wrote Bill & Ted's excellent adventure movie. He wrote a humor version of the Bible. Seth read a section of the first chapter (Genesis) on air.

He quickly mentioned something I had never heard before (I was raised in a secular home- so these crazy tidbits I learn crack me up). He was reading the part about God creating Adam & Eve and he mentioned there were other humans too but they were kept in cages. Blink

can someone explain the story. this is a new one to me.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2015, 11:30 AM
RE: was this in the bible?
Kept in cages? That's new. I don't see that anywhere.

You COULD make an argument, Biblically, that there were humans that preceded Adam and Eve, but it requires more than one logical leap. God creates human beings in Genesis 1, and in Genesis 2 he creates Adam and Eve. So what about the humans in Genesis 1? Where were they?

Traditional teaching holds that this is a redundancy: Genesis is referring to the same people in both chapters. But what if it's not? What if the humans in Genesis 1 actually preceded Adam and Eve?

Yes, I've heard this argued. It would explain where Cain's wife came from!

Of course it's silly. It's Genesis. None of that crap happened.

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
[+] 2 users Like TwoCultSurvivor's post
30-10-2015, 11:34 AM
I don't know, there are certain books in Jewish tradition that have more details about biblical myth than the ones in the Christian bible. Maybe Aliza would know........

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
30-10-2015, 11:34 AM
maybe that was what he was referring to? Consider

it was just sentence in the book he was reading on air, and they didn't discuss this part in any detail so it's hard to tell if the author of the humor book was making it part of his story or if he was referencing something from the bible.

30-10-2015, 11:45 AM
this podcast at 41:45

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...e-and-Hate

30-10-2015, 12:39 PM
(30-10-2015 11:34 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I don't know, there are certain books in Jewish tradition that have more details about biblical myth than the ones in the Christian bible. Maybe Aliza would know........

According to the Talmud, there were 974 generations that preceded Adam. The world was well populated by the time Adam and Chava ("Eve" in the Christian bible) hit the scene. The other people were not kept in cages Smile I've never heard one that before.
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
30-10-2015, 12:51 PM
Can't find it in there so it was probably just a joke. That's what it seems like to me.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
30-10-2015, 01:08 PM
I have never heard that or read it in the Bible or in any one of the commentaries I have.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
30-10-2015, 01:13 PM
I don't know about any Cages

But Genesis 4:13-16
13 Cain said to the Lord, “My punishment is more than I can bear. 14 Today you are driving me from the land, and I will be hidden from your presence; I will be a restless wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me.”

15 But the Lord said to him, “Not so[e]; anyone who kills Cain will suffer vengeance seven times over.” Then the Lord put a mark on Cain so that no one who found him would kill him. 16 So Cain went out from the Lord’s presence and lived in the land of Nod,[f] east of Eden.

Whoever finds me? Who the fuck is going to find him?

And is this God Covering for a murderer?

Oh shit Cain what did you do. Don't worry I got this. Get out of here. I'll clean this up. Just don't come back man.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
30-10-2015, 03:53 PM
This is really new to me. I have never heard of that one, nor have I ever heard of anything from the bible, new or old testies that mentions any humans before adam and eve.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ