wat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2017, 11:42 PM
RE: wat
(01-08-2017 11:34 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Some are pretty lame, I think, but at least they're drawings. That one of the sitting guy looks amazing.

I'm going with "Retard Sink" as the runner-up.

[Image: Y3T1h2S.jpg]

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2017, 04:47 AM
(01-08-2017 09:25 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  ... I feel like those actual talented people that entered got ripped off.

Exactly. Rubbish like this denigrates the entire purpose and point of art exhibitions and demeans the artists competing. In Aus we have an annual art competition called the Archibald Prize, which is awarded for "the best portrait, preferentially of some man or woman distinguished in Art, Letters, Science or Politics, painted by an artist resident in Australia" and is worth $100,000 to the winner. Below is an example of just three of this year's nominations, which were rejected by the Archibald committee as being inappropriate. I wonder why? Big Grin

[Image: 1501841946674.jpg] [Image: 1501841946674.jpg] [Image: 1501841946674.jpg]

There are also some other stipulations that the portrait must be of someone known personally to the artist, and be primarily a head and shoulders image, as per this traditional earlier winner by a "real" artist...

[Image: 1024px-George_Washington_Lambert_-_Mrs_A...urdoch.jpg]

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
05-08-2017, 05:21 AM
See, now this is an example of Snowflakism -- "the rules don't apply to me, because I'm unique."
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
05-08-2017, 05:51 AM
(01-08-2017 07:51 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Truly redefining the meaning of art, even though that has been done countless times before already.

I blame Marcel Duchamp.

Hobo
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
05-08-2017, 07:23 AM
(05-08-2017 05:51 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(01-08-2017 07:51 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Truly redefining the meaning of art, even though that has been done countless times before already.

I blame Marcel Duchamp.

Hobo

I don't actually care that much about it, it's just that "challenging the meaning of art" gets old after so many people have done it already. What exactly are you challenging if this is the norm across art institutions now?
[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
05-08-2017, 07:35 AM
(05-08-2017 07:23 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  I don't actually care that much about it, it's just that "challenging the meaning of art" gets old after so many people have done it already. What exactly are you challenging if this is the norm across art institutions now?

Yeah, I've thought that too. At what point do you realize, as an artist, that you have more than enough styles and media to choose from but nothing to say in any of them?
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
05-08-2017, 08:05 AM
(01-08-2017 09:25 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The annoying thing is, I need $20,000 dollars. $20,000 to me would be like a year and a half - two years of saving. And this lady just threw some cut up carpet in a pile and got $20,000... wat... in a fucking 'drawing' contest too. I'm sure there was legit extremely talented people that entered too with really good drawings but nope, this talentless bitch won... wat... I feel like those actual talented people that entered got ripped off.

Art is not what you like, art is what works. If it didn't work, nobody would pay for it.

I get what you are saying. I would never pay for say a Picasso. But it does not matter what you like, it matters what the viewer likes.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-08-2017, 08:59 AM
(05-08-2017 07:35 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(05-08-2017 07:23 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  I don't actually care that much about it, it's just that "challenging the meaning of art" gets old after so many people have done it already. What exactly are you challenging if this is the norm across art institutions now?

Yeah, I've thought that too. At what point do you realize, as an artist, that you have more than enough styles and media to choose from but nothing to say in any of them?

Laugh out load Feel the burn!
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post