weekly discussions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-09-2015, 09:24 AM
weekly discussions
My husband and I are closeted atheists. With a small child it is hard to attend meetup groups. I have decided once a week we are going to sit down and discuss something, anything atheism, science, religion etc. I think we are both going crazy. I want so badly to be on the front lines fighting with everyone else. Well this is just my rant. Anybody else stuck in the atheists closet? How are you dealing? We both have super religious families so that makes it worse.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes highlyclassified's post
28-09-2015, 09:34 AM (This post was last modified: 28-09-2015 10:10 AM by docskeptic.)
RE: weekly discussions
Welcome to the Closeted Atheists Club. I am a charter member. I also belong to a super religious family. I feel your pain. I deal with it by venting here.

Please post your discussions here if you think it appropriate.

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
28-09-2015, 10:32 AM
(28-09-2015 09:24 AM)highlyclassified Wrote:  I want so badly to be on the front lines fighting with everyone else.

You may have a somewhat unrealistic vision of atheism.

There are no "front lines". Things like this - dealing with family who would react poorly if they knew - is about as bad as it gets, really. There is no organized war against theists going on, because there is no church of atheism to rally the troops for any such endeavor.

That said, if it bothers the two of you so much, I would recommend either telling your family and getting it over with or just using places like this to blow off steam.

It's what we're here for.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
28-09-2015, 10:46 AM
(28-09-2015 10:32 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 09:24 AM)highlyclassified Wrote:  I want so badly to be on the front lines fighting with everyone else.

You may have a somewhat unrealistic vision of atheism.

There are no "front lines". Things like this - dealing with family who would react poorly if they knew - is about as bad as it gets, really. There is no organized war against theists going on, because there is no church of atheism to rally the troops for any such endeavor.

That said, if it bothers the two of you so much, I would recommend either telling your family and getting it over with or just using places like this to blow off steam.

It's what we're here for.

I guess I see things happening in the World and I want to be a part of the conventions and groups. We have so many reasons we can't come out I wont list them all.
28-09-2015, 10:48 AM
(28-09-2015 09:34 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Welcome to the Closeted Atheists Club. I am a charter member. I also belong to a super religious family. I feel your pain. I deal with it by venting here.

Please post your discussions here if you think it appropriate.

Doc

I did consider posting discussions here especially if it was something we couldn't agree on or couldn't find an answer too. Thanks
28-09-2015, 10:55 AM
(28-09-2015 10:32 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  ...
There are no "front lines".
There is no organized war against theists going on,

Yup. That's the ticket.

The fewer people who know about it the better.

Shhhhhhhhh!

@highlyclassified

We used to have a Skye group for this kinda thing... not for activism, just for discussion and ranting / venting.

You can start it up again if you like.

Set a date and time and see who is available.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
28-09-2015, 11:04 AM
As has been said, vent on here, share your discussions where appropriate, use some of the topics discussed on here to discuss with your family, etc.

I was a closeted atheist when I joined this forum, but not anymore. When I first left the faith, I too had good reason to not come out, financial instability, loss of family/friends, etc. I also thought atheism was extremely rare. But as I talked to people on here, I began to realize that I wasn't alone as I thought. I found that we are everywhere, even in extremely religious areas, there are a plethora of atheists. I hope that someday you'll be able to shake off the restrictions that are keeping you silent and live life as you are. That said, don't let anyone pressure you into coming out. There are those who feel that staying in the closet is merely cowardice, but I know that it is sometimes for survival. Literally.

I love your idea for your family. Depending on the age/interests of your family, there is plenty of science items that you could discuss and keep yourselves busy and in awe of the universe for the foreseeable future. Hell, just discussing things that are in goodwithoutgod's resource thread will give you tons to talk about. Thumbsup

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
28-09-2015, 11:14 AM
(28-09-2015 11:04 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  As has been said, vent on here, share your discussions where appropriate, use some of the topics discussed on here to discuss with your family, etc.

I was a closeted atheist when I joined this forum, but not anymore. When I first left the faith, I too had good reason to not come out, financial instability, loss of family/friends, etc. I also thought atheism was extremely rare. But as I talked to people on here, I began to realize that I wasn't alone as I thought. I found that we are everywhere, even in extremely religious areas, there are a plethora of atheists. I hope that someday you'll be able to shake off the restrictions that are keeping you silent and live life as you are. That said, don't let anyone pressure you into coming out. There are those who feel that staying in the closet is merely cowardice, but I know that it is sometimes for survival. Literally.

I love your idea for your family. Depending on the age/interests of your family, there is plenty of science items that you could discuss and keep yourselves busy and in awe of the universe for the foreseeable future. Hell, just discussing things that are in goodwithoutgod's resource thread will give you tons to talk about. Thumbsup

Yes our list of reasons to not come out are far to many to even consider it at this point. Any resources you can give is appreciated. I have all these topics that I listed out for myself to discuss but I need information to back those up. Like if I wanted articles on specific topics where could I go to find those. A google search comes up with a definition but I want more. I will look at the one you mentioned above thanks. I have taken to reading every atheists book I can find. I have watched every episode of the atheists experience. I am subscribed to any atheists youtuber I can find. I can't seem to get enough of the information.
28-09-2015, 11:25 AM
(28-09-2015 11:14 AM)highlyclassified Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 11:04 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  As has been said, vent on here, share your discussions where appropriate, use some of the topics discussed on here to discuss with your family, etc.

Yes our list of reasons to not come out are far to many to even consider it at this point. Any resources you can give is appreciated. I have all these topics that I listed out for myself to discuss but I need information to back those up. Like if I wanted articles on specific topics where could I go to find those. A google search comes up with a definition but I want more. I will look at the one you mentioned above thanks. I have taken to reading every atheists book I can find. I have watched every episode of the atheists experience. I am subscribed to any atheists youtuber I can find. I can't seem to get enough of the information.

I hear you. Every time I devour one source of new information, I'm just hungrier for more. This place is an excellent resource for things like that. Hell, just lurk in some of the debate threads and you'll pick up a lot. From knowledge references to argument tactics, the atheists who actually debate theists on here can back up their claims with studies, data, etc. Occasionally, we even get intelligent theists on here that offer good discussion, but most just assert what they wish to be true and then call us intolerant for asking for evidence. Laugh out load

What kind of science are you most interested in discussing with your family? I, or someone else, can definitely recommend some good books to learn from. Also, on that topic, what's your current level of scientific literacy? That will affect the recommendations greatly. I don't want to recommend some heavy quantum physics book if you still think "quantum" has something to do with leaping. Laugh out load

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
28-09-2015, 11:37 AM
(28-09-2015 11:25 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 11:14 AM)highlyclassified Wrote:  Yes our list of reasons to not come out are far to many to even consider it at this point. Any resources you can give is appreciated. I have all these topics that I listed out for myself to discuss but I need information to back those up. Like if I wanted articles on specific topics where could I go to find those. A google search comes up with a definition but I want more. I will look at the one you mentioned above thanks. I have taken to reading every atheists book I can find. I have watched every episode of the atheists experience. I am subscribed to any atheists youtuber I can find. I can't seem to get enough of the information.

I hear you. Every time I devour one source of new information, I'm just hungrier for more. This place is an excellent resource for things like that. Hell, just lurk in some of the debate threads and you'll pick up a lot. From knowledge references to argument tactics, the atheists who actually debate theists on here can back up their claims with studies, data, etc. Occasionally, we even get intelligent theists on here that offer good discussion, but most just assert what they wish to be true and then call us intolerant for asking for evidence. Laugh out load

What kind of science are you most interested in discussing with your family? I, or someone else, can definitely recommend some good books to learn from. Also, on that topic, what's your current level of scientific literacy? That will affect the recommendations greatly. I don't want to recommend some heavy quantum physics book if you still think "quantum" has something to do with leaping. Laugh out load

I have a college degree but nothing related to science. I guess my main focus right now is evolution. I am currently reading Why Evolution is True, The Blind Watchmaker, I sold my soul on ebay, and Why God is not great. I know those aren't all about science but its what I have right now on hand. In the past I read The God Delusion, End of Faith, Misquoting Jesus, Deconverted, Undeniable, and letter to a christian nation.