weekly discussions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-09-2015, 11:40 AM
RE: weekly discussions
(28-09-2015 09:24 AM)highlyclassified Wrote:  My husband and I are closeted atheists. With a small child it is hard to attend meetup groups. I have decided once a week we are going to sit down and discuss something, anything atheism, science, religion etc. I think we are both going crazy. I want so badly to be on the front lines fighting with everyone else. Well this is just my rant. Anybody else stuck in the atheists closet? How are you dealing? We both have super religious families so that makes it worse.
What do you think will happen if you tell them the truth about your views?
are they that horrible people that they will reject you and won't love you anymore?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-09-2015, 11:43 AM (This post was last modified: 28-09-2015 11:50 AM by Timber1025.)
(28-09-2015 11:04 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  That said, don't let anyone pressure you into coming out. There are those who feel that staying in the closet is merely cowardice, but I know that it is sometimes for survival. Literally.

Unless you are in fear of being stoned to death for admitting the loss of faith, I don't see a reason to let anyone else dictate who you should be. If others cannot accept you for who you are, then that is their problem. Wouldn't you raise your kids with the mindset to be themselves and don't let others tell them how to feel, think and learn. So why would adults not live by this creed?

Not meaning to be callous here, but it is a crime to not be yourselves, based on fear of others opinions, IMO. Good luck with your journey forward and keep those science discussions flowing.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
28-09-2015, 11:47 AM
welcome!!

I would suggest just to post a question and you will get answers on that topic. This board is global, and members come from every walk of life.

Also check google for meetup groups, or facebook, look for humanist groups, skeptical groups, freethinkers, as well as atheist or agnostic groups.

I live in the bible belt but the group in our area is growing rapidly and have a wide variety of member get togethers from coffee gatherings, charity work days, bar nights, hiking and park days with children.

Also you might find some like minded individuals at a UU church.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
28-09-2015, 11:49 AM
I forgot to add, one of my favorites is author Dale MGowan-- Raising actual freethinkers.

28-09-2015, 11:50 AM
(28-09-2015 11:43 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 11:04 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  That said, don't let anyone pressure you into coming out. There are those who feel that staying in the closet is merely cowardice, but I know that it is sometimes for survival. Literally.

Unless you are in fear of being stoned to death for admitting the loss of faith, I don't see a reason to let anyone else dictate who you should be. If others cannot accept you for who you are, then that is their problem. Wouldn't you raise your kids with the mindset to be themselves and don't let others tell them how to feel, think and learn. So why would adults not live by this creed?

Not meaning to be callous here, but it is a crime to not be yourselves, based on fear oo others opinions, IMO. Good luck with your journey forward and keep those science discussions flowing.

Its more than just coming out to family. My husbands job could be at stake if they find out.
[+] 1 user Likes highlyclassified's post
28-09-2015, 11:51 AM
(28-09-2015 11:40 AM)Alla Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 09:24 AM)highlyclassified Wrote:  My husband and I are closeted atheists. With a small child it is hard to attend meetup groups. I have decided once a week we are going to sit down and discuss something, anything atheism, science, religion etc. I think we are both going crazy. I want so badly to be on the front lines fighting with everyone else. Well this is just my rant. Anybody else stuck in the atheists closet? How are you dealing? We both have super religious families so that makes it worse.
What do you think will happen if you tell them the truth about your views?
are they that horrible people that they will reject you and won't love you anymore?

It would cause so much chaotic nightmares that I am not willing to do it at this point. Plus we can't risk my husbands job
28-09-2015, 11:53 AM
(28-09-2015 11:47 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  welcome!!

I would suggest just to post a question and you will get answers on that topic. This board is global, and members come from every walk of life.

Also check google for meetup groups, or facebook, look for humanist groups, skeptical groups, freethinkers, as well as atheist or agnostic groups.

I live in the bible belt but the group in our area is growing rapidly and have a wide variety of member get togethers from coffee gatherings, charity work days, bar nights, hiking and park days with children.

Also you might find some like minded individuals at a UU church.

The meetup groups are about an hour away from us so getting there is almost impossible. We have a small child and not a lot of money so we can't afford to pay a babysitter then drive an hour for a meeting.
28-09-2015, 11:54 AM
(28-09-2015 11:50 AM)highlyclassified Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 11:43 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Unless you are in fear of being stoned to death for admitting the loss of faith, I don't see a reason to let anyone else dictate who you should be. If others cannot accept you for who you are, then that is their problem. Wouldn't you raise your kids with the mindset to be themselves and don't let others tell them how to feel, think and learn. So why would adults not live by this creed?

Not meaning to be callous here, but it is a crime to not be yourselves, based on fear oo others opinions, IMO. Good luck with your journey forward and keep those science discussions flowing.

Its more than just coming out to family. My husbands job could be at stake if they find out.

I guess that is a tough situation. I assume he works for a religious organization since I don't know of any other job where spiritual beliefs could warrant termination.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
28-09-2015, 11:58 AM
I think its hard for some people who don't live in highly religious areas to understand how much power religion can have. People don't live in vaccuums, we live in communities and when one is not like the others it can cause conflict in a variety of ways.

A former employer would bring up the civial war every.single.day because I was a "yankee" and apparently he was a sore loser.

you now found a home to socialize, vent, and to learn.

[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
28-09-2015, 11:59 AM
(28-09-2015 11:54 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 11:50 AM)highlyclassified Wrote:  Its more than just coming out to family. My husbands job could be at stake if they find out.

I guess that is a tough situation. I assume he works for a religious organization since I don't know of any other job where spiritual beliefs could warrant termination.

I invite you to SC, the home of bigotry in many forms.