weekly discussions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-09-2015, 12:01 PM
RE: weekly discussions
(28-09-2015 11:50 AM)highlyclassified Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 11:43 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Unless you are in fear of being stoned to death for admitting the loss of faith, I don't see a reason to let anyone else dictate who you should be. If others cannot accept you for who you are, then that is their problem. Wouldn't you raise your kids with the mindset to be themselves and don't let others tell them how to feel, think and learn. So why would adults not live by this creed?

Not meaning to be callous here, but it is a crime to not be yourselves, based on fear oo others opinions, IMO. Good luck with your journey forward and keep those science discussions flowing.

Its more than just coming out to family. My husbands job could be at stake if they find out.

Like I said... People will try to shame you into coming out on here. Ignore them. I don't know everyone's story, but I do know my own, and I know that I would have been put in a horrible financial position had I come out as soon as I realized I am an atheist. Delaying coming out until I could afford to do so was the prudent choice. I am much much happier no longer living a lie, but had I followed the advice of people like Timber, I'd have been homeless and jobless. Living a lie for a few years was more than worth it to keep myself off the street. Don't feel you need to justify your decisions to those who don't know your circumstance.

Back on topic. The books you listed are great! If you are interested in Cosmology, I'd recommend "A Universe From Nothing" by Lawrence Krauss. It's got some advanced concepts in there, but is very well explained. There were several times while reading that book that I was literally awestruck and had to talk to someone about it.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
28-09-2015, 12:09 PM
(28-09-2015 11:51 AM)highlyclassified Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 11:40 AM)Alla Wrote:  What do you think will happen if you tell them the truth about your views?
are they that horrible people that they will reject you and won't love you anymore?
It would cause so much chaotic nightmares that I am not willing to do it at this point. Plus we can't risk my husbands job
I am so sorry. I hope everything will work out eventually. Smile
May be they are better than you think?
You accept them, hopefully they will accept you as an atheist.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
28-09-2015, 12:09 PM
(28-09-2015 12:01 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 11:50 AM)highlyclassified Wrote:  Its more than just coming out to family. My husbands job could be at stake if they find out.

Like I said... People will try to shame you into coming out on here. Ignore them. I don't know everyone's story, but I do know my own, and I know that I would have been put in a horrible financial position had I come out as soon as I realized I am an atheist. Delaying coming out until I could afford to do so was the prudent choice. I am much much happier no longer living a lie, but had I followed the advice of people like Timber, I'd have been homeless and jobless. Living a lie for a few years was more than worth it to keep myself off the street. Don't feel you need to justify your decisions to those who don't know your circumstance.

Back on topic. The books you listed are great! If you are interested in Cosmology, I'd recommend "A Universe From Nothing" by Lawrence Krauss. It's got some advanced concepts in there, but is very well explained. There were several times while reading that book that I was literally awestruck and had to talk to someone about it.

I am always extremely careful online to not give away any info that would risk my husbands job. I also don't link anything back to my facebook, because that is completely full of family and friends. I have Lawrence Krauss on my audible reading list, but I was almost afraid to choose it because I know its going to be intense. Honestly also the Evolution topic is so massive and complex I figured one complex science topic at a time. Sold My Soul On Ebay and God is not great are my I need to chill from the scientific books. I just realized how silly it sounds that I think evolution is a complex and heavy topic. Coming from a background where I had literally never heard of the subject this is all completely new information. I had never heard the term atheists until I was 26. Well if atheism was referenced it was in these vague sentences without actually using the term. It was more of those evil people who have fallen away from god better accept Jesus or go to hell. Anyway that was way off my original thought
[+] 2 users Like highlyclassified's post
28-09-2015, 12:14 PM
there is also a member map, some of us have posted our locations (atleast the nearest city), maybe someone is nearby.

I think there are some threads for resources that list all sorts of stuff.

And there are a handful of members that could provide bucketfulls of info.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
28-09-2015, 12:25 PM
(28-09-2015 12:09 PM)highlyclassified Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 12:01 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Like I said... People will try to shame you into coming out on here. Ignore them. I don't know everyone's story, but I do know my own, and I know that I would have been put in a horrible financial position had I come out as soon as I realized I am an atheist. Delaying coming out until I could afford to do so was the prudent choice. I am much much happier no longer living a lie, but had I followed the advice of people like Timber, I'd have been homeless and jobless. Living a lie for a few years was more than worth it to keep myself off the street. Don't feel you need to justify your decisions to those who don't know your circumstance.

I am always extremely careful online to not give away any info that would risk my husbands job. I also don't link anything back to my facebook, because that is completely full of family and friends. I have Lawrence Krauss on my audible reading list, but I was almost afraid to choose it because I know its going to be intense. Honestly also the Evolution topic is so massive and complex I figured one complex science topic at a time. Sold My Soul On Ebay and God is not great are my I need to chill from the scientific books. I just realized how silly it sounds that I think evolution is a complex and heavy topic. Coming from a background where I had literally never heard of the subject this is all completely new information. I had never heard the term atheists until I was 26. Well if atheism was referenced it was in these vague sentences without actually using the term. It was more of those evil people who have fallen away from god better accept Jesus or go to hell. Anyway that was way off my original thought

Evolution IS a complex and heavy topic. In it's simplest terms, it's very straightforward... Living things change over time... Simple.

When you start getting into genetics, reproductive strategy, types of influence, etc it gets real heavy real quick. And there is nothing more complex than life. Thumbsup

I don't blame you for wanting to keep to one topic at a time, I'm just in a cosmology/astrophysics kick right now.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
28-09-2015, 12:44 PM
(28-09-2015 12:25 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 12:09 PM)highlyclassified Wrote:  I am always extremely careful online to not give away any info that would risk my husbands job. I also don't link anything back to my facebook, because that is completely full of family and friends. I have Lawrence Krauss on my audible reading list, but I was almost afraid to choose it because I know its going to be intense. Honestly also the Evolution topic is so massive and complex I figured one complex science topic at a time. Sold My Soul On Ebay and God is not great are my I need to chill from the scientific books. I just realized how silly it sounds that I think evolution is a complex and heavy topic. Coming from a background where I had literally never heard of the subject this is all completely new information. I had never heard the term atheists until I was 26. Well if atheism was referenced it was in these vague sentences without actually using the term. It was more of those evil people who have fallen away from god better accept Jesus or go to hell. Anyway that was way off my original thought

Evolution IS a complex and heavy topic. In it's simplest terms, it's very straightforward... Living things change over time... Simple.

When you start getting into genetics, reproductive strategy, types of influence, etc it gets real heavy real quick. And there is nothing more complex than life. Thumbsup

I don't blame you for wanting to keep to one topic at a time, I'm just in a cosmology/astrophysics kick right now.

I have just barely scratched the surface as to what Evolution is much less anything like genetics. I just find it absolutely fascinating. Every time I watch cosmos or read about evolution I wonder how in the World can people hear/see this and think GOD DID IT!
[+] 2 users Like highlyclassified's post
28-09-2015, 01:11 PM
(28-09-2015 12:44 PM)highlyclassified Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 12:25 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Evolution IS a complex and heavy topic. In it's simplest terms, it's very straightforward... Living things change over time... Simple.

I have just barely scratched the surface as to what Evolution is much less anything like genetics. I just find it absolutely fascinating. Every time I watch cosmos or read about evolution I wonder how in the World can people hear/see this and think GOD DID IT!

Willful ignorance. Plain and simple.

We live in the 21st century, where the combined knowledge of all of humanity is available at the click of a mouse. Where great places of learning like MIT offer all of their classes for free if all you want to do is learn the subject matter. Where being ignorant is a choice.

It's willful ignorance, and it makes me sick.

28-09-2015, 01:21 PM
(28-09-2015 01:11 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 12:44 PM)highlyclassified Wrote:  I have just barely scratched the surface as to what Evolution is much less anything like genetics. I just find it absolutely fascinating. Every time I watch cosmos or read about evolution I wonder how in the World can people hear/see this and think GOD DID IT!

Willful ignorance. Plain and simple.

We live in the 21st century, where the combined knowledge of all of humanity is available at the click of a mouse. Where great places of learning like MIT offer all of their classes for free if all you want to do is learn the subject matter. Where being ignorant is a choice.

It's willful ignorance, and it makes me sick.

I understand they do it on purpose to an extent, but I didn't know this information for 26 years. Society/Schools/Parents aren't teaching it (at least where I live) so can we blame people for not understanding something like Evolution. The internet is a fairly new concept and I still know people here who its simply for Facebook and nothing more. At least in my experience with Christianity you are taught to be dumb. You are taught not to question. You are taught no responsibility. Here learning something new almost makes you arrogant. Like who do you think you are? You aren't better than us. In the words of my dear sweet grandmother "You got to big for your britches young lady" On the other hand I know extremely intelligent people who believe the Earth is 6000 years old, a snake tricked a woman into eating a magic apple, and the World is going to end any day because GOD said so in a 2000 year old book.
28-09-2015, 01:50 PM
Not really "shaming' anyone as I was accused here, but only giving encouragement and respect. Living a lie, living in the closet/shadows is no way to carry on in 2015. If the people you work with, or if the community you live in is that bigoted and judgmental, then time for a new job and new location. Do what needs to be done in the short term, but that is not the goal I would embrace for a long term situation.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
28-09-2015, 02:03 PM
Welcome to the group, if you have any questions, please let me know, I dabble now and then in anti-theology Big Grin

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post