weird school bus question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2017, 09:09 AM
RE: weird school bus question
(12-08-2017 04:08 AM)ImFred Wrote:  That's ridiculous that a person lost their job because your son got off at the wrong stop. In fact, that whole situation sounds insanely paranoid.

We unfortunately live in a world where sometimes insane paranoia is justified. Who's responsible if something happens to the kid that gets off at the wrong stop?

It's a bit crazy that someone lost their job over it, but I sort of get it. You see stories all too often about a kid who left to go ... wherever ... and is never heard from again. It happens all too often.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2017, 09:42 AM
(12-08-2017 09:09 AM)BnW Wrote:  
(12-08-2017 04:08 AM)ImFred Wrote:  That's ridiculous that a person lost their job because your son got off at the wrong stop. In fact, that whole situation sounds insanely paranoid.

We unfortunately live in a world where sometimes insane paranoia is justified. Who's responsible if something happens to the kid that gets off at the wrong stop?

It's a bit crazy that someone lost their job over it, but I sort of get it. You see stories all too often about a kid who left to go ... wherever ... and is never heard from again. It happens all too often.

I was so freaking lucky to have been born into a time when kids had to be home by dark and that was the rule for all. No one went straight home after school. We played and let off steam. We took public transportation to public swimming pools, parks, and the big library. Alone. There were no cell phones, parents could not reach us, nor could we reach them. Nothing bad ever happened to anyone.

In that respect at least, those were the good old times. I can't even imagine growing up under 24/7 surveillance. I don't know how these kids even learn what freedom means...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
12-08-2017, 09:48 AM

I agree, except it's not paranoia if people are really out to find any old reason to sue, and frankly the school & company just want to cover their own ass, that's our world now, we've entered a new ass-age.

Just for the record I didn't threaten the company or demand the driver get fired, I just called the company to find the driver and find out where my son was. Maybe they had other issues with the driver and this was just the last straw?

I've got a dozen stupid ass things that the school system does that I think is bad for our kids and I sometimes have to "de-program" some of the shit they're taught in school... over & above the catholic BS.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
12-08-2017, 10:14 AM
Life has risks.
12-08-2017, 10:21 AM
(12-08-2017 09:42 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(12-08-2017 09:09 AM)BnW Wrote:  We unfortunately live in a world where sometimes insane paranoia is justified. Who's responsible if something happens to the kid that gets off at the wrong stop?

I was so freaking lucky to have been born into a time when kids had to be home by dark and that was the rule for all. No one went straight home after school. We played and let off steam. We took public transportation to public swimming pools, parks, and the big library. Alone. There were no cell phones, parents could not reach us, nor could we reach them. Nothing bad ever happened to anyone.

In that respect at least, those were the good old times. I can't even imagine growing up under 24/7 surveillance. I don't know how these kids even learn what freedom means...

Same here growing up in the 70's. And crime rates were crazy back then.

Kids are over structured these days. You learn a lot of important shit when the adults aren't watching. I don't know how these kids stand it.
12-08-2017, 10:54 AM
(10-08-2017 07:59 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Today at the middle school I work at the busses didn't leave the school until 90 minutes after the final dismissal. I think there's about 15 busses. About 11 were on time and then the final four slowly made their way in. The weird thing was the busses that were on time didn't go ahead and leave. Instead, they had all the students wait until all the busses arrived. Why wouldn't the busses that were there go ahead and go? It's not just a bitch about work thread. I honestly can't think of any reason. If you know or even have a guess let me know.
Buses tend to travel in convoys because that way they lose fewer to enemy submarines or frigates.

Probably.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

[+] 3 users Like Norm Deplume's post
12-08-2017, 10:54 AM
Double post deleted.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

12-08-2017, 11:02 AM
(10-08-2017 08:44 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Oh the school district is definitely run by idiots, they hired me.

Big Grin

(10-08-2017 08:44 PM)ImFred Wrote:  But yeah they sent out a message. I think I get you. They send out a message and it can't be specific to the students who are late so they hold everyone so like if a kid is on a punctual bus but for some reason doesn't make it home they don't want a parent to have the misconception that it's all good for two hours. Or if they think oh my kids a couple hours late they might delay coming home themselves.

Simpler than that, I think. They have a system for broadcasting messages to all of the parents but no system for sending specific ones or even identifying which kids are gonna to be late. Kids would've been home before they figured out which parents to single out to send messages to.

#sigh
12-08-2017, 11:07 AM
(12-08-2017 10:54 AM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  
(10-08-2017 07:59 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Today at the middle school I work at the busses didn't leave the school until 90 minutes after the final dismissal. I think there's about 15 busses. About 11 were on time and then the final four slowly made their way in. The weird thing was the busses that were on time didn't go ahead and leave. Instead, they had all the students wait until all the busses arrived. Why wouldn't the busses that were there go ahead and go? It's not just a bitch about work thread. I honestly can't think of any reason. If you know or even have a guess let me know.
Buses tend to travel in convoys because that way they lose fewer to enemy submarines or frigates.

Probably.

...or the roving gangs of priests.... Tongue

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
12-08-2017, 11:11 AM
(12-08-2017 09:42 AM)Dom Wrote:  I was so freaking lucky to have been born into a time when kids had to be home by dark and that was the rule for all. No one went straight home after school. We played and let off steam. We took public transportation to public swimming pools, parks, and the big library. Alone. There were no cell phones, parents could not reach us, nor could we reach them. Nothing bad ever happened to anyone.

Thinking back on my childhood, I never really know whether to think it was great, or whether I was incredibly lucky to have made it out alive. When I was about 8-9 years old, I was not allowed to go to the park about 2 blocks from the house, even with other kids, because The Adults thought it was dangerous for some kid-unfathomable reason they never explained, even though it was open and easily visible from several houses. The library, on the other hand, was an Adult-approved place to go, so I knew it had to be safe. The library, which the town was raising the money to move to a new site, was still on the top floor of an old city building just off the town square - surrounded by old, abandoned buildings and a parking lot usually inhabited by drunks, druggies, and other persons who alternated living in a jail cell and one of the abandoned buildings. The library was about a mile and a half from my house by the shortest route - which was across a 4-lane highway with no stoplights or crosswalks. Of course, there was a longer route that had sidewalks and stop lights, but no one ever told us we had to go that way. Facepalm

And my "favorite" memory of school buses: A heavy fall of ice followed by snow while we were at school. For those of us who regularly rode the bus, The Adults declared that we could only go home on a bus unless our parents came to pick us up. My dad was out on a job and my mom didn't drive. The school buses were mostly all stuck, so it was almost dark by the time one was available to pick us up. We got one block, yes one block from the school before the bus slid off the road and tipped over on its side. Fortunately, it fell over slowly enough for us to hold on to something, the snow cushioned it, and we were able to unlock the back emergency door to get out. No cell phones, and the last we saw of the driver he was searching for what looked like a whiskey bottle in a paper bag that had slid from under the driver's seat when the bus tipped over. No idea whether it broke. About 20 kids just shrugged and felt irritated that we waited more than 3 hours for a bus that only got us a block. We all just headed home in the gathering dark, dropping off kids at their houses as we went. As far as I ever knew, no one ever sued the school, and the driver was still driving in the spring. No one noticed that I walked to my house with no bus anywhere in evidence, and I never bothered to tell The Adults what happened. What would be the point? Big Grin

One thing that rather bothers me about parents/kids in the current age: In a way, I kinda see why parents don't want their kids out in potentially unsafe places, even with cell phones. So it is easier for kids to just stay in with video games or on chat sites, or talking on the phone with friends. With the kids in their rooms at home, the parents see them as safe, discounting all of the potential hazards kids face on the internet.
[+] 2 users Like Rockblossom's post