what do people have with the word heart

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2012, 11:42 AM
what do people have with the word heart
I dont understand what people mean with that always heart this heart that its just a organic bloodpump nothing more nothing less. Its annoying when you listen to the radio and another heart song and an other heart song WHY.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2012, 11:56 AM
RE: what do people have with the word heart
I think it could be interpreted to mean the "center of your being" (which is hard to convey, because technically it's your mind), or your emotions. It's basically just a part of your mind ultimately. Your physical heart doesn't have anything to do with your emotions or mind. Everything happens in your brain. But when someone is emotionally in pain to the core of their being, they might use the words "heart ache" to describe it.

I don't this word is cause to be annoyed. Maybe if it's used in the context of the soul, then sure... as far as we know there's no such thing as a soul- or your own personality that exists beyond the physical you. But you might hear the phrase "heart, mind, and soul". I interpret that as "emotions, thoughts, and non-existent eternal soul".

Maybe others interpret it differently? But it doesn't have to be something that is bothersome and it doesn't have to be a religious term.

I don't personally separate the mind and emotions- it's all the same thing to me. Just different parts, actions, or attributes of the same thing- the function of the brain.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
22-05-2012, 12:12 PM
It's a symbol. Heart

A somewhat accepted symbol, often connected to emotion -mostly love.

The Roman physician Galen located the seat of the passions in the liver, the seat of reason in the brain, and considered the heart to be the seat of the emotions. While Galen's identification of the heart with emotion were proposed as a part of his theory of the circulatory system, the heart has continued to be used as a symbolic source of human emotions even after the rejection of such beliefs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_(symbol) <---here's some trivial information with pretty pictures and some cute mathematics.

[Image: Heart3D.png]

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
22-05-2012, 12:19 PM
I heart this thread. Laughat

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
[+] 4 users Like k37713's post
22-05-2012, 12:42 PM
(22-05-2012 11:56 AM)kineo Wrote:  I think it could be interpreted to mean the "center of your being" (which is hard to convey, because technically it's your mind), or your emotions. It's basically just a part of your mind ultimately. Your physical heart doesn't have anything to do with your emotions or mind. Everything happens in your brain. But when someone is emotionally in pain to the core of their being, they might use the words "heart ache" to describe it.

I don't this word is cause to be annoyed. Maybe if it's used in the context of the soul, then sure... as far as we know there's no such thing as a soul- or your own personality that exists beyond the physical you. But you might hear the phrase "heart, mind, and soul". I interpret that as "emotions, thoughts, and non-existent eternal soul".

Maybe others interpret it differently? But it doesn't have to be something that is bothersome and it doesn't have to be a religious term.

I don't personally separate the mind and emotions- it's all the same thing to me. Just different parts, actions, or attributes of the same thing- the function of the brain.
That was my favorite part because it was like you were gonna come up with some normal parallel but then just gave up. What could soul be in real life terms? Happy face... ninja stars... ahh fuck it, non existent eternal soul.
I guffawed, but only in my head.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like lucradis's post
22-05-2012, 12:55 PM
(22-05-2012 12:42 PM)lucradis Wrote:  
(22-05-2012 11:56 AM)kineo Wrote:  I think it could be interpreted to mean the "center of your being" (which is hard to convey, because technically it's your mind), or your emotions. It's basically just a part of your mind ultimately. Your physical heart doesn't have anything to do with your emotions or mind. Everything happens in your brain. But when someone is emotionally in pain to the core of their being, they might use the words "heart ache" to describe it.

That was my favorite part because it was like you were gonna come up with some normal parallel but then just gave up. What could soul be in real life terms? Happy face... ninja stars... ahh fuck it, non existent eternal soul.

Haha, there's no alternative way to interpret that one. Big Grin

22-05-2012, 01:32 PM
(22-05-2012 12:55 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(22-05-2012 12:42 PM)lucradis Wrote:  What could soul be in real life terms? Happy face... ninja stars... ahh fuck it, non existent eternal soul.
Haha, there's no alternative way to interpret that one. Big Grin
Inherently of course, symbols mean nothing. Meaning is always relative. The only meaning a symbol carries is whatever meaning one/many attaches to it.

However, iconography(big word for symbols and study of them) can be very specific and precise. And when the introduction of a symbol is precisely orchestrated to a specifically primed group, it's extremely powerful. Because of this symbolic power, people give valentines to lovers, do/don't like to burn flags, and worship shit very contrary to the good of humanity. Cross, anyone? Swastika, perhaps?

Hmm. Consider I suppose it would be way too ironic for an atheist to come up with a new symbol for the soul.

Maybe a little smiley with a sheet over it's head with eye holes? Something cute and non existent. Angel

I think the symbol for your soul is quite apparent, Lucradis. Damn. Wish there was an evil clown smiley! Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
22-05-2012, 02:18 PM (This post was last modified: 22-05-2012 02:26 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(22-05-2012 12:42 PM)lucradis Wrote:  non-existent eternal soul

http://www.british-israel.ca/immortalsoul.htm

It's an Ancient Egyptian notion, (the "ba" and the "ka", .... the Egyptians had TWO souls), passed to the Greeks, in turn passed to the Romans, who used it to scare the populace, and keep them in line, and added it to the Babylonian idea that it could go to a "lower area", (the doctrine of the "terrible torments"), which later, christianity adopted.

Not a biblical thingy, at all.

Plato : "The soul of man is immortal and imperishable."

Jewish scholars:

"The belief that the soul continues its existence after the dissolution of the body is...nowhere expressly taught in Holy Scripture...The belief in the immortality of the soul came to the Jews from contact with Greek thought and chiefly through the philosophy of Plato its principle exponent, who was led to it through Orphic and Eleusinian mysteries in which Babylonian and Egyptian views were strangely blended" (The Jewish Encyclopedia, article, "Immortality of the Soul").

Origen, Tertullian and Augustine were Platonists.

Tertullian (A.D. 155-220) : "For some things are known even by nature: the immortality of the soul, the instance, is held by many ... I may use, therefore, the opinion of Plato, when he declares: 'Every soul is immortal'"

It is a "pagan" concept, grafted onto the "new cult", just as Saul of Tarsis grafted "salvation" also onto it. It exists NOWHERE in the Old Testament.

Martin Luther : "It is probable, in my opinion, that, with very few exceptions, indeed, the dead sleep in utter insensibility till the day of judgment .... On what authority can it be said that the souls of the dead may not sleep ... in the same way that the living pass in profound slumber the interval between their downlying at night and their uprising in the morning?"

In Genesis the god formed Adam of the mud, not of "spirit", and Adam "became" a living soul. It's what he WAS, not what he "had".

"Nephesh, in general, designates that which has temporary physical life. It means a creature whose life source comes through breathing. This is the same word used frequently in the first chapter of Genesis and elsewhere in reference to animals."

In the bible, even "beasts" are "souls", and "the word nephesh is even used with reference to a dead body".

"The soul is not a separate entity from the body. It is the body".

Ezekiel 18:4 "The soul that sinneth, it shall die."

I Timothy 1:17 "Jesus Christ 'ONLY hath immortality".

"For dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return," Gen. 3:19.

"The dead know not any thing," Eccl. 9:5, 10.

In the day of a man's death, "his thoughts perish" Ps. 146:4.

I await the drone strike.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
22-05-2012, 02:22 PM
How did I get roped into this?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-05-2012, 02:29 PM
(22-05-2012 02:18 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(22-05-2012 12:42 PM)lucradis Wrote:  non-existent eternal soul

http://www.british-israel.ca/immortalsoul.htm

It's an Ancient Egyptian notion, (the "ba" and the "ka", .... the Egyptians had TWO souls), passed to the Greeks, in turn passed to the Romans, who used it to scare the populace, and keep them in line, and added it to the Babylonian idea that it could go to a "lower area", (the doctrine of the "terrible torments"), which later, christianity adopted.

Not a biblical thingy, at all.

Plato : "The soul of man is immortal and imperishable."

Jewish scholars:

"The belief that the soul continues its existence after the dissolution of the body is...nowhere expressly taught in Holy Scripture...The belief in the immortality of the soul came to the Jews from contact with Greek thought and chiefly through the philosophy of Plato its principle exponent, who was led to it through Orphic and Eleusinian mysteries in which Babylonian and Egyptian views were strangely blended" (The Jewish Encyclopedia, article, "Immortality of the Soul").

Origen, Tertullian and Augustine were Platonists.

Tertullian (A.D. 155-220) : "For some things are known even by nature: the immortality of the soul, the instance, is held by many ... I may use, therefore, the opinion of Plato, when he declares: 'Every soul is immortal'"

It is a "pagan" concept, grafted onto the "new cult", just as Saul of Tarsis grafted "salvation" also onto it. It exists NOWHERE in the Old Testament.

Martin Luther : "It is probable, in my opinion, that, with very few exceptions, indeed, the dead sleep in utter insensibility till the day of judgment .... On what authority can it be said that the souls of the dead may not sleep ... in the same way that the living pass in profound slumber the interval between their downlying at night and their uprising in the morning?"

In Genesis the god formed Adam of the mud, not of "spirit", and Adam "became" a living soul. It's what he WAS, not what he "had".

"Nephesh, in general, designates that which has temporary physical life. It means a creature whose life source comes through breathing. This is the same word used frequently in the first chapter of Genesis and elsewhere in reference to animals."

In the bible, even "beasts" are "souls", and "the word nephesh is even used with reference to a dead body".

"The soul is not a separate entity from the body. It is the body".

Ezekiel 18:4 "The soul that sinneth, it shall die."

I Timothy 1:17 "Jesus Christ 'ONLY hath immortality".

"For dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return," Gen. 3:19.

"The dead know not any thing," Eccl. 9:5, 10.

In the day of a man's death, "his thoughts perish" Ps. 146:4.

I await the drone strike.

Always full of fantastic information. Big Grin

(22-05-2012 02:22 PM)lucradis Wrote:  How did I get roped into this?

It's all your fault. I suggest you repent. God help us all.

[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Being Afraid of People? BrokenQuill92 21 926 24-09-2013 07:22 AM
Last Post: MillyJak
  Heisenberg and his word Riqposso 2 801 01-08-2013 06:11 PM
Last Post: Riqposso
  My opinion about people who change of religion viocjit 9 604 01-07-2013 02:21 AM
Last Post: Thanh
  Homeless people. earmuffs 57 2,257 11-05-2013 08:23 PM
Last Post: bbeljefe
  How can people be so different? Zat 45 1,420 08-02-2013 08:42 AM
Last Post: Luminon
  Nazi alert and other people's reactions Luminon 94 3,861 06-02-2013 11:22 AM
Last Post: Zat
  The treatment of Gay people HailMeNow 34 1,544 23-01-2013 01:37 PM
Last Post: GodlessnFree