what do people have with the word heart

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2012, 02:41 PM
RE: what do people have with the word heart
(22-05-2012 12:42 PM)lucradis Wrote:  That was my favorite part because it was like you were gonna come up with some normal parallel but then just gave up. What could soul be in real life terms? Happy face... ninja stars... ahh fuck it, non existent eternal soul.
I guffawed, but only in my head.
I always viewed 'soul' as being interpreted as the connection between mind and body.

Mind being the rational, thinking, self-aware, sense-data collecting, and consciousness that results from brain activity.

Body being, whole body including brain.

Soul being that connection that exists while in the living state.

Once you die, and your brain quits functioning, you lose the connection, your mind ceases, and your soul is, therefor, no longer.

Religiously people view the soul as a separate entity within itself, which is stupid as shit. It's common sense that your sense-data is reliant on some sort of connection, even without neuroscience to tell you that certain parts of the brain are responsible. Once you lose connection, you can't see, feel, hear, smell, or taste anything nor will you be self-aware or conscious. Assuming that somehow there is a entity that would allow you to continue without a connection, requires the irrationality of religion. You have no physical ears, nose, mouth, eyes, skin, etc, etc, or brain, but there is this other thing that allows you to move forward into an after life: the soul.

As Bucky Ball described, it's an old ass idea just like most religious bullshit. Also, like most religious bullshit, it was defeated, or at least shown to be absurd, by arguments from the same periods of time. They didn't get the point then, and they still don't.

One of my favorite rap quotes regarding the Soul:

"I think about my Soul, cuz your shell is just a frame
Only used for money, hustlin' and playin' the game

I want my chance to live long, what like Marvin Gaye
I may be dead and gone, but my word will be born"

Art itself can represent an immortal soul. When you create art, in its purest/truest form, you leave pieces of yourself that will survive well beyond your passing.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like TrulyX's post
22-05-2012, 03:03 PM
(22-05-2012 02:41 PM)TrulyX Wrote:  I always viewed 'soul' as being interpreted as the connection between mind and body.

I guess I've just thought of the brain as that connection. It contains the mind itself. But the term soul carries a religious or spiritual connotation that I don't think can be escaped, like the symbolic term "heart" can.

But I do like the way you think of art in relation to the idea of a soul.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
22-05-2012, 03:06 PM
(22-05-2012 02:41 PM)TrulyX Wrote:  Art itself can represent an immortal soul. When you create art, in its purest/truest form, you leave pieces of yourself that will survive well beyond your passing.
Yep. That's it!

Even though I don't have a God or children, it's ok; I make art.

When Wassily Kandinsky was asked if he believed in God, he answered, "Only when I make art." Thumbsup

Kandinsky was into creating a "new symbolism" in his work. Heart He is credited with painting the first purely abstract works.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
22-05-2012, 04:37 PM
(22-05-2012 03:03 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(22-05-2012 02:41 PM)TrulyX Wrote:  I always viewed 'soul' as being interpreted as the connection between mind and body.

I guess I've just thought of the brain as that connection. It contains the mind itself. But the term soul carries a religious or spiritual connotation that I don't think can be escaped, like the symbolic term "heart" can.

But I do like the way you think of art in relation to the idea of a soul.
The brain activity is the connection, scientifically.

Regarding the brain itself, I've heard people say shit like: If you take away a piece of the brain (referring to instances where people have lost portions of their brain and survived) you still have the mind. Therefore, the mind is separate from the brain.

Basically, the brain itself, as an object, isn't responsible for your mind. There is certain activity that is going on, that your brain controls, that results in what we consider the mind i.e. our self-aware, rational consciousness, scientifically, but the brain and the mind, philosophically, are viewed separate.

Philosophically, if I say brain and mind, those are two distinct things. Brain is part of the body, mind is what is giving us our sense-data/experiences.

You can easily disregard the religious meaning. Religion failed at every other philosophical question, so why not 'what is the soul'?

I view it as connection between your body and what is controlling it and receiving information through it i.e. the mind, since, philosophically, the mind can be viewed as a separate entity from the body (even though scientifically it can be viewed as the same thing).

When that connection is broken, it's called death.

Basically, you can view soul as life. When you're alive you have a soul, when you die, your soul is lost.

I kind of came up with that off top, incorporated with some stolen ideas, but "no idea is original" as they say. It's an extremely old philosophy, and you can see similar views, and opposing views, if you look up the philosophy of it. Wikipedia soul and under philosophy you can see similar shit.

(22-05-2012 03:06 PM)kim Wrote:  
(22-05-2012 02:41 PM)TrulyX Wrote:  Art itself can represent an immortal soul. When you create art, in its purest/truest form, you leave pieces of yourself that will survive well beyond your passing.
Yep. That's it!

Even though I don't have a God or children, it's ok; I make art.

When Wassily Kandinsky was asked if he believed in God, he answered, "Only when I make art." Thumbsup

Kandinsky was into creating a "new symbolism" in his work. Heart He is credited with painting the first purely abstract works.

Yeah, I was thinking how I feel about musical artists, specifically J. Dilla, but also what Christopher Hitchens said when he questioned wanting a heaven for seeing a person like William Shakespeare and he referred to his work being all that is needed.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
[+] 1 user Likes TrulyX's post
24-05-2012, 12:55 PM
i think what people mean with the soul is the electricity running trough your brain

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Being Afraid of People? BrokenQuill92 21 919 24-09-2013 07:22 AM
Last Post: MillyJak
  Heisenberg and his word Riqposso 2 780 01-08-2013 06:11 PM
Last Post: Riqposso
  My opinion about people who change of religion viocjit 9 601 01-07-2013 02:21 AM
Last Post: Thanh
  Homeless people. earmuffs 57 2,231 11-05-2013 08:23 PM
Last Post: bbeljefe
  How can people be so different? Zat 45 1,416 08-02-2013 08:42 AM
Last Post: Luminon
  Nazi alert and other people's reactions Luminon 94 3,849 06-02-2013 11:22 AM
Last Post: Zat
  The treatment of Gay people HailMeNow 34 1,537 23-01-2013 01:37 PM
Last Post: GodlessnFree