what do you think of this

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2013, 05:37 PM
what do you think of this
hi, i'm new here, and have come up with a fictional religion/philosophy that i wish existed (i originally posted elsewhere so kind of described as a religion, but it's a bit more like philosophy). i'm an atheist, but i don't think i'd have a problem wit hthis religion;

for a fantasy novel i'm working on, i came up with a fictional religion, but now i'm realising that i really wish a religion like this existed. it is inspired by Greek mythology, Celtic paganism, stereotypical views of native Americans and Buddhism.
basically, it is nature focused, with trees taking the place of angels as lesser deities/spirits or shrines/temples. a full ecosystem is one of the goals of this religion (lets call it... Imreallybadatnamingthings), as well as thinking deeply about the big questions in life and taking time out of your life just to sit and think. charity and giving up what you don't need are encourages, and destroying a copse of trees is like destroying a church, and is rarely stood for. similar to pantheism, this religion believes that harming the planet is equally bad/worse than/ the same as harming a deity.
belief in the main 'god' of the religion (a Pan-like deity and a mother nature one) is optional, the lifestyle being the more important element of the religion. animal cruelty is viewed as equally horrific as torture. vegetarianism is practiced by some, but not at all necessary. cutting down on meat consumption is, however, encouraged.
wealthy members of this religion often purchase large parts of forests as nature reserves. hunting isn't considered outright evil, but it shouldn't be done just for a trophy or for exotic meat, endangered animals are strictly against the few rules.
views on the likes of abortion and euthanasia vary (but extreme cases always call for them when necessary) due to their emphasis on the importance of life, whereas opinions on gay marriage and such are nearly universally pro, or at the very worst saying this religion and homosexuality are incompatible (their founder (me) disagrees) although gays should not be discriminated against; secular gay marriage is definitely wanted. women are considered completely equal to men, and women can gain the role of a teacher, that is teaching about the morality of Namingstuffishard and encouraging the students to challenge their opinions. this would be in temples, not in classrooms. the students are adults as much as children.
the other aims of Ishouldreallypickanothername are to collect knowledge and to debate, to argue and to disagree, but to do so respectfully and personal attacks are frowned upon. collection of literature (even things that you really, really disagree with e.g. mein kempf, for historical purposes) are encouraged, however they are best donated to libraries (even personal ones) for safekeeping and to share.
the religion is compatible with other religions, Igiveupthinkingaboutwhatishouldcallit never claims to be the 'true' religion, only the most moral. the only thing it is incompatible with is hatred or intolerance.
violence for (regulated) sport is fine, violence to spread Randomcollectionofletters is not, violence in self defence is fine, violence to help fulfill human rights where diplomacy won't work is practically encouraged, although minimal killing should take place (prisoners of war allowed live), and diplomacy is the favoured approach.
overall, the religion focuses on care for nature, for knowledge and debate and hopes to achieve total equality.
do you wish it existed? would you join it if it did (no, i'm not going to found a religion; i'm an atheist)? would you join it along with another religion? does it bear similarities to any unmentioned religions? would you join it, but as a lifestyle not a religion? would you join it if they substituted a deity of your choice into the role of Pan/mother nature? is it too flaky for your taste (i must admit, i agree with you a little if so)? would you have more respect for members of this religion than for other religious people?

whoah! that's a lot of writing!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2013, 06:35 PM
RE: what do you think of this
I wouldn't join any religion, but I often despair over never knowing a world without any at all. That being said, if I've just gotta put my bigboy-pants on, and name a price or get the fuck over it, "Imreallybadatnamingthings" doesn't sound nearly as expensive as, say, Islam!

12-04-2013, 06:45 AM
Hey, Bad.

Sounds a lot like Animism.

Although Animism doesn't talk about most of those political issues you list.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
12-04-2013, 07:21 AM
Have you seen Avatar?

Considering that life and living things is a basic premise, it's a shame that 'Vitalism' has already been taken.

Why not go for 'Verdantism' and you might pick up some of Egor's flock (when he can find some) by accident.