what does safe inference have to with intelligence?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2016, 03:14 PM
RE: what does safe inference have to with intelligence?
(24-05-2016 05:43 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Purple - this is slowly feeling like your first attempt at trolling. Not bad so far. 3 pages with no definition of the words you're using and no context.

I give you 2 out of 5 stars

No I am not trolling but I think the guy I was talking to is as he's the one that said all this not me. I was just trying to understand what he was claimimg. I learned that energy is not intelligent and why.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2016, 03:16 PM
(23-05-2016 08:01 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  " all physics sites discuss the principle of energy conservation which allows us to conclude that before the big bang (in imaginary time), there was an energy that was able to set itself in motion.

That principle is the third law of thermodynamics, not speculation."

It's hard to tell much given the lack of... anything... but it sounds like it might be a muddied version of Aquinas' Five Ways. The abbreviated version is "Somebody had to make the universe and my preconceptions say it musta been God."

What he's carrying on about is actually the First Law of Thermodynamics. Thou shalt neither create nor destroy matter or energy. He seems to be trying to extrapolate that to a pre-Big Bang state and call it God.

(1) The Laws of Thermodynamics are features of our universe. Use of them "before" our universe came to be falls somewhere between questionable and absurd.

(2) Intelligence, action and motion require change, which in turn require time. There was a notable paucity of time "prior" to the Big Bang.

(3) Our understanding of the "state of things" "prior" to the Big Bang is very murky. Our language doesn't handle it well, hence the quotes. It's tricksy to speak about the time before time. So unless he has a degree in some exceptionally high level cosmology or similar he's talking out of his ass.

(4) Don't forget to note the irony/idiocy/dishonesty of basing a deity on a physical principle that it is purported to violate at whim.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
24-05-2016, 03:18 PM
Given that the 4th Google hit for "safe inference" is this thread I feel reasonably confident that he's simply making shit up.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
24-05-2016, 04:07 PM
Yes he is making shit up. He got his ass handed to him because I wanted to know what the hell he was talking about. So I demanded he show proof and I got nothing but him saying it again in a different way and then he asked what more proof do you want as if he gave any to begin with.
24-05-2016, 06:16 PM
(24-05-2016 03:18 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Given that the 4th Google hit for "safe inference" is this thread

Nice! TTA is doing very well! Thumbsup

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-05-2016, 06:29 PM
(23-05-2016 07:40 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 07:35 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Can you provide a link? We have no facts to rub together...

I don't have a link because I don't understand how he came to this conclusion. He hasn't posted anything to prove his claim.

Who is your he?
24-05-2016, 06:59 PM
"safe inference"

Somethin' to do with a baseball game?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
24-05-2016, 07:00 PM
(24-05-2016 06:59 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  "safe inference"

Somethin' to do with a baseball game?

Prolly he inferred he was safe on first!
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
24-05-2016, 07:04 PM
(24-05-2016 06:29 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(23-05-2016 07:40 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  I don't have a link because I don't understand how he came to this conclusion. He hasn't posted anything to prove his claim.

Who is your he?

A friend of a friend. This was his original post.

"The principle of energy conservation states that "energy cannot be created or destroyed; it can only be transformed".

This means energy has always existed in a primordial state even before the big bang, which was its first transformation into spacetime then matter.

That intelligent energy is what religions call God."
24-05-2016, 08:43 PM
I think he meant to say, "that natural energy is what we call nature."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results