what does safe inference have to with intelligence?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2016, 10:45 PM
RE: what does safe inference have to with intelligence?
strong box assumption

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2016, 10:54 PM
(24-05-2016 07:04 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  
(24-05-2016 06:29 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  Who is your he?

A friend of a friend. This was his original post.

"The principle of energy conservation states that "energy cannot be created or destroyed; it can only be transformed".

This means energy has always existed in a primordial state even before the big bang, which was its first transformation into spacetime then matter.

That intelligent energy is what religions call God."

Intelligent?

Where did "intelligent" come from?

I'm not asking "who created it". I'm asking, "wait, this seems to have randomly snuck into the conversation from nowhere, why would we think that this enduring energy is intelligent?" Why would we regard energy as having reasoning capacity, memory, and senses? Does this universal energy somehow also have emotions, personality, and desires? Why would anyone assume that the type of energy described by physicists possesses these properties? The gods worshipped by religions sound exactly NOTHING like energy as described by physicists.

... and also, is it ALL religions calling that God, or just SOME religions? Is any worship, no matter from whom and no matter directed towards which deity, automatically referring to this particular energy, or are there possibly some religions worshiping "gods" that are NOT pointing their worship at this somehow-intelligent-energy? When the Prince Phillip Movement (my favorite religion ever) prays to Prince Phillip to return with gifts, are they actually worshiping this energy or are they worshiping Prince Phillip? And if some religions aren't directing their worship towards it, and if most religions don't come out and SAY that they're worshiping this supposedly-intelligent energy... how can we tell which ones are and which ones aren't?
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
24-05-2016, 11:05 PM
(24-05-2016 10:54 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(24-05-2016 07:04 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  A friend of a friend. This was his original post.

"The principle of energy conservation states that "energy cannot be created or destroyed; it can only be transformed".

This means energy has always existed in a primordial state even before the big bang, which was its first transformation into spacetime then matter.

Intelligent?

Where did "intelligent" come from?

I'm not asking "who created it". I'm asking, "wait, this seems to have randomly snuck into the conversation from nowhere, why would we think that this enduring energy is intelligent?" Why would we regard energy as having reasoning capacity, memory, and senses? Does this universal energy somehow also have emotions, personality, and desires? Why would anyone assume that the type of energy described by physicists possesses these properties? The gods worshipped by religions sound exactly NOTHING like energy as described by physicists.

... and also, is it ALL religions calling that God, or just SOME religions? Is any worship, no matter from whom and no matter directed towards which deity, automatically referring to this particular energy, or are there possibly some religions worshiping "gods" that are NOT pointing their worship at this somehow-intelligent-energy? When the Prince Phillip Movement (my favorite religion ever) prays to Prince Phillip to return with gifts, are they actually worshiping this energy or are they worshiping Prince Phillip? And if some religions aren't directing their worship towards it, and if most religions don't come out and SAY that they're worshiping this supposedly-intelligent energy... how can we tell which ones are and which ones aren't?

I debunked him on everything til he threw in "safe inference" saying that that's how evolution veiws it or something to that degree.
24-05-2016, 11:37 PM
(24-05-2016 07:04 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  
(24-05-2016 06:29 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  Who is your he?

A friend of a friend. This was his original post.

Utter horseshit, not even worth 1 of the 5 pages of this thread.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
25-05-2016, 07:13 PM
(24-05-2016 07:04 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  "The principle of energy conservation states that "energy cannot be created or destroyed; it can only be transformed".

Good start. Quit while you're ahead.

Quote:This means energy has always existed in a primordial state

At this point I'd like to see your Doctorate in Cosmology.

Quote:even before the big bang

In the place before space during the time before time...

Quote:which was its first transformation into spacetime

O... K... So you're turning energy into spacetime now. Since energy is traditionally defined in terms of space and time this ought to be entertaining. Don't mind me, I'll just watch while you write your proofs out. Please excuse the snickering, guffaws, and full-blown belly-laughs. Popcorn

Quote:then matter.

So we're turning energy into space-time and turning that into matter? This should be funny to watch.

Quote:That intelligent energy is what religions call God."

I think you might have skipped a few steps.

Nevertheless, I have just been informed that you have been awarded this year's Nobel Prize in Theology. The Nobel Committee will be sending you the formal notification from Stockholm shortly but you can claim you prize money immediately. Simply send you banking info to the First National Bank of Lagos.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
26-05-2016, 09:06 AM
(25-05-2016 07:13 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(24-05-2016 07:04 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  "The principle of energy conservation states that "energy cannot be created or destroyed; it can only be transformed".

Good start. Quit while you're ahead.

Quote:This means energy has always existed in a primordial state

Quote:even before the big bang

Quote:which was its first transformation into spacetime

O... K... So you're turning energy into spacetime now. Since energy is traditionally defined in terms of space and time this ought to be entertaining. Don't mind me, I'll just watch while you write your proofs out. Please excuse the snickering, guffaws, and full-blown belly-laughs. Popcorn

Quote:then matter.

So we're turning energy into space-time and turning that into matter? This should be funny to watch.

Quote:That intelligent energy is what religions call God."

Nevertheless, I have just been informed that you have been awarded this year's Nobel Prize in Theology. The Nobel Committee will be sending you the formal notification from Stockholm shortly but you can claim you prize money immediately. Simply send you banking info to the First National Bank of Lagos.

You do know this was a quote from a friend of a friend right? I was only trying to figure out how he came to this conclusion.
26-05-2016, 11:47 AM
(23-05-2016 08:44 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  So basically a "safe inference" is an assumption based on evidence but only a little bit, and basically only something you just want to be true.

The best I'm getting from it is "shitty induction". Lets see if I can make a safe inference:
  • Ray Charles plays piano.
  • Ray Charles is blind.
  • My wife plays piano.
Therefore, it's safe to infer my wife is blind. On the plus side, we can get some money from selling her car!

I'll see how she takes the news...
26-05-2016, 04:25 PM
(26-05-2016 09:06 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  
(25-05-2016 07:13 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Good start. Quit while you're ahead.

You do know this was a quote from a friend of a friend right? I was only trying to figure out how he came to this conclusion.

I know. My reply was to him. I would never accuse you of such ridiculous garbage.

Truth is it doesn't look like he came to any conclusion. More like he just pulled stuff out of his ass and called it god.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
26-05-2016, 04:58 PM
(26-05-2016 04:25 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(26-05-2016 09:06 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  You do know this was a quote from a friend of a friend right? I was only trying to figure out how he came to this conclusion.

I know. My reply was to him. I would never accuse you of such ridiculous garbage.

Truth is it doesn't look like he came to any conclusion. More like he just pulled stuff out of his ass and called it god.

Thanks I just wanted to make sure. The best part was when his friend posted he got his ass kicked and by a girl. Lmao. I know that the girl part is sexist but it was funny
26-05-2016, 06:14 PM
(26-05-2016 04:58 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  
(26-05-2016 04:25 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  I know. My reply was to him. I would never accuse you of such ridiculous garbage.

Thanks I just wanted to make sure. The best part was when his friend posted he got his ass kicked and by a girl. Lmao. I know that the girl part is sexist but it was funny

Sorry I didn't make that more clear. Sometimes when I see something really dumb I just have to tear it apart bit by bit. This was one of those occasions.

It does sound sexist but I can sort of see it. Makes it sound like he just got beaten up by a scrawny six year-old with pigtails.

I'd suggest that you invite him over to TTA (please point him to the creationism forum if you do) but I doubt he'd last as long as the proverbial snowflake in hell if what you've posted is any indication of his talent.

---