what exactly is Pastafarianism to atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2014, 11:27 AM
RE: what exactly is Pastafarianism to atheists
(23-09-2014 11:09 AM)Ace Wrote:  
(23-09-2014 10:57 AM)Chas Wrote:  Satire: the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.
(23-09-2014 11:05 AM)Sam Wrote:  It's to make a point about unfalsifiability, and how the claim of a flying lump of spaghetti and meatballs creating the universe is no less valid than anything Christians believe...

In a way, the FSM is to demonstrate how atheists view belief in God... As something ludicrous and crazy.

so its in a way an atheistic religion of humor ?
Okay, Ace. At this point, I'm confused about your confusion. So I'll try to make a similar example.

Let's say we have a large percentage of the population who is obsessed with ShamWow. Let's say they pay absurdly high prices for this product, and often they just prepare a feast and invite people over to talk about this product and how wonderful it is (while trying to spread the use of this product even further).

Now let's introduce a minority of people who think that ShamWow is a scam. They think that the product is ultimately ineffective and is just gouging people out of their money. This group creates commercials for a fake product called, "Sham-Whoa!" In these commercials Sham-Whoa! does everything that ShamWow does, but better. Sham-Whoa has a ridiculous back story about being created from the fleece of vegan sheep woven together with organic hemp. But Sham-Whoa! is not an actual product (it is not being produced or used), it's just a parody of ShamWow! Meant to point out how laughable ShamWow is and how interesting it is people fall for the scam.

ShamWow! = most theistic religions
Sham-Whoa! = Pastafarianism

Not the best example, but do you get it?

note, I actually have nothing against ShamWow...

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2014, 11:44 AM
(23-09-2014 11:17 AM)xieulong Wrote:  
(23-09-2014 11:12 AM)Ace Wrote:  its confusing for me because being in India I have very little knowledge of what goes on in the west, and catching up on it all is taking up a lot of time

Yeah, you're thinking too much into this. It's just a joke that some atheist made

I always overthink things, its what got me out of religious brainwashing
23-09-2014, 12:19 PM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2014 01:20 PM by RobbyPants.)
(23-09-2014 10:51 AM)Ace Wrote:  so its not theism per say, just imitation, so what is it then ? atheistic comedy ?

the more I try to understand whats going on, the more confused I get Shocking

It's satire that people have used various times to try and show the ridiculousness of societies acceptance of certain religious beliefs. In America, religion is frequently given a special status, with the idea that everyone's beliefs are special, and since they can't be proven right or wrong, everyone is allowed to have them. I imagine most theists are worried about slippery slopes of all religions being banned if we infringe on religion X.

So, you get some theist trying to push for some special treatment of their religion, and then a self-proclaimed Pastafarian will come by to demand equal treatment. It's not that the person cares about that belief per se, but it's more to make a point.

The FSM was created to protest the Kansas City school board's decision to give creationism equal time as evolution in science class rooms. The guy said that he believed in the FSM and he wanted his beliefs to have equal time in the class rooms, too.

Since then, people have done similar things, like wear a colander on their head while swearing the oath to serve in public office (successful) or for their driver's license photo (currently unsuccessful, but being fought). The idea on the second is that you're not allowed to wear hats on the photo because they want to see your features (a valid reason), but religious headdresses are allowed (stupid reason). So, the guy wants to wear a colander to show how ludicrous this is. The government realizes this is stupid, but has to resort to special pleading to maintain the status quo.

Interestingly, people have been recently using Satanism to achieve the same ends.
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
23-09-2014, 12:35 PM
(23-09-2014 12:19 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(23-09-2014 10:51 AM)Ace Wrote:  so its not theism per say, just imitation, so what is it then ? atheistic comedy ?

the more I try to understand whats going on, the more confused I get Shocking

It's satire that people have used various times to try and show the ridiculousness of societies acceptance of certain religious beliefs. In America, religion is frequently given a special status, with the idea that everyone's beliefs are special, and since they can't be proven right or wrong, everyone is allowed to have them. I imagine most theists are worried about slippery slopes of all religions being banned if we infringe on religion X.

So, you get some theist trying to push for some special treatment of their religion, and then a self-proclaimed Pastafarian will come by to demand equal treatment. It's not that the person about that belief per se, but it's more to make a point.

The FSM was created to protest the Kansas City school board's decision to give creationism equal time as evolution in science class rooms. The guy said that he believed in the FSM and he wanted his beliefs to have equal time in the class rooms, too.

Since then, people have done similar things, like wear a colander on their head while swearing the oath to serve in public office (successful) or for their driver's license photo (currently unsuccessful, but being fought). The idea on the second is that you're not allowed to wear hats on the photo because they want to see your features (a valid reason), but religious headdresses are allowed (stupid reason). So, the guy wants to wear a colander to show how ludicrous this is. The government realizes this is stupid, but has to resort to special pleading to maintain the status quo.

Interestingly, people have been recently using Satanism to achieve the same ends.

wouldn't using satans name terrify the jebus_ians with delusions of things that their pastors blabber about being evil in their book ?
23-09-2014, 12:37 PM
(23-09-2014 12:35 PM)Ace Wrote:  
(23-09-2014 12:19 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  It's satire that people have used various times to try and show the ridiculousness of societies acceptance of certain religious beliefs. In America, religion is frequently given a special status, with the idea that everyone's beliefs are special, and since they can't be proven right or wrong, everyone is allowed to have them. I imagine most theists are worried about slippery slopes of all religions being banned if we infringe on religion X.

So, you get some theist trying to push for some special treatment of their religion, and then a self-proclaimed Pastafarian will come by to demand equal treatment. It's not that the person about that belief per se, but it's more to make a point.

wouldn't using satans name terrify the jebus_ians with delusions of things that their pastors blabber about being evil in their book ?

Bingo! That's precisely the point of doing it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
23-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Simply, its a joke religion...

Its obviously ludicrous, and in a way holds a mirror up to genuine religions, in order to make a point that their beliefs are no more credible... So when Christian fundamentalists try to get their creation myth taught in science classes, the Flying Spaghetti Monster people kick up a storm and demand that their creation myth is taught in classes too...

Really, I think its more of an American thing... Because a lot of it is concerned with the US Constitution, 1st Amendment stuff which forbids the government from favoring one belief over another.

But its also to make a point about the hypocrisy of blasphemy... Christians get very uptight if you call their beliefs bullshit, but they frequently insult other people's faiths. By creating a deliberately comical deity, it acts as bait for ridicule from Christians, to which you would claim to be deeply offended...

It works on many levels... But at its most basic, it exposes the fact that not a single world religion has any more credibility than the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Its claims are completely unfalsifiable... That is, there is no evidence for them, but they can't be proven untrue.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Sam's post
23-09-2014, 01:23 PM
Here's the letter Bobby Henderson, the founder, wrote to the Kansas City school board.

http://www.venganza.org/about/open-letter/

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
23-09-2014, 01:24 PM
(23-09-2014 12:35 PM)Ace Wrote:  wouldn't using satans name terrify the jebus_ians with delusions of things that their pastors blabber about being evil in their book ?

Pastafarianism pisses off theists because they can see that their beliefs are being mocked. They might invoke special pleading to try and say why they're different, but it does rile them.

Satanism being used for equal treatment does all of the above while also illustrating that you can use their own mythology as a satire unto itself. That stings double. Maybe double-and-a-half, even.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
23-09-2014, 01:52 PM
(23-09-2014 01:06 PM)Sam Wrote:  Simply, its a joke religion...

Its obviously ludicrous, and in a way holds a mirror up to genuine religions, in order to make a point that their beliefs are no more credible... So when Christian fundamentalists try to get their creation myth taught in science classes, the Flying Spaghetti Monster people kick up a storm and demand that their creation myth is taught in classes too...

Really, I think its more of an American thing... Because a lot of it is concerned with the US Constitution, 1st Amendment stuff which forbids the government from favoring one belief over another.

But its also to make a point about the hypocrisy of blasphemy... Christians get very uptight if you call their beliefs bullshit, but they frequently insult other people's faiths. By creating a deliberately comical deity, it acts as bait for ridicule from Christians, to which you would claim to be deeply offended...

It works on many levels... But at its most basic, it exposes the fact that not a single world religion has any more credibility than the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Its claims are completely unfalsifiable... That is, there is no evidence for them, but they can't be proven untrue.

LOL. Here's a headline from the christianpost web news site.

"Pastafarian Noodle Tree' Denied Spot in Holiday Display at Pa. Courthouse"

http://www.christianpost.com/news/pastaf...use-85888/

I'd love to have a Noodle Tree this Christmas. Except I wouldn't hang it on a christmas tree, I'd hang it onto my Festavus pole.

[Image: phil1.jpg]

[Image: Festivus_Pole.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
23-09-2014, 02:03 PM
The way I see it, is a more elaborate version of Russell's Teapot.

Where Russell's Teapot was meant to point out the flaw when a theist asks an atheist to prove their god exists. FSM can be taken even further to make fun of ridiculous rituals and correlations.