what exactly is Pastafarianism to atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2014, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2014 03:18 PM by Reltzik.)
RE: what exactly is Pastafarianism to atheists
It's basically 5 things at once.

First, it's satire/parody, as most everyone's pointed out.

Second, it's a legal argument. It says, this laughable thing is a religion, and you have to give us the same rights as religion, or else you're violating whichever rules about religious equality apply in your country. (Oh, wait, you're going to apply some sort of test to see whether we truly believe? Why aren't you also checking if the Christians are true believers, hmmm? Why the special scrutiny?)

Third, this extends into a strategy of deterrence. By insisting on that status of equality, a message is sent to governments who wish to favor Christianity: favoring religion in any way, means you must favor us as well. EDIT: And politicians really don't want to be made to look absurd by doing this.

Fourth, it's a form of protest against such favoritism. Donning a collander isn't about showing faith in the FSM. It's about protesting how certain religions are allowed headgear in their IDs, when the rest of us are not.

And fifth, it's an in-joke.

EDIT: Oh, and six (thanks guys) it's a debate strategy. Any apologetic argument that "proves" the Christian God, that can also be used to prove the FSM, don't actually prove anything.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post
24-09-2014, 07:02 AM
(23-09-2014 02:11 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  It's basically 5 things at once.

Second, it's a legal argument. It says, this laughable thing is a religion, and you have to give us the same rights as religion, or else you're violating whichever rules about religious equality apply in your country. (Oh, wait, you're going to apply some sort of test to see whether we truly believe? Why aren't you also checking if the Christians are true believers, hmmm? Why the special scrutiny?)

Third, this extends into a strategy of deterrence. By insisting on that status of equality, a message is sent to governments who wish to favor Christianity: favoring religion in any way, means you must favor us as well. EDIT: And politicians really don't want to be made to look absurd by doing this.

Fourth, it's a form of protest against such favoritism. Donning a collander isn't about showing faith in the FSM. It's about protesting how certain religions are allowed headgear in their IDs, when the rest of us are not.

EDIT: Oh, and six (thanks guys) it's a debate strategy. Any apologetic argument that "proves" the Christian God, that can also be used to prove the FSM, don't actually prove anything.

so its just one of our WMD's in the war on religion putting it slimy nose where it doesn't belong
24-09-2014, 08:05 AM
(23-09-2014 02:11 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  EDIT: Oh, and six (thanks guys) it's a debate strategy. Any apologetic argument that "proves" the Christian God, that can also be used to prove the FSM, don't actually prove anything.

I've found the Christian counter strategy for this one:

I was at worthychristianforums and I compared blind belief in God to blind belief in the FSM. The mod got pissed, said that I can't compare God to the FSM (which I didn't) and locked me from the thread*. When in doubt, shut the conversation down!

* Note that the retarded mod didn't PM me why I was locked out of the thread. I had to go to it in a different browser to find that out.
24-09-2014, 09:25 AM
A bunch of lovely pirates. Argh mateys!
24-09-2014, 09:27 AM
(24-09-2014 07:02 AM)Ace Wrote:  
(23-09-2014 02:11 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  It's basically 5 things at once.

so its just one of our WMD's in the war on religion putting it slimy nose where it doesn't belong

Well, the point is really that it sticks it's nose in where it does belong...

The government has no right to define what is and isn't a religion, so they have to give it equal status to Christianity, Islam, Judaism etc...

So this helps to take them down a peg or two, by lumping them in with something they regard as inferior, or crazy. So wherever Christianity goes, the Flying Spaghetti Monster goes too...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user