what if our current views are wrong?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2013, 03:04 PM
RE: what if our current views are wrong?
(31-01-2013 02:13 PM)Scientia Wrote:  
(31-01-2013 01:55 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I haven't quite dug in yet but I must ask, how do they deal with brain damage?
To what extent? But as to not waste a post lets see if we can get this defined. Brain damage is the destruction or degeneration of brain cells. This is all physical, but it says nothing about the mind. A concussion is a brain injury but people can, and do function and are aware of themselves and their surroundings. This is because the brain is a physical object that can be seen with the eyes, and touched with the hands. The mind, on the other hand, is not a physical object. It cannot be
seen with the eyes, nor can it be touched by the hands. But we do have it, and it is separate from the brain.

If I'm going down the wrong path, can you elaborate more on what you are trying to ask?
When the brain is sufficiently injured, the mind suffers. If the mind is a separate thing, why should this be so?
Please explain how psychoactive drugs work on this substance of the mind.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
31-01-2013, 03:09 PM
(31-01-2013 02:41 PM)Scientia Wrote:  
Quote:We can't see, touch, or even induce
fusion of Silicon atoms in the heart of a star
Are you sure? are you sure you know what you are talking about? A silicon atom? Lets see, the sun is a star, and fusion is processed at it's core, and that fusion consist of hydrogen atoms colliding with helium atoms. And we see the result of this fusion in the form of light and heat. Sorry, I don't see a silicon atom (si) nowhere in this operation. Now, if you are aware of some knowledge that I'm not please post it. If you do, make sure it encompass all stars.

No, fusion in stars starts with H -> He fusion, but proceeds to make heavier elements.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
31-01-2013, 03:13 PM
(31-01-2013 02:49 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon-burning_process

It is the last fusion that occurs in stars as it produces iron which can't be fused because it is an energy-consuming reaction and not an energy-producing reaction. Ergo it is Endothermic and not Exothermic.

Provide evidence for the claim metaphysics exists. That is the claim being proposed.
Not so fast, first show me where I'm wrong and you are right about silicon atoms being involved in the sun's (which is a star) fusion reaction. Also show me where I'm wrong about not being able to see the results of that fusion. Also show me where sand (silicon) has been found on the surface of the sun...I'm not going anywhere, so Ill be here when you get that put together.

Science investigates, religion interprets.

I got my first like....[Image: weeping.gif] Thank you!
Find all posts by this user
31-01-2013, 03:14 PM
http://library.thinkquest.org/17940/text.../star.html

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
31-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Sand is not silica. Sand is a grain size. One of the most common sand sized types is made of quartz, which is SiO2 (silicon dioxide). So why would there ever be any sand on the surface of the sun? Silicon fusion occurs at the core of massive stars towards the end of their life cycle, not in stars the size of our sun (although it does have silicon in it as well as every other element since it is a third generation star).

We can detect silicon fusion in other stars spectrographically but not directly as it occurs in the CORE OF THE STAR WHERE SILICON IS BEING FUSED AT TEMPERATURES THAT ARE SO HIGH I CANNOT FATHOM THEM.

Evolve
31-01-2013, 03:21 PM
(31-01-2013 03:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(31-01-2013 02:41 PM)Scientia Wrote:  Are you sure? are you sure you know what you are talking about? A silicon atom? Lets see, the sun is a star, and fusion is processed at it's core, and that fusion consist of hydrogen atoms colliding with helium atoms. And we see the result of this fusion in the form of light and heat. Sorry, I don't see a silicon atom (si) nowhere in this operation. Now, if you are aware of some knowledge that I'm not please post it. If you do, make sure it encompass all stars.

No, fusion in stars starts with H -> He fusion, but proceeds to make heavier elements.
Nicely done!!. You're correct, silicon I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) is about .0050% in terms of abundance as compared to the 93% of hydrogen. I use to think that the sun was all gas because they would always say "a hot ball of gas" but later learned that it wasn't after the fusion process.

31-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Those other elements are still gas, until it fuses silicon and creates a dense core of iron.

Evolve
31-01-2013, 03:27 PM
(31-01-2013 02:13 PM)Scientia Wrote:  
(31-01-2013 01:55 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I haven't quite dug in yet but I must ask, how do they deal with brain damage?
To what extent? But as to not waste a post lets see if we can get this defined. Brain damage is the destruction or degeneration of brain cells. This is all physical, but it says nothing about the mind. A concussion is a brain injury but people can, and do function and are aware of themselves and their surroundings. This is because the brain is a physical object that can be seen with the eyes, and touched with the hands. The mind, on the other hand, is not a physical object. It cannot be
seen with the eyes, nor can it be touched by the hands. But we do have it, and it is separate from the brain.

If I'm going down the wrong path, can you elaborate more on what you are trying to ask?
Here is an example of how a damaged brain, can alter a persons mind.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
31-01-2013, 03:28 PM
(31-01-2013 03:17 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Sand is not silica. Sand is a grain size. One of the most common sand sized types is made of quartz, which is SiO2 (silicon dioxide). So why would there ever be any sand on the surface of the sun? Silicon fusion occurs at the core of massive stars towards the end of their life cycle, not in stars the size of our sun (although it does have silicon in it as well as every other element since it is a third generation star).

We can detect silicon fusion in other stars spectrographically but not directly as it occurs in the CORE OF THE STAR WHERE SILICON IS BEING FUSED AT TEMPERATURES THAT ARE SO HIGH I CANNOT FATHOM THEM.
It is not sand per-se but it is deposited in it. Anyway, I was just messing with you, I just wanted to to give me some serious in depth responses rather than those off the wall answers.

[+] 1 user Likes Scientia's post
31-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Glad your not crazy then about expecting to find sand on the sun.

Evolve