what if our current views are wrong?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2013, 04:55 PM
RE: what if our current views are wrong?
(31-01-2013 03:33 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Glad your not crazy then about expecting to find sand on the sun.
And what is wrong with me trying? Drinking Beverage

*time for my meds* Hobo

Science investigates, religion interprets.

I got my first like....[Image: weeping.gif] Thank you!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2013, 04:55 PM
(31-01-2013 04:46 PM)Scientia Wrote:  
(31-01-2013 04:10 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I didn't indicate one behavior over another. Simply that any damage done to the brain affects the mind.
You have not provided any proof of this.

I thought the brain injury/trauma videos would suffice. However if you'd like peer reviewed neuroscience papers I can look them up.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
31-01-2013, 05:02 PM
(31-01-2013 04:45 PM)Scientia Wrote:  
(31-01-2013 04:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  Drugs are chemicals that affect the chemistry of the brain and alter the behavior of the mind.

If the mind is not a result of brain activity, why should drugs affect it? How could chemicals affect it?
Once again, this is the brain argument. The brain is just a tool that the mind uses to carry out it's task.
And when the brain is dead, the mind can't perform its functions.
How does this incorporeal mind use the brain? How does it interact with the brain? Why does it even need the brain?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-01-2013, 05:57 PM
(31-01-2013 04:46 PM)Scientia Wrote:  
(31-01-2013 04:10 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I didn't indicate one behavior over another. Simply that any damage done to the brain affects the mind.
You have not provided any proof of this.
Rather than attack a straw man I want to make sure I get this correct.

The mind in your view is a noncorporeal entity, which some how puppeteers the body?

So that on this view you can also say that brain damage, merely damages the ability or the noncorporeal entity to operate the body?

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
31-01-2013, 06:18 PM
(31-01-2013 04:55 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(31-01-2013 04:46 PM)Scientia Wrote:  You have not provided any proof of this.

I thought the brain injury/trauma videos would suffice. However if you'd like peer reviewed neuroscience papers I can look them up.
Yes they do, but only for certain levels of brain trauma. But they don't say or even imply that this is true for all levels of brain injury. Let me serve as the perfect object lesson. I've had my head busted twice as a child, but look at what I have accomplish throughout my life with no mental impairment.

31-01-2013, 06:22 PM
(31-01-2013 06:18 PM)Scientia Wrote:  
(31-01-2013 04:55 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I thought the brain injury/trauma videos would suffice. However if you'd like peer reviewed neuroscience papers I can look them up.
Yes they do, but only for certain levels of brain trauma. But they don't say or even imply that this is true for all levels of brain injury. Let me serve as the perfect object lesson. I've had my head busted twice as a child, but look at what I have accomplish throughout my life with no mental impairment.
Proving absolutely nothing. You may have no brain injury, you may have mild brain injury.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
31-01-2013, 06:29 PM
(31-01-2013 06:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(31-01-2013 06:18 PM)Scientia Wrote:  Yes they do, but only for certain levels of brain trauma. But they don't say or even imply that this is true for all levels of brain injury. Let me serve as the perfect object lesson. I've had my head busted twice as a child, but look at what I have accomplish throughout my life with no mental impairment.
Proving absolutely nothing. You may have no brain injury, you may have mild brain injury.
I feel as though this form of dualism has been reasoned through poorly.

Suppose I desire to control another body and not my own, what prevents me from switching?

Even if two people consent to the exchange why does it not happen?

What mechanism tethers souls to bodies? Can this mechanism be reproduced, if so, what prevents a computer from hijacking this tether to create remote controlled humans?

Suppose the dead, which far out number the living, revolted against those who control bodies. Would everybody shut down while these noncoporeal minds do battle?

-Baron d'Holbach-
31-01-2013, 06:32 PM
"You show me that it works and how it works and when I've recovered from the shock, I will take a compass and carve 'fancy that' on the side of my cock."
-Tim Minchin, Storm

/thread

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
31-01-2013, 06:39 PM
(31-01-2013 05:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(31-01-2013 04:45 PM)Scientia Wrote:  And when the brain is dead, the mind can't perform its functions.
This only proves my point and the relationship between the mind and the brain wouldn't you agree? Isn't that how we determine if a person is
alive or conscious, if they should some kind of physical response?

Quote:How does this incorporeal mind use the brain? How does it interact with the brain? Why does it even need the brain?
In my opinion I would say that the mind is the driving force because it gives rise to thoughts, actions, emotions, and consciousness.

Quote:II. The mind and brain are separate phenomena, with the mind being more primary: As
just mentioned above, we perceive that it is very important to understand that the biological,
physical brain and the non-biological, non-physical mind are separate, qualitatively different
phenomena, and to recognize that the non-biological mind is the “leader,” “master,” and more
primary phenomena.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...GE&cad=rja

How it works with the brain is through energy, though force.

31-01-2013, 06:43 PM
(31-01-2013 06:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(31-01-2013 06:18 PM)Scientia Wrote:  Yes they do, but only for certain levels of brain trauma. But they don't say or even imply that this is true for all levels of brain injury. Let me serve as the perfect object lesson. I've had my head busted twice as a child, but look at what I have accomplish throughout my life with no mental impairment.
Yes, I had a concussion which is a brain injury. So it does prove that all brain injuries dose not result in mental impairment.