what if our current views are wrong?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2013, 09:56 PM
RE: what if our current views are wrong?
(01-02-2013 07:31 PM)Scientia Wrote:  
(01-02-2013 08:38 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I didn't know metaphysics was one set idea... after all, then what is THE theory of metaphysics if it is in indeed a theory, not a philosophy that covers various schools of thought.
Metaphysics is notoriously hard to define. Also, why are you calling it a theory when you just suggested it be called a philosophy? Once again, I've seen both words used with it.

meta·phys·ics
noun plural but singular in construction \-ˈfi-ziks\

Definition of METAPHYSICS

1 a (1) :
a division of philosophy that is concerned with the fundamental nature
of reality and being and that includes ontology, cosmology, and often
epistemology (2) : ontology 2

Quote:Metaphysics vs. Physics

The theory of abstract objects is a metaphysical theory. Whereas
physics attempts a systematic description of fundamental and complex
concrete objects, metaphysics attempts a systematic description of
fundamental and complex abstract objects. Abstract objects are the
objects that are presupposed by our scientific conceptual framework.
For example, when doing natural science, we presuppose that we can use
the natural numbers to count concrete objects, and that we
can use the real numbers to measure them in various ways. It
is part of our understanding of science that natural laws
exist (even if no one were around to discover them)
http://mally.stanford.edu/theory.html

Quote:I have been rather remiss, I feel, in promoting some mutual scrutiny between our n-categorical community and that part of the metaphysics community which interests itself in structuralism. Since I heard in the mid-1990s about the metaphysical theory of structural realism put forward by various philosophers of physics,
http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/category/2011...hysic.html

Is it your intent to be pedantic?
I was emphasizing THE in that sentence because you were referring to Metaphysics as A theory.

What you gave was just a clear example of two Metaphysical theories being labeled... about structural realism and abstract objects. Those complete intricate systems are metaphysical theories; however, metaphysics isn't a theory.

The point is metaphysics isn't a theory. It isn't a science it's a philosophy. Is there aspects of possibilities in metaphysics? Yes, but as of now the evidence to consider them a substantial understanding in a scientific light is dim. I am pedantic and meticulous by nature Wink

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2013, 11:09 PM
Hey Nappa..
What if we aren't on Earth, what if this is Mars and Mars is earth? Ohmy

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post
04-02-2013, 12:33 AM
(14-01-2013 05:19 AM)Nappa Wrote:  What if the views of what life and death is are wrong? What if the concepts of you, me, it are wrong?

current world views of life and death were mainly developed by religious organizations. You are born and god gave you a soul, you die and you go to heaven. With atheists this just leaves, you are born and you die. But that is still fundamental remnants of the old religious philosophy.

What if we aren't born? And what if we don't die?

Secondly the entire concept of individuality is based on religion principles. We all have different 'souls'.

But what if we're not separate? what if we're whole? Instead of going through the process of being born and dying, what if we ,the whole, were consistent?
what if indeed.. what if the universe came into existance the moment i was born. what if the everything except me doesnt actually exist. interesting prospects but there is no reason to think any of them are true. but they may in fact be true and i find myself entertaining such ideas often enough.that said i will only accept as truth what can be shown as truth.
04-02-2013, 01:08 AM
(31-01-2013 11:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  Well just how you would justify something through a cause of some kind I think their has to be a purpose behind life not really humans in particular. We are only evolved creatures of life so a better question is why did nature and life come into existence and what is its purpose??
(31-01-2013 10:57 AM)Thedude5555 Wrote:  Hmm really gets you thinking I mean we are born only to die which doesn't really explain our purpose. We could become smarter or more evolved but why could we have come to existence, much less the universe itself with nothing behind it. I strongly think that everything has a reason behind itself but as science improves so will our understanding of human purpose in this vast thing we call life.

Why do you believe there is a purpose?
04-02-2013, 01:51 AM
(01-02-2013 09:56 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I was emphasizing THE in that sentence because you were referring to Metaphysics as A theory.
And I have explained why ad-nauseium

Quote:What you gave was just a clear example of two Metaphysical theories
being labeled...
No, what I gave you was two examples, one used the word "theory", and the other "philosophy". I have seen many more but it isn't necessary that I post everyone just to show you.
Quote:about structural realism and abstract objects. Those
complete intricate systems are metaphysical theories; however,
metaphysics isn't a theory.
You are going way off base, so let me try again. I'm only showing that Metaphysics has been used with the words theory, and philosophy. Nothing more, nothing less.

Quote:The point is metaphysics isn't a
theory. It isn't a science it's a philosophy.
I'm aware of that.. Sleepy

Quote:I
am pedantic and meticulous by nature Wink
It shows. But after a person has agreed with you, (like I did early on) anything after that comes off as being abrasive. Drinking Beverage

But I can't fault you, I'm that way at times myself. Big Grin

Science investigates, religion interprets.

I got my first like....[Image: weeping.gif] Thank you!
04-02-2013, 05:23 PM
What if Cats are no longer free?

[Image: normal_dead-cat.jpg]
04-02-2013, 08:34 PM
(04-02-2013 05:23 PM)Julius Wrote:  What if Cats are no longer free?

We then would have to buy, or steal them...

Science investigates, religion interprets.

I got my first like....[Image: weeping.gif] Thank you!
05-02-2013, 11:15 PM
(04-02-2013 05:23 PM)Julius Wrote:  What if Cats are no longer free?

I love cats i am sorry I don't find this to funny :/